The Sewing Place

Fit and flare dress Simplicity 2247

Silver Rose

Fit and flare dress Simplicity 2247
« on: February 01, 2022, 12:31:20 PM »
This is what I'll make next. The fabric is a lovely soft jersey with not much stretch.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bumblebuncher

Re: Fit and flare dress Simplicity 2247
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 13:06:47 PM »
I have that pattern  :D
I am not sure I ever used it though, I will watch with interest and maybe make one too eventually!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

realale

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 13:32:06 PM »
That'll be a lovely dress in that fabric.  :thumb: I love making dresses, I just dont wear them..... Perhaps I should make more of an effort.
So many beers, so little time.

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 13:57:42 PM »
I have made several dresses with this pattern, it works well with cotton lawn and cotton  sateen. I do like princess seams. I cut it out this morning and got so stiff that afterwards I went for a walk round the close to straighten my back and stretch my legs. I always make  view B.
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 18:41:21 PM »
Another fan of Princess seams here.  Fabric looks a nice summery one.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 23:02:50 PM »
I have that pattern, have made it up and I wore the dress until it became shabby.  0_0  I used a cotton sateen with a tiny bit of stretch in it which eventually lost its stretch and the dress needed to be taken in at the sides, but by then the fabric was also beginning to fade and it ended up in the bin.

The neckline is big enough not to need a zip, so I just sewed the CB seam closed.   It went straight over my head without any problem.  As is my wont with a lot of dress patterns I added a couple of inches of flare to all the vertical seams (except CB) tapering to nothing at the waist.

I was pleased with it and might well make it again some day.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 07:32:08 AM »
I haven't made this in a stretchy fabric before and I thought with a V neckline it wouldn't  need a zip in the back so I am pleased to hear that it works @BrendaP
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 11:37:20 AM »
I'd definitely stabilise the neck before sewing.   I know there’s not a lot of stretch to the jersey.  But t9 be 8n the safe side.   :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 13:55:24 PM »
Thanks for the tip @Ohsewsimple  :thumb: . I pinned the  bodice together and fitted it on Mimi, looks ok, so far so good.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 12:45:58 PM »
Eleven days later and I have done a bit more, the neck facing is on and the bodice part needs a good press. More tomorrow maybe
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 12:56:35 PM »
After another 11 days I thought it about time I did some more. Ignoring the half finished bodice I sewed the skirt sections together and the sleeve seams, so far so good and then I calmly understitched the neck facing, that was the bit I was putting off. It all needs a good press before I sew anymore.
My thoughts are now with making a summer maxi dress with a free pattern (Threadcount TC2110) in Love Sewing magazine that i bought yesterday on my trip to Asda but I don't think I have any suitable fabric, perhaps I'll have a look for some challis or crepe as suggested on the pattern envelope.
Still learning

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 14:48:05 PM »
Well, @Silver Rose , if you get your act together for a summer dress, you will be just in time for the March "Here Comes Summer" contest that is about to be released into the wild  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 17:09:46 PM »
Before I was sent into a tizzy by the wonderful surprise in the post I did a bit more and unpicked the dodgy understitching on the V neckline and did it again  :angel:  just the sleeves to go in and the hem to  do now. I think I like it a bit more now, it fits well and feels soft and comfortable to wear.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 08:49:57 AM »
Just the hem to do, not my favourite job.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 11:52:04 AM »
Looking forward to seeing this  :thumb:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."