The Sewing Place

Another which machine thread...

Bodgeitandscarper

Another which machine thread...
« on: June 13, 2017, 14:53:19 PM »
I do like my Elna 3003 that I've had for many years, but I am getting sick of it's crappy button holes - it never seems to do the correct length and makes the stitches very close up one side and further apart down the other, and there is no way of adjust that.  I obviously need a new machine  :D
I have no idea what make to get, I definitely need a good buttonholer, the ability to stitch through enough layers of denim (my Elna doesn't even falter at multiple layers) and possibly a font or three just for fun.
I have no sewing shops near me to try any, although Sewing Machine World at Kings Lynn is and hour and a quarter's drive in googlemaptime, so more like an hour and three quarters given the state of the roads and all the tractor traffic round here!
So, any suggestions gratefully received, researched and considered  0_0

b15erk

Re: Another which machine thread...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 15:54:03 PM »
Probably not what you want to hear Bodge, but for the very best buttonholes, I would recommend an old Singer machine, with a buttonhole attachment.  See, told you you wouldn't want to hear it!  ;)

I'm sure some of the modern ones have good buttonholers, but the old Singers make the best ones imho.  :)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Maximum

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 17:06:41 PM »
Regarding buttonholes I have to agree with Jessie, vintage is the way to go. Not only are they well made but they are so adjustable in terms of stitch length, width and also gap. I'm no expert but some modern machines the buttonhole you select is what you get and there is no fine tuning for a change of fabric.
When did you last have the Elna serviced or are you just ready for another?!
SMW are the UK distributors of Juki machines which appear to be robust and offer plenty of capability for the price. It's a pity they are not nearer so you can go and play/test with your own fabric and then go again and retest your short list machines after you have had a think and done some research.

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 17:31:45 PM »
I've not had chance to try out my buttonholer gadget attachment for my Singer 201Ks but of all my other machines the best buttonhole by far comes from my old Bernina 1020 (early nineties, I think). She's got a range of utlity and decorative stitches (including stretch) so, she really earns her keep.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 18:16:08 PM »
No, please don't tell me old machines are better!!  I obviously need a new one!
So far, I'm looking at the Janome Atelier 5 and the Pfaff Ambition 1.0.  I need to look at Berninas now.  0_0

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 18:46:10 PM »
And now I'm looking at a Juki G220, or Juki Exceed F500 - there are an awful lot of machines out there, so hard to know what to get.  I think I may need a trip to Kings Lynn.

Jo

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 18:48:28 PM »
Bodgeitandscarper, if I remember correctly, Iminei has a Janome Atelier 5, so maybe she could chime in and tell you about the buttonholes :) I know she loves it tho.

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 19:40:08 PM »
You get a lot of bang for your buck with a Juki.  I love mine. (Exceed F600)

Jo

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 19:42:33 PM »
I don't have a Juki sewing machine, but I do have an overlocker + coverstitch and love it as well! It's been a dream to work with!

Maximum

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 20:16:10 PM »
OK - you need/want/must have a new machine - it is allowed and you don't even have to have a reason!
I love my old Singers and I have an Elna Lotus but I'm also a Bernina girl. I got an old 830 Record which is superb and does lovely 5 step buttonholes but I recently treated myself to a Bernina 550 QE using an inheritance from my Mum who taught me to sew, many years ago.
If buttonholes are really important make up button bands in various fabrics and interfacings and with bulky seams so the presser foot isn't level. Shops tend to cheat slightly and just give you coarse, flat calico to test with.
Enjoy the search and let us know which way you jump :D

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 23:12:45 PM »
Skatersmum has a Juki sewing machine so you could ask her about buttonholes. Don't know how many she may have done as much of her sewing is lycra costumes but she's had it for a while now so may well have a more objective view than a new owner.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

arrow

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 00:30:24 AM »
I know owners brag something awful on their new Bernina and Husqvarna models, it's not the reasonably priced once, fancy models with fancy prices too ;- )

If you ever should have room for a vintage machine I can tell you they are very nice and dependable, and I say that comparing to any machine out there. There are lots of nice machines though, used and brand new. You really need to try the machine if you buy it mostly for the buttonholes, some models make them trouble free with sew-all weight thread on two layers of shirt fabric, but struggle with coat fabrics, top stitch thread, loosely woven fabrics,...   In theory:, if your Elna is a low shank, can drop the feed dogs, it should work well with a buttonholer attachment. It depends a bit upon the needle clamp though.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 13:59:34 PM »
Goid grief, machines now tie off and cut thread for you!  After 2 hours of playing and a tough test of buttonholes along the widthways stretch of jersey, I'm on my way home with a Pfaff Epression 4.2.   0_0   :sew:

Jo

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 14:25:53 PM »
Congratulations!  :toast:
May it help you sew beautiful things!

Efemera

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 14:30:17 PM »
Goid grief, machines now tie off and cut thread for you!  After 2 hours of playing and a tough test of buttonholes along the widthways stretch of jersey, I'm on my way home with a Pfaff Epression 4.2.   0_0   :sew:

I have the Expression 4.  It does great buttonholes and I couldn't be without the IDT system. I also have vintage Singers (3) a Juki and Bernina but I use the Pfaff the most.