The Sewing Place

help needed

purgatory

help needed
« on: January 20, 2022, 19:52:31 PM »
I'm sorry for posting in the wrong place but couldn't find where to put it
I'm having issues with my sewing machine, its quite often fraying the thread as it goes through the backwards n on the machine as you thread it through to the metal arm that goes up and down with the needle, then it is also pulling the top thread down into the bobbin area and jamming,
I have turned down the tension on top thread and bobbin, I've taken off the metal plate above the bobbin and feed dogs and cleared it of pulled down thread and any lint I can see without success
anyone have any ideas on what is causing it and how I can fix it please?

LeilaMay

Re: help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 20:05:32 PM »
I think it would be helpful to know what kind of machine you have?

Then you would be checking you have the threading correct, and the needle facing the right direction and so on.

But what kind of machine is it?  :)

purgatory

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 20:10:59 PM »
its an uten never heard of them before but gave it a shot and its pretty good when its working
its a computerized machine
the threading is correct as we went over that the last time it played up and I had been threading it wrong! so I'm confident I fixed that and the needle is put in with the flat side facing back

StitchinTime

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 07:15:36 AM »
Is it pulling down the top thread into the bobbin area when you start sewing? If so, this might be because you need to hold the threads while the first few stitches are made. (See tip 4 in this article https://hobbycouture.com/en/a/tips-tricks-for-sewing-machine-beginners)

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 09:10:06 AM »
What thread are you using? The fraying sounds like a problem you get with using poor quality thread i.e. wooly polyester and have you checked the bobbin thread is coming of the right way?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 09:19:40 AM »
I'd try a different thread too - I had some (free) Frister and Rossman threads that just shredded when I tried to use them.  They are now sat in their very own isolation box, cos I can't use them but can't bear to throw them away!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 10:30:27 AM »
If you’re using the cheaper threads like the ones sold in Lidl, I’d definitely start with changing the thread to a named brand such as Gütermann for both your top and bobbin threads.

Some computerised machines are much fussier than the older basic electric machines.

My computerised Juki won’t work with cheaper threads, even Coates, and regularly gets in a tizz but my Brother machine isn’t that fussy.

Sewbusy

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 10:38:21 AM »
Are you bringing the bobbin thread up properly before you start sewing?

purgatory

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 14:51:45 PM »
hi thanks for all the replies, now to hopefully answer them all, the fraying was happening even when using my gutterman thread, it is happening after a few stitches or even after I have backstitched a little so maybe I should be holding the threads though on such a modern machine I didn't think that would be needed.
the bobbin is put in according to the manual and little diagram on the cover, I have pulled up the bobbin thread before starting to stitch
I have actually been in touch with them and am going to get a refund on this machine as its the second time it has started to play up and I intend to get either a brother or possibly a singer instead.
so in the meantime I decided to get out my little mini machine that I bought to begin this sewing journey...and that is doing the same thing!! I did think of the thread which at that point was a cheap one because I was matching colours but I switched it out for a gutermann thread and cleaned out the bobbin area and it just did it again! but not sure that machine is working right though as I threaded it according to instructions but the thread seems to bounce about all loosely and the thing is so noisy as it runs and I don't think that's right,
if I feel like it later I might get out the monstrously heavy jones machine I have and try on that!
thanks for everyone's input

StitchinTime

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 15:04:57 PM »
Glad to hear that you are going to be able to get a refund on the machine.

When threading the machines, do you have the presser foot up? It needs to be up so that the tension disks are open and the thread can sit properly between them.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 16:24:57 PM »
@purgatory  Is the needle pushed up as high as it will go in the clamp? Too low down might affect the timing of the loop. If the thread is held up somewhere it might pull against the needle and cause fraying. 
Is the needle good, and the right size for the thread?   A rough eye or a too small needle would both cause fraying.  (apologies if someone has already suggested this, but I didn't see it)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 16:37:16 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

purgatory

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 17:38:29 PM »
@StitchinTime
I think it was up but i cant be sure will endeavour to check on that when I go back to it, had quite enough of it for today  :angry: :D

@toileandtrouble I haven't actually checked the needle so that could be an issue but the fraying is happening before it gets to the needle it was up in the lever arm space

realale

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 15:46:22 PM »
Check around the area where the thread is fraying to see if there is anything rough for the thread to catch on. Is it the same thread or different threads? If it's the same thread you could just have a bad spool.
So many beers, so little time.

purgatory

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 16:42:16 PM »
not sure if it happened with different threads but I cant really check for anything rough as its in the channel the needle arm is housed and I cant really see in there
of course my new problem is the fact the thread is being pulled down into the bobbin area on two different machines! what am I doing wrong? I've been sewing fine for months with no issues and doing nothing different to what I have been doing!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 17:10:23 PM »
When is the thread being pulled down into the bobbin area?   When you start sewing or in the middle of a seam?   Are you sewing on single fabric or double?   Are the needles the right ones for your fabric?   I know, so many questions  :rolleyes.  But if it’s happening on 2 machines I’m guessing it’s your technique somehow.