The Sewing Place

"Look what I did with my scraps" Contest - February 1 - 28 (photos by 4th March)

SewRuthieSews

Setting up the voting thread for "Small but useful" showed me that we've probably used up a lot of our scraps (and ideas) in those projects!

Ohsewsimple

Back, fronts and sleeves.  Took a while to cut each piece making sure there was enough of each colour.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 14:15:38 PM by Ohsewsimple »

SewRuthieSews

That's very clever @Ohsewsimple, I'm looking forward to seeing it made up.

b15erk

Can I put my pillowslips on here @SewRuthieSews ?  They are genuinely scraps, being pieces cut off an enormous quilt cover?

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

made a couple of pillowslips out of duvet cover offcuts
@b15erk yes please do

b15erk

I bought a new duvet cover some time ago, and as it was in the sale, I got an extremely large cover very cheaply.  I cut it down to KS straight away, and have used it on the bed a few times.  I was left with 7" strips  of both main fabric and under fabric.  As it had been in the sale, I knew I couldn't get extra pillowslips, but had planned to make a pair from the off-cuts.

Yesterday it was time.  OH sweats profusely during the night, his head particularly, so I needed to change the slips.  I was irritated because it always means I have non matching pillows until I have washed and dried them (yes, I am so shallow). 

So, putting all other plans aside, the pillow slips were made from the strips.  I've had to add a little white sheeting on the tuck inside, and to eke out the pattern fabric (under the lace), but on the whole, I'm as pleased as I can be.  There is not even a scrap of the fabric left!

So, here are my  Scrappy Slips!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

annieeg

@b15erk
Your pillowslips :perfect10:

I bought a super king duvet cover and turned it into a king which gave an excess of 7" each side but I just left it inside  the cover  as a kind of super large seam allowance as I am soooo laazzy :embarrassed:

SewRuthieSews

I have super king duvets on both our super king bed and the guest bed which is a king, but its nice to have lots of overhang.
I could do with a bit of a bedding sort through - another day perhaps!

Ann

Ann Entry #1

I do not have a picture of the scraps but both are linen left over from another project. One was two small pieces that was equal in size to half a fat quarter and the other was one piece that was about .25/.3 meter but not the full width. The eyelet lace trim was left over from another project and the knit lace was from another project though there was 2 meters of it.

My biggest concern was fraying but I handled the fabric gently and serged all the seams.

The smaller pieces of fabric were used to make historical bloomers for an 18" doll. I used a pattern that I had and a hack the designer wrote on how to do it. There were no issues on making these bloomers though I was worried about having enough lace. I had about 3" total left over. It was an easy make.

The second project is a petticoat using the bigger piece of linen which matched the bloomers fabric. I spent quite a bit of time laying out the pattern pieces to get them all on it as I needed some bias strips to finish the center back seam. Though a more difficult pattern I had no real issues making the petticoat as the designer uses the same techniques on her historical skirt patterns. The center back seams are done in a Hong Kong finish and the other seams are serged to stop the fabric from fraying.

The tiny remaining pieces are now in the trash as nothing more can be made from them. A great use of scraps in the stash.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Helen M

A question please for @SewRuthieSews. Can I make an accessory or small garment from scraps of one colour or does it have to be from different pieces and different colours? 
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

SewRuthieSews

@Helen M yes the scraps can all be of one colour if that suits what you are doing.

SewRuthieSews

I finished and wore my multi fabric shirt before I took a photo, so apologies for the wrinkles.
It is great to wear with jeans to go to the pub!
A friend asked me if it was a CLAUDIO LUGLI shirt, which is a great compliment!
The pattern I used is from March 2020 Prima Magazine (a UK women's magazine).
I shortened the shirt dress pattern to be a shirt.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 21:40:57 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Acorn

I love it!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

Wow. Fabulous shirt @SewRuthieSews
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

SewRuthieSews