The Sewing Place

Another which machine thread...

Marniesews

Re: Another which machine thread...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 15:32:09 PM »
Congratulations, I love the IDT on both my Pfaffs and so pleased that it's not restricted to their really expensive models as it is with Bernina sadly. It's even on most of the Pfaff basic mechanicals.

Have lots of fun!  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Maximum

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2017, 15:35:31 PM »
Well done! Happy bonding with the new baby  :)
Where did you get it from?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2017, 17:20:48 PM »
Just unpacked it , about to have fun.  Pleased to hear some of you like Pfaffs.  I bought it from Sewing Machine World, spent about 2 hours there, Steve was very helpful and knows his machines.  Almost tempted to a Juki DX7 (?) but the buttonhole length swung it in favour of the Pfaff.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 19:01:50 PM »
I have a Pfaff - Classicstyle Quilt 2027 - which I must have had for at least 15 years.  It sews beautifully, has never given me a day's trouble, and is capable of far more than I ask of it!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 19:36:51 PM »
It seems good, there was only once I had to get the needle plate off to remove the jammed-in fabric - but it was very fine jersey and I was not necessarily using the correct needle, and probably an unsuitable fancy stitch  :|
The buttonholes are brilliant, considering the thin jersey with no interfacing.  I love the buttons for presser foot up and down, and the thread cut and tie off - amazing.
One question - does anyone know if I do need the Pfaff bobbins for it?  The manual says so, but don't they always...

Acorn

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 19:54:42 PM »
Mine won't take general non-Pfaff bobbins, even if they look identical, but it is perfectly happy with substitutes that specifically say they are for Pfaff machines.

Thread cut and tie-off.   :o  Wow!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 19:58:59 PM »
Thanks Acorn, this one also has a bobbin-empty-sensor-thingy, so I did wonder about them.  I'd better get some ordered then...

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 20:08:48 PM »
That sounds like a good way for them to make sure you use their bobbins!  (And another wow!  :o I didn't know there was such a thing!)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 20:11:00 PM »
Enjoy!   I have an old Pfaff 7550 and love it.  It,s over 20 years old and comes out occasionally as I also have a Husqvarna SE.   
I would definitely get the correct bobbins.  Considering what you paid for the machine, it is a false economy to skimp on what is a relatively cheap thing.  You will get a better result and won't run the risk of damaging your machine.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 20:13:05 PM »
Bobbins ordered, thanks  0_0

Efemera

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 21:17:38 PM »
The other thing I got and improved top stitching was a straight stitch needle plate .....and I love my ruffler foot

http://www.sewingmachinesales.co.uk/sewingmachineparts/needle-plates/needle-plate-straight-stitch-inch-markings.htm

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 21:39:15 PM »
The other thing I got and improved top stitching was a straight stitch needle plate .....and I love my ruffler foot

http://www.sewingmachinesales.co.uk/sewingmachineparts/needle-plates/needle-plate-straight-stitch-inch-markings.htm
I was just about to order that, then checked my machine and I think it has that needle plate, or at least one with lines on.

Marniesews

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 23:03:36 PM »
I really loved my Pfaffs so much, both the fancy shmancy PP5 and the back to basics Select 3.2, both with IDT.  :D

After I got the old Bernina though I've realised how much I love the old mechanicals and while I wouldn't get rid of the Pfaffs (not both, anyway) I appear to have a natural bond with the old girl.  I'm clearly just contrary...or possibly more old and stuck in my ways than I'd realised!  -<
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

dolcevita

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 22:29:15 PM »
I bought a Pfaff QE 4.2 2 or 3 years ago now and get on very well with it.  It isn't fussy about thread and does buttonholes really well.  The auto thread cut does get a bit fouled now and again and it's worth discovering how to clean fluff from around it as it affects the performance.