The Sewing Place

Privacy issues in Today and Cafe threads ... Now merged

StitchinTime

Re: Privacy issues in Today and Cafe threads ... Now merged
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 11:04:27 AM »
 @Mr Twingo @WildAtlanticWay @Renegade Sewist

I think there might be some confusion between registered users and subscribers, but I don't know what the original plans were for the visibility of the Today thread.

I think viewing was to be limited, but I don't know whether this was to be to registered users (which @Renegade Sewist is) or to paying subscribers only (which @Renegade Sewist isn't). Perhaps @Iminei can advise.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 11:08:43 AM »
Personally, I prefer that The Cafe is only visible to subscribers, as otherwise anyone can easily register and read all about us, and it's not then private.

Lilian

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 11:26:11 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  that was my concern when I realised.  There can be some sensitive posts that was open to the world.

Thank you @MrTwingo  :thumb:
Willing but not always able :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 11:46:46 AM »
Not sure if I have completely lost the plot but I can't see today's daily thread.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 11:59:27 AM »
Some settings have been changed to restrict who can see the Today thread. It has been changed (at the moment) so that it is only viewable by subscribers.

Sewingsue

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 12:01:31 PM »
Thank you.

(Wanders off to check subscription status - or just withdraw quietly)
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lizzy777

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 12:05:38 PM »
Some settings have been changed to restrict who can see the Today thread. It has been changed (at the moment) so that it is only viewable by subscribers.

Oh! Nice to know after searching away for some time, like @Sewingsue.

Private Club then lol.  :rolleyes:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 12:07:36 PM »

Which is total BS.  :rant: Sewingj, before she deleted her membership, suggested TSP should curtail the Café section. This ought to do the trick.

It was nice knowing you. I don't do BS pay walls.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 12:08:11 PM »
Oh! Nice to know after searching away for some time, like @Sewingsue.

Private Club then lol.  :rolleyes:

Exactly. With no notice to boot.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

StitchinTime

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 12:13:29 PM »
@Lizzy777 @Renegade Sewist I'm not sure if the subscriber only setting is what was intended - there is some confusion between registered users and subscribers. Perhaps wait and see if the settings are changed.

Lilian

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 12:15:09 PM »
Exactly. With no notice to boot.

It was me who noticed the Today thread was visible to the world. It was posted a couple of days ago on the Today thread.  Knowing this thread was a child board of the Café where some personal posts are made I thought it only right to bring this to the attention of the admin.  I wouldn't like to think that I had posted something personal and that anyone in the world could find.

Willing but not always able :)

Mr Twingo

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 12:15:21 PM »
The permissions for the board were set to allow registered users, but not guests, to view the posts. I have changed the permissions so that only subscribers (and mods/admins, of course) can view the thread.

Acorn

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 12:23:43 PM »
Maybe we could have it set to allow registered users who have reached a certain level of posting, as well as subscribers. 

I totally understand - and agree with - not wanting anyone who may have joined just to take a look seeing the more personal posts, but the intention clearly isn't to block long-standing members who just don't want to be subscribers.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 12:34:19 PM »
I think it should remain as subscribers only as what's the point in any of us paying. It's only £10 for a whole year which is not a lot to ask and it helps with the running costs of TSP and i also like the privacy of the today thread.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 12:54:47 PM »
I'd like the Cafe to be only visible to Subscribers and long-standing registered members, as Acorn suggested. 
I know I've posted things that I thought were only viewable by subscribers in the past, but maybe I was wrong?

@Renegade Sewist I believe that the subscriptions actually enable the forum to exist, as there are of course costs involved with the hosting etc.  Without those of us who do pay ( a piffling little £10 a year) this forum wouldn't be here.