The Sewing Place

Silk Velvet - help!!

Helcat_42

Silk Velvet - help!!
« on: January 20, 2022, 08:52:48 AM »
I have pushed the boat out and ordered some silk velvet to make an overdress for a dress I am making for Secret Cinema does Bridgerton but I am somewhat perplexed.

I have never sewed with silk velvet before (because it's not cheap)

When I have sewed with velvet or velour there is an obvious pile - but I can't work out whether this does has a pile and I can't find it or it doesn't have it - there isn't an obvious change in colour or feel when I run my finger over it ...

Please can someone help me <hopeful face>

BrendaP

Re: Silk Velvet - help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 09:02:50 AM »
If there isn't an obvious direction it won't matter which way you cut it but use a one-way layout as you would for any fabric with a pile/nap.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 09:22:00 AM »
here is a useful article on sewing velvet. As @BrendaP says i would still cut out your pattern pieces in the same direction, it may not feel as if it has a nap but have you looked at the fabric from both directions, up and down, does it appear lighter/darker if it does then it has a nap. If the colour is exactly the same from which ever angle you look at it then there is no nap.
Good luck
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 09:24:19 AM »
It might help to take a black and white photograph of it with part smoothed one way, and part the other - black and white often shows up really subtle colour changes that aren't visible in colour.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Helcat_42

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 10:41:37 AM »
Thank you all - some really good tips.

I have tried holding it both ways; it's a navy blue velvet (I don't know if that makes a difference)

with other velvet you could tell by brushing it with your finger (i.e. smooth one way, slightly rough on the other) but this just seems soft both way.

Would definitely cut it all the same direction.

I will try the black and white photo and see if that makes a difference.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 11:17:17 AM »
Be very careful pressing this. One of those insanely expensive velvet press boards would be good. Not sure if the heavily napped Turkish towel routine works well with silk velvet.

What I do know is it embosses beautifully.

Eta: I've never known a velvet to not have a nap. I just read Folkwear patterns info stating that silk velvet, technically silk /rayon velvet, definitely has a nap. I know sometimes it isn't obvious unless under certain lighting conditions. Always best to assume a nap, decide which end is up and be consistent.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 12:30:04 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 11:59:43 AM »
Mark the ' top' of the fabric with a coloured thread. Also Mark each piece you cut, and what is left, the same way. Then you are sure the nap is right. Don't want to find out when you sew it!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Helcat_42

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 07:48:35 AM »
I am so grateful for all the advice, and eventually I did manage to determine there was a slight nap. I made sure I cut all the pieces the same way (boy was it fidgety in the cutting out).

It lulled me into a false sense of security whilst sewing the bodice side and the front to the back piece when I attempted to sew it to the cotton lining ... cue a fair amount unpicking, swearing and then tacking to within an inch of its life.

I will say that I am so glad I have a walking foot and also that this silk velvet anyway prefers to be sewn to silk velvet and not anything else; also that slow is better ...

I am pleased with what I have achieved so far, although I do need to straighten then bottom and hem (possibly embelish) and do some hand stitching to make it lie better ...

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 12:39:10 PM »
How pretty!  It really makes me hanker for my old costuming days.  I made one similar a few years ago although it was made with the cheapest fabric I could find for the stage  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Helcat_42

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 13:33:22 PM »
How pretty!  It really makes me hanker for my old costuming days.  I made one similar a few years ago although it was made with the cheapest fabric I could find for the stage  :laughing:
BB

Any pictures? I am always keen to find inspiration for the next one ...

It will be re-used as I promenade at the Jane Austen festival every year and this year we are hoping to go to the Country dance as well; but I have in the past made them out of all duvets/curtains (brilliant to get wide enough for the back skirt piece).

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 14:25:20 PM »
Looking really nice!  Well done on sewing that stuff! 

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 14:45:14 PM »
It looks lovely,  well done.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 15:58:43 PM »
@Helcat_42  I will have a look for pics, I am sure there are some around somewhere but as it was about 5 years ago I have no idea where!
BB
Found it!
dress
As I recall it was used for Robin Hood and was a set of three but can only find one.
I believe it was made in a day with fabric costing about £3  :laughing:
Not exactly on the same level as yours but the same kind of thing.  I always chundered through the normal costumes and then spent weeks on the 'special' ones for the ending, although they still only cost a few pounds each from various donations and cheap buys.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 16:45:35 PM by Bumblebuncher »
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 07:24:05 AM »
I have added the article on how to sew Velvet to the Tutorials Area of TSP ... Fabulous dress @Helcat_42

You are so talented and I am, as ever, in awe of people who can sew clothes, altho' I think that beautiful dress warrants a more sophisticated(?) description .... Eveningwear?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Helcat_42

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 07:25:38 AM »
@Bumblebuncher Love it - and the trim on the edges. On the previous dress to this one I have started playing with piping on the neckline ...

What's the most difficult costume you had to sew?