The Sewing Place

Wrong instructions

Celia

Wrong instructions
« on: February 03, 2022, 11:42:59 AM »
Didn’t know wether to post this on here or on the rant thread.

I am knitting more socks, this time toe up and saw a heel I didn’t know called the origami heel, I have knitted it twice now and have realised the pattern is wrong so looked up another pattern and guess what that is definitely wrong when you get to the shaping it showed 2 rows as knit and there is no garter ridge in the sock.

I am about to go back to a heel I have done before. 

Has anyone else had this problem, both heels were in books the first is this one. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Socks-Carte-Toes-Choose-Patterns/dp/1440304262/ref=pd_sbs_4/258-5295160-3381812?pd_rd_w=avnCg&pf_rd_p=c07415a0-09a7-4604-aaca-c3fcee246443&pf_rd_r=HXJSZDYV6GVVHSWKTF5V&pd_rd_r=888c6519-d3f6-401f-ab82-adfcbb37cb27&pd_rd_wg=kbMGg&pd_rd_i=1440304262&psc=1  And just look at the price, I didn’t obviously pay that but would willingly sell it for that.

Cazlyn

Re: Wrong instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 07:43:31 AM »
@Celia I always try the heel that is on the pattern but if it doesn’t work I go back to my tried and tested one which is make the flap, do the shaping and the pick up the stitches.

That book looks extremely expensive!
Crafting is my happy place

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 08:21:58 AM »
I have sometime found errors in Indie knitting patterns, it's annoying but good you have experience and knit the heel another way.
I don't have that book or anything by those authors to take a look.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 09:47:59 AM »
I have a favourite heel for knitting when I knit from the cuff down but don’t have one for toe up so I keep looking, if anyone has a good one and would be willing  to share I would be grateful.  I have done the garter stitch heel which I like but the person I am making them for doesn’t like the feel of it.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »
I have that book, and it's partner for cuff down socks, and I certainly didn't pay anything like that!

I don't think the instructions are wrong - unless I have a dfferent edition to you.  The only date in mine says copyright 2010.

You have been knitting the foot in the round.
Then work the instep stitches (knitting in the same direction assumed)
Rearrange the distribution of the stitches, but don't turn the work, it doesn't tell you to.
Then the first row of the heel is still going in the same direction, it is to knit 32 sts then turn.
Next row is purl.
After that it's alternate knit and purl rows until the heel is complete, ending with a knit row. No instruction to turn.
Redistribute the stitches and continue knitting in the round.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 17:45:34 PM »
Thanks for looking @BrendaP it was the other pattern book that had the garter stitch row not the one you have.

The problem with I found with the origami heel was after the turn of the heel but with your encouragement I have tried again and it worked with only 1 stitch out, so I think it might have been me.

The other book was The Sock knitter handbook and when I checked on Ravelry there are a lot on Errata in fact pages so I will give that book a miss.

Really pleased I tried again as I was getting dispirited.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 09:06:05 AM »
@Celia  I can't see a problem with the origami heel, or the origami toe, in the book I have which is this one
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Socks-Carte-jonelle-raffino/dp/B004MLF72Y/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3EUXLY0S6VXPR&keywords=socks+a+la+carte+book&qid=1644051648&s=books&sprefix=socks+a+la+carte%2Cstripbooks%2C85&sr=1-2  So long as you turn at the end of each row and alternate the rows with knit and purl you won't get a garter ridge.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 09:27:18 AM »
That is a different book to mine but it wasn’t a garter stitch ridge with this pattern I somehow managed to misread a number of stitches I think, yesterday I did it again and it worked well, thank you for your encouragement @BrendaP.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Sock-Knitters-Handbook-Expert-Advice-ebook/dp/B00BGHS0JE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2XG0LXDXWGFDG&keywords=The+knitter+handbook+of+socks&qid=1644053100&sprefix=the+knitter+handbook+of+socks%2Caps%2C65&sr=8-2 
This is the book with the garter stitch ridge error,  it’s a lovely book but you do have to check the patterns and also the errata from the publisher which is pages long.

Ann

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »
@Celia, Purl Together shows how to do the heel on her videos on knitting socks toe up. I may have to try toe up socks using her videos.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

Celia

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 11:29:39 AM »
Thank you @Ann I will have a look as I am quite keen on the toe up and although  have managed the heel from the first book it is ok but there might well be a better one out there.

Ann

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 16:16:13 PM »
Here is a link to different kinds of heels for top down, toe up, etc. There are links for many on how to do them. Hope this helps and should I add it to the sock page?
Stash Busting 2023

Celia

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 16:59:22 PM »
@Ann yes please that would be good, I am just off to have a good look at them.

realale

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 16:24:44 PM »
That is a very useful link @Ann, thank you. I've only ever done one style of heel - well, I am only on my fourth pair of socks so not exactly ground breaking!! I was interested to see so many designs and wondering whether to try one or stick with what I know.  :thinking: It won't happen till my next pair so no rush  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Ann

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 16:45:44 PM »
@realale, the site popped up on my Pinterest feed and I had a look at it. Thought it a good site to share with others.

I have done Cat Bordhi's sweet tomato heel and was lost within minutes of trying it. I must have tried it 5 times before I gave up on it. I have done the heel flap with the first 3 and last 3 stitches done in garter stitch. It was okay. I did either the afterthought or fish lips heel once. But learning how to do it Purl Together's way was wonderful. She explains why you knit into the back of the last stitch when doing the heel flap (turns the stitch for easier pick up for the gusset). I am a "why" person so this person answers my questions. It is simple and I can do it without too many problems. Most of my problems happen when I'm over tired. We all chose the heel we love but it is fun to try others some times. We also use methods done by famous sock knitters and often find they aren't for us. Been there done that one too.
Stash Busting 2023