The Sewing Place

1936 (I think) Singer 99k worth it?

WildAtlanticWay

Re: 1936 (I think) Singer 99k worth it?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 09:10:11 AM »
Is it specifically a 99K that you’re after or just a nice old straight stitcher in good condition?

I bought a Japanese made Novum from my local charity shop for about €3. It just needed a good clean and I replaced the motor with a new one and put an led bulb in it. It sews beautifully and isn’t a collectors item, so I could strip it and repaint in a fancy colour, if I want to without upsetting the purists.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sewing-Machine-Master-Guide-Expert-ebook/dp/B00FEX075Q/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1642756110&sr=8-1

I bought the Kindle version of this book as it contains some very handy info. on older machines. Although, maybe I got it free with my Prime membership?

Bill

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 10:04:44 AM »
No not specifically the 99k but an old singer definitely.
I love the look of those old ones. The shape, colour, artistry etc. Plus, it'd be nice to own something that old and keep it going so it isn't destined for the dump...keeping a bit of history as it were.
I'm also informed by just about everyone on the planet that the old singers have a stitch quality that even the most fancy modern machines struggle to match.
I'll have another look when financial issues are a wee bit less depressing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:40:38 AM by Bill »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »
It’s amazing just how many people have ancient Singers in their lofts and garages.

I was given one last year that needs a bit of work so have started to take it apart, but not got that far yet. On Tuesday, I met two friends for coffee and the younger one said “I’ve got one of those black hand crank sewing machines in my loft. I think the handle is broken?” I told her that they can usually be repaired so to get it out and I’d take a look.

Ask around your friends, local charity shops or put an advert on your local Facebook page. Make it clear that you’re only willing to pay a tenner and see what comes up? Obviously, you can offer more if it’s in excellent condition but there’s still plenty of decent ones hiding away.

I’m not completely convinced about the better stitch quality. My 1300 is perfectly fine for everything I need to sew.  :)

Sewingsue

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 11:12:32 AM »
On Tuesday, I met two friends for coffee and the younger one said “I’ve got one of those black hand crank sewing machines in my loft. I think the handle is broken?” I told her that they can usually be repaired so to get it out and I’d take a look.

If she knows nothing about old machines like that is it possible that the handle is just released from its 'clip' and swung round for packing away?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Surest1tch

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 18:00:53 PM »
I'd steer well clear, meet at a junction so you'll have no chance to try it or inspect it properly, cash only so no PayPal back up :scream:

Lace

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2022, 18:37:18 PM »
Hello Bill, I agree mostly with the other advice. It is a shame that this model 99K-31 was produced with a poor quality case.  It is a 3/4 model and has a back tack function, compared to the earlier knob control variant, so in a better condition would be quite desirable.  Singer Sewing Info has more detail; (I hope I haven't broken the rules by giving that name). These machines are often missing their bobbin plate but replacements can be got and new bases can be made.   The motor is just bolted to the body so could be removed for repair/servicing/wiring if necessary.  It could all cost as much as the asking price unless you wanted to do the work yourself, which many do. There are lots of videos and a couple of useful forums elsewhere. The screws were manufactured by Singer so any machine that is dumped is a tragedy as the spare parts are lost as well.  Some places have dumped items for sale and it's better to get one that you can collect yourself and not have couriered to you, depending on the packing skill of the seller. I have ten of these beautiful machines and do very little sewing on them... I hope you find your machine before too long.
Formerly at The Sewing Forum. Singer 12K, two 28Ks, 66K, 99K, four 201Ks, 221K, two drawing room cabinets, and Bernina Sport. All dating from 1891 to 1981.

annieeg

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2022, 13:13:43 PM »
FYI I have a handcrank 99K which I used while we had 3 day power cut during the storm the other weekend.  It has a fantastic stitch quality and I was thinking of converting it to electric but have no idea what that would cost.