The Sewing Place

singer 95k40 is it worth restoring?

jk1066

singer 95k40 is it worth restoring?
« on: February 10, 2022, 09:40:05 AM »
I have a 1955 singer 95K40 . It is not in a good state- the main body is ok but all the metal bits attached e.g. tension unit etc are rusty. I anticipate a lot of work getting this to be usable. My question is should I bother? Will it be a machine that I like at the end of it all. It has a large black motor underneath the tatty table/cupboard which I haven't dared switch on - my thinking is if I can get the machine to work nicely I might upgrade to a servo motor for it with modern electrics. Singer 95 doesn't seem popular is there a reason for this?.

b15erk

Re: singer 95k40 is it worth restoring?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 10:17:26 AM »
I've done quite a few Singers, but not this model, and nothing which was badly rusted, although I believe it can be done.  Lots of useful Youtubes out there so help though, if you do a search.  A particular favourite of mine is Lizzie Lennard, she does some beautiful restorations.

Can you take a picture to help visualise the problem?

Good luck!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

jk1066

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 11:01:06 AM »
Thank you for replying I'll have a good look on youtube videos. I'm not a subscriber so I don't think I can upload a photo. It looks very like any of the vintage singers except less decoration and very slightly larger. There is no chrome anywhere but there may have been at one time.  The machine turns over and the needle bar goes up and down. All levers and other thread guides that are metal are rusty but moving. Underneath there doesn't appear to be rust. I don't think it is a clean with oil and wipe with a rag kind of exercise  Something much more aggressive is required. I'm not wanting the machine as an ornament but to use if it's any good as a sewing machine. Doesn't have reverse but not bothered too much about that.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 11:05:29 AM »
I think it is less common as it really is an industrial machine, not just being called one!
It would definitely need a new motor so you are on the right track there.  Few of these old machines are worth a lot of money but most do have a really nice stitch quality so whether you want to spend the time on it is really down to .. well, whether you want to or not  :laughing:
I did pull a machine from rust to prettiness and it is a very satisfying thing to do so good luck
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

charley

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 20:35:51 PM »
Maybe also look at this forum https://www.victoriansweatshop.com . This is a great forum for all types of vintage sewing machine restoration, or problem solving. There are lots of UK members, but it is a US forum. I'm sure that I have come across your machine on there.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 21:54:29 PM »
I have a 1955 singer 95K40 .

:VV:

It is not in a good state- the main body is ok but all the metal bits attached e.g. tension unit etc are rusty. I anticipate a lot of work getting this to be usable. My question is should I bother?
It is definitely worth it. A lot of the parts are standard, so not hard to replace. I have a 95k40 that I've cleaned up and replaced a few bit on, including the tension assembly. Very easy to do, so if you need any assistance, feel free to PM me.

Will it be a machine that I like at the end of it all. It has a large black motor underneath the tatty table/cupboard which I haven't dared switch on - my thinking is if I can get the machine to work nicely I might upgrade to a servo motor for it with modern electrics.

It's a curious beast – an industrial machine no larger than a domestic one. I removed the clutch motor and replaced it with a Jack 513A servo with needle positioner. Sews beautifully.

I altered the height of the needle bar so the machine can take standard industrial sized needles (DBx1) rather than the smaller Singer needles that can be tricky to find (88x1, I think).

The cupboard is made of laminated plywood, and let down by the back panel which is very cheap and flimsy. I reinforced mine with a couple of batons to stop it vibrating.

Singer 95 doesn't seem popular is there a reason for this?.
It's just not that common. The odd sized needles, no reverse lever, and an identity crisis don't help. If you want the build and power of an industrial machine in a domestic sized unit, you can't beat this machine.

jk1066

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 13:55:44 PM »
Thank you for the encouragement . It will be my next project after I've finished re covering the conservatory furniture. Hopefully this year!

jk1066

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 09:56:38 AM »
Just an extra thought about the singer 95k40. Mine is not in a cabinet - it sort of sits on top of a cupboard and doesn't fold inside. I'd like to find a cabinet where it would fold inside. It's quite a small machine would it fit in other cabinets designed for say a 201 ? or a treadle - does it have to be specific for a singer 95?

Mr Twingo

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 17:22:51 PM »
Good question. I have a vague recollection that the hinges are in slightly different positions on the 95K compared to the 201K. I'll have to fish my 201 out of the eaves to double check.