The Sewing Place

Crochet Hooks

Acorn

Crochet Hooks
« on: January 19, 2022, 12:40:37 PM »
Having finished my scarf and hat (all but blocking and fringing) I decided to brush up on my (very limited) crochet skills.  I have a kit to make a small blanket, which seems to be a good place to start.  Last night I was trying to find a crochet hook in the right size on Amazon and ended up completely swamped by what was on offer.

I have only used the ordinary (probably) Milward grey metal ones before, and have been quite happy with them.  Now, though, there are lots and lots of hooks with handles made of wood or plastic.  Do any of you use these, and do you find them good?  I'm reluctant to change from something I'm happy with, but don't wan to miss out if there's something better!

Also, what are the good brands of crochet hook.  I use (and love) Knitpro knitting needles, but the few Knitpro crochet hooks I found on Amazon didn't seem to be pointy enough to me - but the pictures weren't very good.

Oh, and I found a crochet hook of the right size in the end - Pony, beech, no handle - one had been supplied with the blanket kit!   :rolleyes:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Crochet Hooks
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 13:01:32 PM »
@Acorn I’ve been using these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=clover+amour+crochet+hook&crid=3KCMPHGIKHVE&sprefix=clover+amour+crochet+hook%2Caps%2C56&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_25

I bought a few of these last year. I like that they’re colour coded so easy to find the right one.
I have arthritis in my hands and find these are quite comfy.  The steel ones tend to hurt after a while. 
I have a few bamboo ones but not keen on those although I do like bamboo knitting needles. 

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 13:40:38 PM »
Thanks - those handles look a lot more usable than some - not so big, and nicely shaped.  I do get something - maybe arthritis - in my thumbs sometimes.  I think I will get one and try it out.   :thumb:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 14:20:44 PM »
Not cheap but I like them.  Hope you find them ok @Acorn

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 14:28:19 PM »
As with most things, I find it's a matter of personal taste. I've been crocheting/knitting for more years than I care to think about but I still use the "old fashioned" grey metal crochet hooks. I've tried plastic/padded/wooden/anything-else-you-can-think-of handles but they just don't feel right - to me. ;) Other people swear by them. I also use KnitPro knitting needles and love them but haven't found a modern equivalent for crochet that I'm happy with. The Pony hooks are a little lightweight, so I still use the Milward ones but I've had them for many years so today's ones may not be so sturdy. I did buy a set of generic hooks from EB** a couple of years ago. They were brightly coloured aluminium - all in larger sizes - and I found they were fine, so I think maybe you need to experiment in order to see what you like. Hope that helps. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 22:16:58 PM »
I have arthritis in my hand and fingers but found the Clover hooks were easiest for me to hold.  I don't crochet anymore but still have quite a few hooks.
Willing but not always able :)

FrancesL

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 22:19:44 PM »
I've used my mum's round metal ones on and off, I bought a set with bamboo handles which are nice to hold but my favourites are the LED light up ones - great for when you're using dark coloured yarn
Frances

Celia

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 09:36:31 AM »
I don’t have these  https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/needles-and-hooks/drops-circus-soft-grip-crochet-hooks-set-of-9-pink-leatherette-case but I have seen them and they are very nearly the same  as the clover ones but at a better price.  I use the Tulip ones but I bought them before the price went through the roof.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 18:09:51 PM »
Knitpro for me from my local wool shop here
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 18:38:31 PM »
Ooh, Knitpro and they're cheap!  Are you happy with how pointy the end is @sewmuchmore ?  The Pony beech one I'm using is nice to use, but a bit less pointy than I would like.

I'm going to Hobbycraft on Saturday, so I'll be able to see some properly.  Their website has a lot of different brands.

I'm getting on very well with my blanket kit.   :thumb: 

sewmuchmore

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 17:18:23 PM »
@Acorn they suit me, i did have a problem with one of the bigger sizes, it kept catching the fibres of the yarn i was using but i think this was more to do with the yarn than the hook.

Janet

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 17:23:27 PM »
@sewmuchmore are the handles round?

sewmuchmore

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 17:36:37 PM »
@Ohsewsimple no, they are contoured. I have attached photos that hopefully show the shape better. Ignore the stains, i am working with indigo dyed yarn at the moment and they bleed.

Janet

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 22:13:11 PM »
Ah ok might be worth a go @sewmuchmore. Thanks for the piccies.  Don’t need any new ones yet but always good to hear what other people think. 

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 21:13:40 PM »
I am conducting experiments!  I have a standard Pony metal hook, a Pony beech hook, A Knitpro hook and a Clover hook, and I am going to see which I like best before deciding where to throw my hat.

Unfortunately, the first part of my experiment (between the two Pony ones, as the other two only arrived today) shows me that it all depends on what you're doing with it!  The beech one is better if you're making bobbles, or doing anything where you're pulling through a lot of loops, the metal one is better if you're making ordinary (double or treble) stitches that go into a previous stitch, rather than into a space.

Of the two with handles, although I haven't crocheted with them yet, I like the shape of the Clover hook better, and the Knitpro handle.

I can see this experiment is really going to clarify things...  :rolleyes:   :laughing: