The Sewing Place

Do two black beauties count as a collection?

Marniesews

Do two black beauties count as a collection?
« on: June 13, 2017, 01:12:23 AM »
Well it happened sooner than expected! Instead of a motor for my first 201K, she now has a sister treadle in a cabinet which also has a motor. :D Feeling very lucky that my OH seems to be getting interested in the mechanics & electricals.

We got her home late tonight after bringing her back from Stoke Newington and she's already out of her more modern-looking cabinet than her 1947 serial number suggests. It needs some tlc on the scratches & a watermark. I do like the striped door, not inlay we're thinking.

There are several attachments, no ruffler but I have one anyway. There is a foot that resembles a darning foot although it's tiny - I suppose because the needle doesn't swing. There's a loose hanging spring, no idea where that goes.

A few pics just for now but none of the black beauty herself as she's out for inspection. Looks very clean but she's very dry too so this will take more of hubby's time and ther wiring is burnt at the socket end so he's already reading up on that (hoping the motor can just be rewired). At least I hope to be able to use the treadle in the interim.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 01:22:18 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Tamnymore

Re: Do two black beauties count as a collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 06:54:03 AM »
Wow fantastic. I think of my group of sewing machines as more of a fleet than a collection! Great that OH acting as vintage sewing machine technician.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

arrow

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »
Hi Marnie, what a lucky find. I have seen treadle-motor combos, but they have been older industrial machines. If someone converted a machine to electric, they often removed the treadle parts.

For the darning foot; there is a tiny hole on the backside, where the metal parts join, that's where the other end of the spring goes. The foot works well, but I have yet to discover what the spring does. You adjust the foot to hoover just above the fabric with the fitting screw, but the spring action sort of never kicks in.

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »
Lovely!
And to answer your question, no, two is a pair, 3 is the start of a collection :)

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
I had a 201k which I called my 'dual fuel', but I swapped the motor onto another machine - very flexible these old machines!

Have a lovely time with your machines, it is a very slippery slope!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 17:05:30 PM »
Have a lovely time with your machines, it is a very slippery slope!

I'll say, especially now I know 3 is the defining number for a collection, LeilaMay!  ;) :D

I like the dual fuel moniker, I'll pinch that one.  0_0

If someone converted a machine to electric, they often removed the treadle parts.
I don't know how common this is but the bar of the treadle unhooks and then connects to the motor system so the treadle becomes the foot pedal. Very nice and no plastic foot pedal hanging around.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Roger

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 20:31:09 PM »
There are several attachments, no ruffler but I have one anyway. There is a foot that resembles a darning foot although it's tiny - I suppose because the needle doesn't swing. There's a loose hanging spring, no idea where that goes.

Those little darning/free motion feet are seriously sought after on eBay and quite rare, Hevsi did an article on them and they fit quite strangely and the spring has to be slightly activated and foot attached high so there is a slight pressure on the foot, read the article shes far better at explain than me. https://edsmum.wordpress.com/2011/01/17/simanco-121094-singer-darning-foot-the-tiny-one/

Beautiful 201 and nice to have some lovely attachments, the rufflers are like magic!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Roger

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 22:11:25 PM »
oops wrong place... Ive been a bit baffled all day
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 22:14:22 PM by Roger »
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 23:27:43 PM »
Thank you for the info on the darning foot, Roger. I've bookmarked Hevsi's page for when I get to have a go with it. In theory I could try in on my hand crank but I think free motion will definitely need both my hands.

arrow

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 23:58:00 PM »
Thanks for the reminder of Hevsis tutorial there. I need to go over it once more. I have used mine a bit, but at times I struggle a bit with tension on my 201. I am going to order a tension gauge as soon as I have found one that works for model 99 and 201, maybe even my Phoenix. My Elna Supermatic has a trial and error type of adjustment too, but I manage.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 14:45:11 PM »
No worries Arrow and Marnie,

Incidentally Arrow are you going to do us a post about your Phoenix?

arrow

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 15:52:34 PM »
I should do a post the Phoenix, take a few pictures and sort out the belt issues. However, I can let you know there's a chance of a post on a 99, but I will know in a day or two :- )