The Sewing Place

Organising feet, rulers and needles.

Vezelay

Organising feet, rulers and needles.
« on: February 06, 2022, 11:38:51 AM »
I don't know why I didn't do this years ago - it would have saved a lot of grief hunting for feet in drawers (and down the back of cabinets), as well as remembering which foot did what. The larger foot box came from Powerfix via DH. Labels are from my gem of a Brother M95 mini printer.

I posted the needle holder when it first arrived, but just updating because it's been a very useful buy. I put a red marker in the compartment of the needle that's currently on my sewing machine so I always know what type and size - since I seem incapable of remembering -<.
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

And an obvious one: now rulers are no longer cluttering shelves - maybe need just one more wall screw for the French curve.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Organising feet, rulers and needles.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 12:17:12 PM »
Very neat and tidy.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
Can’t beat a good bit of organisation.

I also use the marker trick for remembering which needle is in the machine, it really works.

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 12:53:36 PM »
Ooh, love a nice bit of storage @Vezelay  :thumb:

Currently I write the size of the needle I'm using on the sewing machine body**. Previously used needles are stuck into a bit of paper with the size written by them!

eta ** only on the Bernina which is metal and I use a chinagraph pencil. On plastic casings I stick a piece of write-on-able sticky tape and write on that.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 19:40:09 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 13:07:49 PM »
Mine is nowhere near that organised!

I had no idea that needles have their size imprinted on their shank, until recently. Of course, it's barely readable, even under a magnifying lamp, so next to useless.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Kad

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 13:11:41 PM »
I return previously used needles to their packet threaded with a length of the thread that was last used. I blutack the packet of the current needle to the side of the machine, so I know the needle type.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 13:27:29 PM »
New needles are in a pot on my IKEA notice board.  I then put the used ones in a small tub that had beads in and throw them all away wrapped in masking tape.  I don't usually change a needle to a different size for different fabrics as I have different types of needles in different machines.  My leather needles are in my Pfaff 30 etc.
Since getting the notice board and pots I have felt like a goddess of organisation compared to before  :laughing:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 13:30:31 PM »
I'm no good with shelves @Vezelay  I don't like them, although it would save a lot of problems for me. What I do use are some boxes that were made for embroidery thread, got cardboard 'bobbins' in.  I use for my needles sorted through the different sizes,  with a couple of spare of each in my Perspex table's tray.  If I order anything from Jaycotts I try and get needles at the same time so I've always got plenty.  Some of the others have buttons in.  If they go for recycling I take buttons off.  Also I have a small Sharps box for used ones.

The needle I'm using, I leave the remainder of the packet on top of the machine near the bobbin, with my eye sight I don't think I'd be able to see in on a needle.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

realale

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 15:12:57 PM »
I've just hung my rulers up on the wall as well - as of yesterday. Why did I never think to do that before? They are so much handier there than rummaging about under the piles of detrius sewing paraphernalia that seems to accumulate on my work surfaces!!
You look very organised and tidy. I'm still working to get there.  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Vezelay

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 15:48:01 PM »
Just showing the inside of my needle organiser with a stick-on patch for used needles in each compartment. I tried a few of the recommended methods over the years - my most tried and trusted was storing a used needle in a scrap of the relevant fabric type with (hopefully) the size written on it - but nothing stopped me peering shortsightedly at needle shafts with a magnifying glass! So I've no regrets about spending under a tenner on this. I see Pattern Trace still have them.

I'm more productive in a tidy organised sewing room. If I don't clear and vac my sewing tables at the end of a session the mess puts me off resuming. Not good at cleaning though, that's a different matter :\.

KayK

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 18:02:26 PM »
Mine is nowhere near that organised!

I had no idea that needles have their size imprinted on their shank, until recently. Of course, it's barely readable, even under a magnifying lamp, so next to useless.
I am one of those lucky/unlucky what nots that CAN read the writing on the side of the needles without glasses - however, when it comes to seeing the end of my toes or my hand in front of my face, no such luck!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

realale

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 16:27:43 PM »
I am one of those lucky/unlucky what nots that CAN read the writing on the side of the needles without glasses - however, when it comes to seeing the end of my toes or my hand in front of my face, no such luck!
Yup, same here @KayK. Close to no problem, a few inches away it's fuzzy time and the distance is just an impressionistic blur!!
So many beers, so little time.

maliw

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 17:00:48 PM »
DD bought me a Skadis peg board from Ikea with some of the accessories. I have an art rail round the room and it hangs from that as do all my rulers on S hooks. (S hooks are from B&Q)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Ouryve

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 23:45:59 PM »

I have a fairly strong astigmatism so the whole world at any distance was behind Cybill Shepherd style net curtains without glasses before middle age made everything 10 harder.

We're an all glasses household. Eldest and husband are short sighted. When middle age caught up with husband, he would lift his glasses up to inspect his food from about 4" away. How I didn't rub his face in his lovingly made dinner, I have no idea. Youngest is very long sighted and perches his glasses on the end of his nose or else the whole world is gigantic.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"