The Sewing Place

"Look what I did with my scraps" Contest - February 1 - 28 (photos by 4th March)

SewRuthieSews

Hello everyone, yes its nearly time for our second contest of 2022, which is one of my personal favourite topics - scrap busting!

Look what I did with my scraps!

Rules:
1. Sew a garment, accessory or home dec item using multiple scraps.

2. Post a picture of your pile of scraps before you start and/or include it in your submission post.

Note: There isn't a limit on the size of a "scrap" however it should be leftover from a previous project and not big enough on its own for the new project. You may use another fabric for the backing, lining or other supporting non-visible role if required.

Timeframe: Construction starts on 1st February and the item must be completed by 28th February.
All entries need to be uploaded with the template and at least one photo by 4th March.

Template: Please submit your entries in this thread using this template

Details to include:
Your User Name and Entry Number (if entering more than once)
What it is with a short description on how you made it, any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos
PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT!

There will be a poll for Forum members to vote for their favourite(s).
(Number of votes will be proportional to the number of entries. If there are only 1 or 2 entries I won't run the poll.)

The winner can choose from The Sewing Places's
Prize Winners Enamel badge or Sew on Embroidered Patch!!!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 10:27:22 AM by SewRuthieSews »

SewRuthieSews

I've been thinking about what I would do for this contest (obviously won't be entering as I'm the mod for contests!).

For the rainbow quilt I made last year I got out lots of my own scraps, but also got bits of fabrics from my mum and Auntie, left over from their projects, Auntie in particular was a goldmine as she's been making clothing for herself, kids, grandkids and others.

I noticed that there were a few pieces in the blues section (her favourite colour) that could work together nicely for a multi fabric shirt, with maybe a few other bits added in.

After a bit of a search I found 5 pieces which sort of work together, the smallest ones at the top (red/white paisley and red strawberries) could only be a cuff or collar, the middle ones (the two spotty ones) a front or sleeve, and I think the back and anything extra will be from the bottom fabric as I have the most of that one (though still not enough for a whole shirt).
The blue with white spots has a slightly different hand to the others, so although it works colour wise it may get dropped.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 18:38:32 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Bumblebuncher

I keep having various bits of fabric floating around in my head but can't think of a way to put them together in a useful way  :thinking:
I have the scraps but no inspiration!
@SewRuthieSews I love your fabric choices and the idea, I am envious of your decision making  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

The tricky bit is finding scraps that go together  ><
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

realale

I fancy making another scrap shirt. I was going to make one in December from my left over Christmas fabric but I ran out of time so I could do it ready for next December.  :thinking:
But I also saw an idea for a denim quilt using scrap fabric as coloured accents - but that was intended to be a long term project so probably too long term for this thread. :thinking:
I have loads of scrap jersey which I could use for undies  :thinking:
And the oven mitt grabby thing has turned out quite useful so I may make another of those.......
 :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
So many beers, so little time.

HenriettaMaria

I haven't got any scraps - I turned 30-odd years of them all into bunting during Lockdown I in the expectation that we could have a delayed street party soon after.  Still waiting....

b15erk

I saw a picture of a lovely patchwork blouse somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't remember where.

I would like to try a shirt from various lace fabrics again.  I cut one out a few years ago, but no idea what happened to it...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

Hope you are all getting lots of ideas and inspiration for what you want to do for this one.

I have cut my shirt out of 4 of the 5 scraps in my photo, with the one with a different hand being used to make some cushions for a friend.

Ohsewsimple

Well I think I’m  going to join in with this.  This will be a first so expecting to mess it up when I post, so apologies now! 

I have sorted 3 thin sweater knits from previous cardigans I made with it.    All the same fabrics, different colours. Black, navy and royal blue.  It all came from Poland and was really cheap.  I’ve sketched out a plan for a cardigan using one of my own drafted patterns. 

Cazlyn

I’m planning to join in, not sure what I’m making but it’ll probably be an accessory.
Crafting is my happy place

Flobear

I made a teapot cosy and a hat last time we had scrap-using; naturally they are completely interchangeable  :D  Someone mentioned crumb quilting and I'd never heard of it so that set me off.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lachica

@Flobear does 'crumb quilting' involve biscuits? If so, I'm in.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Flobear

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Can do, as long as the crumbs don't lodge in the joins of the pieces, @Lachica.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewRuthieSews

Trying to decide what colour thread to use to sew up my multi fabric shirt, probably white.

realale

Trying to decide what colour thread to use to sew up my multi fabric shirt, probably white.
I'd go with blue as that's the dominant colour but a mid grey would also disappear. White would be good too though  ;)
So many beers, so little time.