The Sewing Place

"Look what I did with my scraps" Contest - February 1 - 28 (photos by 4th March)

Bumblebuncher

I give up on this one, I literally cannot think of anything to do. Added to that, I don't keep many scraps, only bits more than 1/2 metre as I used to end up with bin bags full and take them to the local primary.  i don't have room to keep them now.
I don't think I have anything that actually falls under the term 'scrap' to work with  :laughing:
But I am cheering on from the sidelines
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Bodgeitandscarper

@SewRuthieSews I'd plump for white thread too  :)

Not sure I can join in with this one, I try not to hoard scraps, only leather, and then they are "pieces" of leather that will make something anyway.

SewRuthieSews

Here are some thread choices. White and pale grey stand out too much imho
Red no good on blue
So its dark blue or dark grey - I think dark grey has the edge, though may not use for the buttonholes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 13:49:13 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Bumblebuncher

@SewRuthieSews Absolutely the bottom one on my computer (blue), but then all these screens show different colours so I may be in the minority with that  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

realale

I'm staying with my blue or grey options  :P
For buttonholes I'd go red - but then I do like things to stand out!!  :D
So many beers, so little time.

Bodgeitandscarper

Now I still prefer the white as there is white on every fabric, but really depends on where/what you'll use the red fabric for - as long as it doesn't need any top stitching then blue would be ok.

realale

Agreed @Bodgeitandscarper - as long as it's not top stitching it won't be noticed by anyone. And even the top stitching isn't usually noticed unless it's a strong contrast. It's only us, who peer closely at our own work and dissect it, that get too hung up!!  :P Do what ever feels right for you @SewRuthieSews and enjoy it.
I just realised most of my January makes were from scraps!! Pity I didn't wait.  :S

SewRuthieSews

The red and white fabric is used for the left front and both collar stands so it will have topstitching and loads of button holes. That might be a bit full on in dark blue, though given its a pretty bold shirt maybe that's not an issue?
I suppose white in the overlocker for all the inside seam finishing, maybe white for all the sewing the pieces together, and then some careful thought on the topstitching and hem.

SewRuthieSews

Here's the rough layout of the shirt.
The back is the same fabric as the sleeves.
The buttonholes will be on the red and white fabric.

Acorn

That's wonderful!  Personally I'd do the buttonholes in red, and the topstitching to match the fabric that was being topstitched.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

Wow. Looks great. I love garments with lots of different prints.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ohsewsimple

Looks great

SewRuthieSews

Yes I'm now embracing the fact I will be changing the thread as I make the shirt/blouse.
I'm going to put white on the overlocker and change between colours on the sewing machine as I do different steps.

realale

Wow, I do like that shirt @SewRuthieSews - or what those fabrics will become!! Just my cup of tea  :thumb:
Good decision on the thread choices.

SewRuthieSews

I've made good progress on my shirt, still needs the second cuff, buttonholes and buttons and hemming.
Changing the thread has been a little irritating but I'd rather do that than have white thread on a blue cuff!