The Sewing Place

Janome Finesse 234

K.H.

Janome Finesse 234
« on: January 21, 2022, 19:23:37 PM »
Hi

I've just bought a second hand overlocker, a Janome Finesse 234, and I was just wondering, is it a good machine? I can't seem to find much info about it.

I'm guessing it dates from the 80's? Not sure, I can't find any dates on it or the manual.

It is in really good condition, just needs a bit of a clean up and a service, but I have threaded it, and got the tensions sorted and it seems to work really well so far.

I only paid £40 for it. Did I do OK? Or is it a lemon?
Still learning!
My machine list: Toyota SPA34 and Janome Finesse 234 overlocker.

Acorn

Re: Janome Finesse 234
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 19:32:24 PM »
I'd say that at £40, if it works well, you did well!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 21:13:59 PM »
At that price you can hardly go wrong!  ;)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lizzy777

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 21:26:18 PM »
Hi

I've just bought a second hand overlocker, a Janome Finesse 234, and I was just wondering, is it a good machine? I can't seem to find much info about it.

I'm guessing it dates from the 80's? Not sure, I can't find any dates on it or the manual.

I did a bit of googling about and it does seem to lead to Janome in South Africa?  If it looks ok and works well then yes it is a bargain.  Maybe have a look at Janome overlockers here in the UK and see if any share some similarities to your overlocker?  Does your manual hold any clues as to where it may have been made or where to send it back if it needs to go back under warranty etc? Or any contact numbers etc?

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 21:26:53 PM »
Sounds good! You can't go wrong at that price.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

K.H.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 23:25:17 PM »
I did a bit of googling about and it does seem to lead to Janome in South Africa?  If it looks ok and works well then yes it is a bargain.  Maybe have a look at Janome overlockers here in the UK and see if any share some similarities to your overlocker?  Does your manual hold any clues as to where it may have been made or where to send it back if it needs to go back under warranty etc? Or any contact numbers etc?
The lady I bought it from is indeed from South Africa, so that makes sense then. As for warranty? I think by the styling of the manual and the machine itself I'd say it was vintage 80s or 90s at the latest so I'll not worry about that I think.
Still learning!
My machine list: Toyota SPA34 and Janome Finesse 234 overlocker.

Lizzy777

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 01:44:13 AM »
The lady I bought it from is indeed from South Africa, so that makes sense then. As for warranty? I think by the styling of the manual and the machine itself I'd say it was vintage 80s or 90s at the latest so I'll not worry about that I think.

That solves the riddle then about the overlocker. I maybe, didn't explain myself so well but the reason I meant to look up further info from the manual was to work out where the model may have come from but it seems the Janome Finesse may be imported and sold under licence in South Africa. I couldn't work out the age of the model you have but would imagine the Janome overlockers in the UK must have/had a similar model but doesn't have the word  finesse in its title?

My first overlocker was a Janome (I still have it) and Janome are a great make. Should last you a long while.  :)

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2022, 09:56:21 AM »
I'd say you can't really go wrong with a Janome, whatever the age @K.H.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Kad

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2022, 10:02:54 AM »
My first, and only, overlocker is a Janome 634D, bought from Hobkirks in the late 80's/ early 90's. It's used a lot more these days than when I first got it, think that more  knit fabrics are available now perhaps. It's still going strong and only requires regular oiling and de-fluffing and very, very occasionally a new knife blade. Unless it goes up in smoke, I don't foresee that I'll have to replace it ever  <3
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

realale

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2022, 15:52:20 PM »
My first, and only, overlocker is a Janome 634D, bought from Hobkirks in the late 80's/ early 90's.
Apart from buying from Hobkirks that is my story as well!! Lovely machine and sews through everything I've ever thrown at her.  :thumb:
Hope you enjoy your new machine @K.H.
So many beers, so little time.