The Sewing Place

Home made Roller Blind

Button Nose

Home made Roller Blind
« on: February 08, 2022, 12:35:58 PM »
Hello again, long time no post, I've been busy having my house renovated never again.

Can I make my own roller blind from quite thick furnishing fabric? Would it be too big a roll when it's open as the fabric's so thick? It'll be about 2m wide and 1.4m long.

If it's a possibility, could someone talk me through the process please?

Greybird

Re: Home made Roller Blind
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 14:34:00 PM »
I have done it, years ago. There is a plasticising solution you soak the fabric in and then leave it to dry I should wash the fabric first). It needs to dry hanging as flat as possible. If it's not too wide you could use drawing pins to fix it to a broom handle or similar. A clothes line won't do because it will dry with a sag in it which is then permanent. Use pegs along the bottom to pull it down. It's very difficult though to get it completely straight and flat so that it will roll up neatly and straight. Once it's dried, that's what you've got.

Personally, I think you get a better result as an amateur blind maker with roman blinds (my recent experience notwithstanding!). Good luck!

Button Nose

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 17:00:52 PM »
Thank you, Greybird, that's very informative and off-putting  ;)

I'm trying to opt for roller blinds throughout as I strongly believe they will be least attractive to those you know whats that have eight legs which scare the living daylights out of me. I've never had a roman blind, are they the sort of place scary things will lie in wait?

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 17:07:17 PM »
Yes, lots of crevices and several folds for arachnids to lurk in a Roman blind  :scream:

I would say if your furnishing fabric is anything thicker than a heavyish cotton you'd use for curtains, it would be too thick - says she with all her experience of making one roller blind!

There's plenty of info. on websites, and probably You Tube as well, to help you make roller blinds.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 17:44:02 PM »
2m wide is very wide. We had a wide one which my daughter chose. I think it may have been 2.1m? The sales assistant said it would be too heavy & would try to sag, she advised against it but DD wanted it so I bought it. It was standard thin, stiff fabric. It lasted about 6 months if I remember correctly. Roman blind would be a much better idea for making yourself as you can put extra cords in & it'll be supported all the way across the top. Never had spids in ours (I wouldn't have the blinds if there were).
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ouryve

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2022, 19:13:30 PM »
We re-hemmed our not particularly wide roller blinds, a few weeks ago and needed dh to support the weight as I stitched.

I shouted at him a lot.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 10:43:47 AM »
For all soft furnishings related queries MyDecozo is an excellent resource. 

Many of the contributers are professionals, and as such are very aware of safety issues including the height/length/safety mechanisms for the operating chains on blinds and fire safety regulations.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Button Nose

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 15:27:56 PM »
Thank you all very much for your most helpful answers, much appreciated.

I'm now having a re-think!  ;)

charlotte

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 10:44:21 AM »
How about a purchased roller blind inside the window recess with a faux blind peplum in your fancy upholstery fabric outside the window recess?