The Sewing Place

Silk Velvet - help!!

Helcat_42

Re: Silk Velvet - help!!
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 07:28:48 AM »
@Iminei thank you  :love:

Well, I am going to a ball after all, so wanted to make something a bit special.

I had this idea to make a neck ruffle with peacock feathers but I think that might be slightly beyond my skill set ...

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 12:24:56 PM »
@Helcat_42 Beyond any doubt the hardest was this one
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It was a 'Belle' dress for Beauty and the Beast, boned corset, double pleated skirt and peplum.  Hand beaded and lace hand sewn too.  Took me forever, and all made with some weird kind of waterproof canvas that had cost next to nothing  :laughing: but was a nightmare to get a needle through.
To make matters worse it was never worn as the performance was cancelled the month before due to a death in the cast and close family members also in it.
It now sits under the stage at the theatre waiting for it's time to shine  :dance:
BB

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Helcat_42

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 12:49:58 PM »
@Helcat_42 Beyond any doubt the hardest was this one
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
It was a 'Belle' dress for Beauty and the Beast, boned corset, double pleated skirt and peplum.  Hand beaded and lace hand sewn too.  Took me forever, and all made with some weird kind of waterproof canvas that had cost next to nothing  :laughing: but was a nightmare to get a needle through.
To make matters worse it was never worn as the performance was cancelled the month before due to a death in the cast and close family members also in it.
It now sits under the stage at the theatre waiting for it's time to shine  :dance:
BB

That is amazing - but so sad the dress didn't get to go to the ball - at least when required you can do a proper Blue Peter flourish with one you made earlier :)

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 13:15:37 PM »
@Helcat_42 Thanks, I suddenly remembered it also had an oily feel to it and I had to wash my hands thoroughly throughout the process.  The 'fabric' (I use the term loosely) was washed before using and it came out bone dry as it was waterproof and not sure it had removed any of the ickyness.  Although I am sure it will be preserved forever  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Helcat_42

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 13:27:36 PM »
@Helcat_42 Thanks, I suddenly remembered it also had an oily feel to it and I had to wash my hands thoroughly throughout the process.  The 'fabric' (I use the term loosely) was washed before using and it came out bone dry as it was waterproof and not sure it had removed any of the ickyness.  Although I am sure it will be preserved forever  :laughing:
BB
@Bumblebuncher and also perfect if they wanted to perform it "on ice" :)