The Sewing Place

The Hoody Pattern Thread

SewRuthieSews

The Hoody Pattern Thread
« on: January 28, 2022, 16:18:13 PM »
The Feb Prima pattern is a zip front hoody, shown either in one fabric or colour blocked.

https://www.hearstmagazines.co.uk/prima-pattern-february-pri
for the £1.00 offer

The size range has changed to letters corresponding to a bigger size range (6-24) and the instructions have changed too, now having photos of the steps and more detail in the written instructions.

This is the sort of thing I do wear so would like to give it a try.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 13:23:11 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Ouryve

Re: Prima Feb 2022 Hoody Pattern
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 17:33:55 PM »
I might just pop into town, next week, to see if our one remaining shop Smith’s has it.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 17:46:35 PM »
@Ouryve if you buy the magazine in a shop it doesn't have the pattern included and you have to order it online.
So unless you really want the rest of the magazine you could just order the pattern for £1 from the link above.

Ouryve

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 21:01:01 PM »
Thanks. I shall save myself a walk, then!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Cazlyn

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 07:48:55 AM »
Thanks @SewRuthieSews for the link although I’ve missed out here and just bought a different hoodie pattern (cost more than a £1.00!). Nevermind perhaps we should have a hoody making encouragement thread?
Crafting is my happy place

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 13:21:52 PM »
Sure :-)

SewRuthieSews

Re: The Hoody Pattern Thread
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 13:29:43 PM »
I've not managed to make a successful zip front hoody.
One stretched out all down the front, another was too short and the print on the fleece wasn't as random as I'd thought so it just looked terrible.

Someone did answer that question on here, so I need to find that again!

Vezelay that looks great. What your tip for keeping the zip flat down the front?

SewRuthieSews I iron the zip first (old Craftsy tip) and always attach the zip with wondertape before I sew. With jersey I additionally use half inch knit hem tape to stabilise the inside edge but this time I decided the fleece was thick enough. My first ever zip jacket from a few years ago (now used for gardening) has a rather wavy zip, but I probably didn't take any of these measures. I must say wondertape is a magic bullet for zips in general - this cheap knock off works for me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 13:33:50 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 13:31:24 PM »
Although it is  £2.99 with free postage on the page i am looking at! Still a bargain and i was desperately looking for a pattern like this a couple of months ago, then ended up bodging it myself  :laughing:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

SewRuthieSews

Ouryve

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 13:40:20 PM »
I shall bear that zip tip in mind when I make my Stanton Hoodie. Probably won't get onto that before March, mind.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2022, 13:47:13 PM »
@SewRuthieSews  I did click the link and still ended up with £2.99 (doesn't like me).
I still ordered it though!  As I said £2.99 still a bargain  :thumb:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Cazlyn

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2022, 14:09:19 PM »
I will be making the Josie Hoody from Stylearc, my fleece fabric feels a bit thin but I’ll give it a go and see how it turns out.
Crafting is my happy place

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2022, 16:13:41 PM »
SNAP! Knew I recognised that picture. The same pattern was free with Simply Sewing magazine a few years ago. I might  give it a go.  :)

Also, there’s some feedback if you look up ‘Carmen Hoodie’ on the Pattern Review website.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 16:25:34 PM by WildAtlanticWay »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 09:00:10 AM »
That's very interesting thank you @WildAtlanticWay sort of explains why its nothing like the normal Prima patterns. I'll go and read a few reviews!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 09:24:07 AM »
I see there are corrections for the Carmen pattern

https://www.gathered.how/sewing-and-quilting/sewing/simply-sewing-pattern-updates/#CARMEN

I wonder if these have been included in the Prima version or not.