The Sewing Place

Next thing on my needles

LeilaMay

Next thing on my needles
« on: January 29, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »
Having got over knitting too many socks for presents and a cowl knitted in a yarn I truly hated, I'm back on an even keel and knitting for my husband.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/going-stag

I knitted jumpers for him when were fist together - so several decades - and now he tells me that the burgundy red Aran was never his colour - he wore it twice maybe! So that is unraveled to become an Aran cardigan for me, and he is getting the 'Goingstag' jumper in denim blue - well "Mineral" by Rowan to be more precise.

He is very tall, so I'm adding more length in the body, and he likes his jumper with lots of room, so wider in the body. This confuses the arm length, because the armpits aren't where you'd expect them to be - but I'll sort that as we go  :)

I think I have more wool 'stashed' than I've ever had, what with some sock skeins I can't face right now, and  whole cardigans-worth of burgundy wound into balls, but I hope it will all get used and I won't buy anything more until I'm done.

Enjoy whatever your knitting
Leila  :drink:
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 11:59:21 AM by LeilaMay »

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Next thing on my needles
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 11:32:46 AM »
I'm not a hand knitter (although I did once knit an aran jumper for my ex, took over a year!) but I absolutely love that pattern!  I may have to try to convert it to machine knit.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 12:01:32 PM »
I'm not a hand knitter (although I did once knit an aran jumper for my ex, took over a year!) but I absolutely love that pattern!  I may have to try to convert it to machine knit.
This may well take over  year as well LOL  :)  He does know that.

I haven't ever used a knitting machine, so don't know what details it might be helpful to say?
As a hand-knit it is knitted bottom up and in the round. The stag's horn cable divides at the collar and continues over the shoulder and down the backs as single ropes of cable.

If I can tell you anything helpful do please say  :)

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 12:27:09 PM »
Have fun with that @LeilaMay . I enjoy hand-knitting, with cables and in-the-round, even better. Trouble is, OH wouldn't wear it much, he keeps nice things 'for best'!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 12:51:46 PM »
Have fun with that @LeilaMay . I enjoy hand-knitting, with cables and in-the-round, even better. Trouble is, OH wouldn't wear it much, he keeps nice things 'for best'!

My OH used to - but to be honest he's feeling the cold a bit more now that he's older, and he also struggles (at 6 foot 6 inches) to find things than keep on covering his back when he's bending over in the garden. So he's learning that I make them for him to wear, and "aren't they warm??"   :facepalm:

twopence

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 17:34:35 PM »
I like that pattern too @LeilaMay  and may well knit it for my OH eventually. He is over 6 foot with a very long body and arms. I have knitted him on Aran with a saddle shoulder and it was so heavy that my arms would ache.

LeilaMay

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 20:14:12 PM »
Did you know how easy it is to break a wooden tip off the metal 'neck' on your circular needles????
Not a happy knitter here - of course I only have one set of tips the right size  . . .

Not a fault by the way - I sat on the darned thing by mistake.

:angry:

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 20:16:19 PM »
Ouch!   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

LeilaMay

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 20:23:52 PM »
Ouch!   :o

LOL

Long side on, so not as dire as it might have sounded  - but they were brand new 4.5mm Cubics, so ouchy on the pocket. Can't but them locally either, they came by post along with wool, I'll have to pay P&P if I order another set. Locally I could buy birch tips - but not until Tuesday in Frome  :(  No idea what might be available in Wells on Monday - neither shop carries much stock for click-on type needle tips. . . .
My own fault though. So I guess I'll be piecing the quilt top for the next couple of days.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2022, 20:46:47 PM »
@LeilaMay - I was going to offer you my set of KnitPro Cubics in dark wood but I've just checked in my knitting pouch and they're 5.00mm. I've never used them as I don't seem to get on with them, and when I read your post I thought "Oh good, someone can get some use out of them". What a shame they're too big! :sorry:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

LeilaMay

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 13:38:09 PM »
@LeilaMay - I was going to offer you my set of KnitPro Cubics in dark wood but I've just checked in my knitting pouch and they're 5.00mm. I've never used them as I don't seem to get on with them, and when I read your post I thought "Oh good, someone can get some use out of them". What a shame they're too big! :sorry:

Thank you for the thought though  <3 They are my favourites, I have several sets of DPNS in various sizes - I find they are the least painful on my hands.
If you ever have a sort out  ?  :)

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 21:51:02 PM »
@LeilaMay - if I ever have a sort out I'll bear you in mind. ;) :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

LeilaMay

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2022, 11:45:12 AM »
I didn't take a finished photograph of this project, but here is one taken part-way through.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I found the pattern to be not very well written - especially in the collar area, and to contain at least definite error on stitch count that the author acknowledges but has never bothered to correct (it's a ten year old pattern on Ravelry)  :(

Certainly not a beginners knit, and I'm not entirely happy with the shoulder/neck shaping but beloved likes it, so tht's what counts  :)

Always happy to accept knitting pins - I have a collection of vintage and lots of working needles, but you never seem to have quite what you want  . .  LOL

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 12:01:42 PM »
Lovely - I really like the way the cable divides for the neckline.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.