The Sewing Place

Privacy issues in Today and Cafe threads ... Now merged

Lilian

Privacy issues in Today and Cafe threads ... Now merged
« on: January 19, 2022, 22:03:56 PM »
I clicked on a link in my email that was a post in the 'Today' thread and it took me to the post.  I was on my iPad and not logged in.  Should this happen?  I thought the Café was only visible to subscribers ? :thinking:
Willing but not always able :)

Vezelay

Re: Privacy issues in Today and Cafe threads ... Now merged
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 22:23:59 PM »
I just checked and when logged out I can't see the Cafe at all. Maybe it was because you went in via a link?

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 22:26:42 PM »
It took me directly to the Today thread which is in the Café, not the Café as such. Just a thought. I will try again.

It must be to do with the link.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 05:36:56 AM »
I think it must be to do with the link but you're right to raise the question ....

Can non registered members get notified of threads in the Café or Today threads and access them via the link in the email or did the email go to you because you are a registered member/subscriber ?

Chicken? Egg? Chicken? @Mr Twingo
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 13:59:48 PM »
Today i opened TSP without logging in. At the bottom where is states the last post it was in the Today thread.  I clicked on it and it opened for me without logging in  :thinking:

realale

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 14:10:31 PM »
Today i opened TSP without logging in. At the bottom where is states the last post it was in the Today thread.  I clicked on it and it opened for me without logging in  :thinking:
Does your device remember you so you remain logged in whenever you open the site? Mine does that so I don't have to keep logging in.
Perhaps ask someone not on TSP to try on their device & see what comes up.
So many beers, so little time.

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 14:36:12 PM »
I have TSP open in another browser without me being logged in, and the last post recorded is in The Darkside at 14.10, on a thread which is open to all.  However, the latest post for me logged in (in a different browser, and at the same time) is in The Cafe at 14.34.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 14:38:14 PM »
I have just logged out and removed all cookies then tried TSP I couldn’t even see the cafe until I logged in. Not sure if this helps

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 14:45:43 PM »
I am only logged in permanently on my laptop. i was using my ipad this morning, not logged in, if the latest post is in the Today thread it lets me read it but not reply as not logged in  -<

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 14:55:30 PM »
Yes, even when you arent logged in it seems if you click on the "view the most recent posts in the forum" link at the bottom of the page you can view all the threads in question including this one, but as @Lilian says, you can't reply or post.

Oh and you can go back via the top thread chain to all the Today threads, but if you go back beyond that to the Cafe mother section you get a login screen.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 15:01:47 PM by Vezelay »

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 15:07:09 PM »
Oh yes - as @Vezelay says, in my other browser, even though the latest post given is correct, I can get to the most recent threads through that link, although it looks as though it's only the Today Thread section that is visible - I can't see the recent posts made directly in the Cafe.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »
If you're using two or more Apple devices, it's possible that 'Handover' is turned on. This is a handy feature that allows you to move seamlessly between devices and continue browsing without interruption.

Regardless, I have tweaked the permissions for the Today thread… could somebody please test?

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 09:38:19 AM »
The 'most recent posts' link now shows me nothing from the Cafe.  :thumb:  (On non-Apple laptop, the same setup I was using yesterday.)

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 09:42:26 AM »
Tweak seems to have worked @Mr Twingo. No Cafe or sub-Cafe posts including Today thread showing for me now when logged out.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 10:33:51 AM »
@Mr Twingo

@Renegade Sewist is having problems getting on the Today thread and has posted on page 3 of the Wordle thread. Maybe you can help advise?