The Sewing Place

To Horn cabinet or not

Celia

To Horn cabinet or not
« on: February 10, 2022, 09:50:07 AM »
I know both @Diane and I are both thinking about Sewing cabinets, I have decided I like my machine downstairs at the moment it is on my sewing table which I like but I do not like the purple legs in the middle of my living room.

What I am asking is if you have a horn cabinet how much do you like it, also if anyone has one of the alternative cabinets can you join in. 

I had one years ago and found a problem with the leg room. The photo is of my present table but not where it is now.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 09:56:53 AM by Celia »

Gernella

Re: To Horn cabinet or not
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 10:03:53 AM »
I wanted one for years @Celia but gradually the lust disappeared when I realised that they are built to last and consequently would be hard work getting upstairs.  The other thing is a hobby can create a bit of a mess, and while I am happy to commandeer the dining room table for most of the summer, doors can be shut so that nobody sees any mess.

So I can understand why you don't like purple legs in your living room. By the way, that machine is so lush <3 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 10:27:00 AM »
I am not sure if this is of any use as I don't have a Horn but before having bedroom space I always worked in the lounge (with four kids, three cats, 2 boyfriends and a husband)(The boyfriends were the kids not mine!).  I would have killed for a horn cabinet but had to make do.  In the end I got my 401g Singer in a cabinet like this
this
And I also had an old single wardrobe with all my fabric and notions in. 
I still have the Singer cabinet and still have my machines on it even though I have it in a bedroom and could just have a table. It still has the old machine in it, but when closed it houses the over locker as well.
When I had it in the lounge it was lovely to be able to shut everything away and just have 'a piece of furniture'. But as has already been mentioned it is very heavy, not as heavy as a Horn, and a lot of that is because of the sewing machine in it!  It was a nightmare to get upstairs but not as much of a nightmare as a Horn would have been.
I also have a gateleg table that closes to a width of less than a foot (so would hold a machine not in use) but opens out into a good 8 foot table for cutting out etc.  I would have that in my sewing room if my cabinet didn't have a machine in it and before setting up the sewing area that is precisely what I used in the lounge when I  moved here and the cabinet was already upstairs.
I would be looking for a table that is more substantial and permanent looking rather than a cabinet if you have another room for your stash etc
My cabinet is really, really heavy even for moving around a few feet or more and, as i said, it is nowhere near as heavy as a Horn!
BB

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Kad

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 10:34:14 AM »
I too had lusted after one for ages, especially as my sewing room is also the spare bedroom. I tried out various models at every show I went to and refined my list of desired options. I bought one from a sewing friend who was downsizing so got it for a good price.

Unfortunately, within a couple of months I'd realised that it and I were not a good match - the flat extension piece at the back of the table was far too low to be a cutting table, it was ok when quilting but that's all. The worst thing was that my long legs did not fit under the table - if I had my chair at the correct height I couldn't get my knees under the surface and if I lowered my chair I had nowhere to put my legs  :headbang:
What I'd really advise is ' don't just admire but try and find somewhere/someone who'll let you sit at it and use it for more than 10 minutes.

I've now got 2 Skarsta tables from IKEA - not as pretty but much more user friendly and I sold the Horn in an  e*ay auction at a profit.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

KayK

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 11:03:27 AM »
I bought a Horn cabinet for £100 - it was in great condition, but weighs an absolute ton.  I am only a 5 footer, but I too struggle with sitting at it properly - one of my machines has a knee lift which can't be used as there isn't enough room!  They are possibly ok with a small sewing machine.  I can't even use my 'office chair' with it - the only thing that fits for me to sit on is an old dressing table stool! I still keep it, but as I share the same machine with @Celiathat one sits on a chunky dining table bought for £25, covered with oil cloth, and had the legs cut down by 2" so it fits me!  DH did screw something back on the Horn, and disappointingly, they are made of chipboard!  An awful lot of money to pay new for one!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 11:58:23 AM »
I think I would say only go for one if you have the need to be able to pack your stuff away into a neat, cupboard and / or you need to be able to drop your machine to have a complete flat bed.
I bought my Horn when I had to sew in a small, spare bedroom and the ability to pack away was very useful.  I am small so don't have a leg problem but find that the machine position is a bit too far left so you I can't sit in front of the needle without being squashed up against the side flap.  I have got used to that though.  There's not a lot of room for a standard office type chair.  My side flap is very battered from countless confrontations with the chair back and I sometimes have to kick the chair base round a bit to get into a comfortable sewing position.
I have a big Pfaff on it but can't use the knee lift when the machine is sitting on the platform so have to have the machine pulled forward off the platform to be able to fit the lift.  That's fine for normal sewing but not if I have the machine dropped for quilting.
When I bought mine there was nothing else on the UK market but i think there are alternatives now.  I no longer need the folding up capability but will keep it opened out as it gives me a good sewing area for quilts and the ability to drop the machine for quilting.

It has one annoyance, probably due to my hard floors but the same could happen with carpet creep.  There is a gap under the cupboard  back and I sometimes take my foot off the pedal and the machine carries on sewing because the front of the pedal has slid under the gap when depressed.  I've got it on a square of non slip shelf liner and I now automatically hook the pedal back towards me before I start stitching.

If you are able to try for size before you buy then definitely do that.  I would also advise looking at what else is out there though recent events may well have impacted on imports.

Life's too short for ironing.

realale

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 12:13:15 PM »
I bought my Horn cabinet at an auction as it was going for £10 and nobody bid on it. I decided to start the bidding - and nobody else did so I ended up with it complete with a Singer computer machine and all the sewing bumph that goes with it. I can't say I am truly enamoured of it and it houses my backup machine, (not the Singer which I gave to my friend). I have it up all the time as I have the space but as Ploshkin says the foot pedal sometimes creeps under the back ledge and carries on sewing when you don't want it to.
Would I buy another? no. The idea is better than the practicality of it.
I sewed on an old drop leaf table for a while and it was fine so I'd rather go with that than a Horn. It depends how much you want to hide your machine away. I'd rather have a table and one of those self made embroidered/quilted/appliqued machine covers than a cabinet!!
So many beers, so little time.

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 12:24:39 PM »
There are a couple of places in Devon that make craft storage furniture.
https://storage4crafts.com/
https://www.exmoorfurniture.co.uk/sewing-cupboard/

The Lynton Deluxe from Exmoor Furniture has some similarities to a Horn Cabinet.

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 12:39:58 PM »
I don't have one but I did think of one ages ago and decided against it. When you have a horn cabinet I'm presuming it will sit where there is space for it. Now where mine would have gone was not the ideal spot for me to sew. I like to sometimes swivel my machine depending what I'm sewing.

Also think about the light, I like natural light where possible. Where mine would have gone was not in the best light, so yes it would have had my machines in one space (they are now, apart from my coverstitch) but sadly there was not enough storage space for all my bits and pieces.

So all in all it would have been a very expensive mistake that I'm glad I didn't make.

I'm not sure what to suggest @Celia  :(

@Diane is there not another room where you could sew and have a separate table with your machine left up but covered so it would look tidy?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Diane

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 12:47:44 PM »
@Celia I agree it's a dilemma and this is why it's taking me so long to make my mind up. I've also had a horn cabinet, it was the gemini model, suitable for a standard sewing machine and i did use it a lot. I sold this back last year as i couldn't stand the colour of it and it lacked storage, they are really heavy and mine has been upstairs as well as down but they are made to last, superb quality. At the moment i have an ikea table, it folds down and has storage drawers either end, it's great for cutting out on and doesn't take up much room.

I've spent this morning looking at Ikea furniture, lots of combinations with great storage and for the money you can't go wrong. The horn table i was eyeing up is £1350...ouch, but with Ikea i could get all that i want with lots of storage for between £150 - £400 and if i got fed up with it then it's not a lot to lose. Below are some of the Ikea options that i'm looking at

@Helen M Unfortunately not, the spare room has all of DH stuff in it, i did have it as a sewing room but i found that i didn't like sewing upstairs. I like sitting in the lounge as it's double aspect with lots of natural light and i like looking out on to the garden whilst i'm sewing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 06:37:19 AM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 13:06:05 PM »
I like the Ikea idea very much @Diane! I have a white desk that is shallow in depth which suits my tiny room (think box room or trad front bedroom over the stairs on a 3 bed house) but I've seen some similar ideas on Instagram that are very similar.

I meant to add that my expat friend in Dallas has a Horn type table that is much better designed than the Horn ones are IMHO, but they aren't made over here. I think the name was Vogue but I could be wrong. Hers works very well in her spare bedroom but the rooms are bigger than ours so she leaves it set up most of the time......
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Diane

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 13:20:29 PM »
What i like about the ikea furniture is that you can mix and match it, i need more storage and the different drawer sets are perfect, this means i can get rid of the bookcase that i've got all my bits and bobs stored in and use the drawer units instead and it will all be out of sight. If i choose the long desk i could have my overlocker out as well. Lots to think about i reckon and if i ditch the idea of the horn table it doesn't make me feel so bad about spending money on a sewing/embroidery machine.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 13:34:50 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Celia

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 13:37:02 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas, I am definitely going off the idea of the horn especially as other people have had the same issue as me with long legs not fitting and the machine position.

I have been sewing this morning and really love where my machine is but hate the purple legs, I do want to be able to use the machine flat bed, I don’t need to raise it up as it is a flat bed machine (love this machine, thank you @KayK for your encouragement when I bought it).

I like those Ikea bits @Diane but too large for where I want it.  I have decided the overlocker can stay upstairs and I do have another machine up there if I need a machine at the same time.

The one downstairs is the one I will use for more hobby type things more than dressmaking.

Still looking :loveit:

Diane

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 13:46:33 PM »
I like those Ikea bits @Diane but too large for where I want it.

@Celia They have smaller desks in lots of different combinations. Can you not change the purple legs, maybe paint them?

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 14:59:00 PM »
Hello Celia and Diane, as soon as I read Diane's post I knew I had to reply.

First if you are seriously thinking about getting an embroidery machine then the chances are high that you need a cabinet that will take this larger machine - I do not think the whole range can take the larger machines, and also the weight of these giants.

Most places that say you can order a cabinet from them mean just that, all the cabinets and tables come from Horn direct and are brought into your home, upstairs can be a problem, so if this is the case you need to have this put on the order form.  Why not ring Horn direct and try and talk to David the owner  - he can send you a Horn catelogue which will give all the measurements, and also advise perhaps which is best for your individual needs.

I have had my cabinet for about 20 years and would not be without this now it is brilliant for what I am doing.  Now I really did look into all the different models, and chose one that has the lid that opens from front to back and thus gives me a huge work table.  Okay when this cabinet is all folded up it can be placed back against a wall and look just like a sideboard, but in order to use this for any sewing whether it is large or small, you will need to pull the whole cabinet forward in order to open the lid and get the machine into position.  I personally like the flat bed option for machining so much nicer and easier to use and there is no risk of drag as the fabric going through the machine falls off when it is in the free arm position.  I also use my overlocker in this way - i.e. as a flatbed and that is brilliant.  I actually had a plexi cut to fit my overlocker that I had at the time and sent a template in brown paper down to Horn for them to cut one to fit.

Another point to remember is the doors when open, some cabinets have handy storage caddies fixed to one of the open doors, and if this is on the left as you sit facing the machine, the chances are that the fabric you are sewing is going to catch on these caddies and their contents - mine is on the right hand door.

Next a lot of the larger cabinets have provision for the storage of an overlocker which is a huge plus, as it can be left in its position until you need to lift it out to use, so it is tucked away out of sight and therefore kept nice a clean and away from prying little fingers or pets paws!!

Over the years I have had new machines and have had no hesitation about buying another plexi for that machine, and I also have a complete uncut plexi bought when Horn were doing a special offer, so a discounted price and thus this can be used to fill the machine opening and a light stood on the platform below on its lowest setting so useful for using as a light box.

I live in a bungalow, and when this cabinet was delivered, it was just a driver and he manipulated this giant of a cabinet so easily, flipped it over once the cardboard  box was removed and put the various wheels on, flipped it back and made it look easy - no I do not flip mine over - there is no need!!!  Then he asked which machine was going to be used most and set the platform for that particular machine.  Now when I use my elderly ElnaSU which is about 47 years old I need to put two little mats on the platform first to bring this machine up to create the flatbed with its plexi - that is far easier to do than to fiddle around trying to adjust the platform - and I believe there is a right and wrong way of altering the platform's position and I am not prepared to go messing about and run the risk of a machine dropping suddenly to the lower storage position - my Elna and older Bernina might be the same age, but they work and are brilliant machines.

Currently I have one machine in position on the storage setting, and my cardboard cutting out mat open on top of the cabinet so a lovely huge work space, I can have the right hand door open and can sit at this table top with my legs in enough to be comfortable and work on the table.

Yes they are expensive but I find mine a joy to use.  Yes I had to go to a machine dealer in order to order and pay for the cabinet and I suppose I had to wait perhaps three weeks for delivery - Horn try to deliver in an area rather than here and there which does make a lot of sense.

Horn are based in Swindon, and it is a family run business and they are charming people and so helpful.  I first got to know the owner David when he had his set up in Bishopstoke in Hampshire, such a small place but this was where my mother was born, and for anyone who knows Bishopstoke it is really like a village, so it was a surprise to find an outlet like this in that place.  I also have a separate cutting out table  which is so useful, however my husband was too heavy handed with this when moving it one day (I don't let him help me any more!!!) and rather forced one of the extending flaps down when the supporting flap was not closed and thus buckled the hinge resulting in the top no longer being smooth - it had a hump and it showed and you could feel this hump.  David's son Jason kindly helped me by finding an appropriate replacement hinge and this came through to me via the post.  The other person that I have dealt with down there is Angela, Jason's wife so you see a real family business.

When I first got my cabinet, one of the first garments I made was my daughter';s wedding dress, and it was a real joy to sew using this cabinet, the machine played beautifully, the fabric stayed put and did not try and escape by falling off a narrower top, I could close the machine up at night - well I was sewing this in my tiny lounge as I did not have a sewing room then, and the beauty of this cabinet is that I can manage to move this from room to room if I want to, however these days I do have a dedicated sewing room.  I chose not to have the handles screwed on the doors because of moving this from room to room, it would have been a tight squeeze getting this through some narrow gaps, but sadly I did managed to sever the key which I had left in the lock one day, and it cost me  £5.00 to replace - I have learnt my lesson.

So whilst you can see some of the cabinets at a sewing machine shop by no means do they carry samples of them all.  Very occasionally though the shops do sell off their display cabinets especially when a new model comes out, I was lucky in that when I bought my cabinet I was able to see the one I have on display but that was  20 years ago and as we know the shops have disappeared fast.  The other place to see them is at one of the exhibitions, but which models they have on display then is another matter.  Try and talk to David at Horn direct, and he could possibly tell you where you would actually see the one/ones you may be interested in.  Good luck to you both.