The Sewing Place

Painting laminate

Goth Gardiner

Painting laminate
« on: February 08, 2022, 13:09:37 PM »
I share my sewing room with some awful 80s fitted bedroom furniture.  If I were to get rid of it I would have to replace it with other wardrobes and storage, which I don't have the time or money (or strength) to do.  But, I don't think I can live with them much longer.  I just want plain white, to go with my white tables (or potentially pale pink to go with the walls).
[/size][size=78%][/size]
Has anyone ever painted laminate?  Or used sticky-backed wall-paper on it?[/font]

GG
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Acorn

Re: Painting laminate
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2022, 13:17:49 PM »
I have painted melamine very successfully.  Just make sure you use a good primer - they are available for precisely this purpose - because it will stop the paint from chipping too easily.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 14:22:02 PM »
Yes, I've painted laminate and it's still in good condition years later. Used water based primer/undercoat and then satin finish paint. I use Little Greene because I like oil based paint on furniture etc but you could use Farrow and Ball or Dulux Satinwood. I don't think the sticky backed wallpaper would work.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 15:51:55 PM »
I've used what used to be called Fablon - ie sticky-back plastic or self-adhesive film - on laminate before. It was extremely successful but you have to be really careful when applying to smooth out all the bubbles and tiny wrinkles. Once done, it looks good. :) I used a pale grey wood effect to cover white laminate cupboard doors.
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath