The Sewing Place

What would i need to buy

Acorn

Re: What would i need to buy
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 18:55:27 PM »
I like the fact that mine is also a sewing machine - and it is the one I use the most, although I do generally have another machine set up so that I can sew while the embroidery machine is chugging away.

Mine was well worth it - and nobody has ever thought that any of my embroidery came from EWM!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 18:57:40 PM »
I've done a google search and there are a couple of sewing machine shops near me but they have a limited selection, i think it will have to be a trip to World of Sewing in tonbridge wells. Now next week DH has a week off  :devil: maybe a road trip will be planned.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 18:59:46 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

coffeeandcake

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 19:39:57 PM »
Definitely take your DH with you. He sounds as though he has his head screwed on properly and if he sees that you like something you're more likely to go home with it

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 19:56:55 PM »
Sorry but who is EWM @Acorn
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Tamnymore

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 20:07:43 PM »
Edinburgh Woollen Mill..I think the idea is that EWM were fond of making those sweatshirts and tee shirts with twee embroidery!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 08:08:36 AM »
Ive just found a Yoga mat to put under Elvistoo to (hopefully) reduce noise and vibration ... Its eeeeeenormous and Im not going to need it all ...If you want a piece of it for the above just let me know ... That goes for anyone else with an E Machine too.

Regarding Bodges post #4 I have just bought a few prewound bobbins from them, I think its Doris Derby's shop (???) and used one last week and it was EXCELLENT!

The free embroidery software she gives you (at the bottom of the page, no purchase necessary*) is also invaluable as E Designs are sold as numbers so unless you rename them all (Yawn) you have to be a mathematical genius to know your M31391 from your M31396  ... The software brings up thumbnails of the design so you can easily see your sea shell from your sea turtle.

* I think ... I got mine from a link on the BrotherV3 group on FA ... just download and install
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 09:15:18 AM »
Why did I look at that link, I do not need any machine embroidery supplies BUT I have never tried pre wound bobbins not sure what size I would need, I have a Husqvarna topaz 40 any one any idea

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 11:27:10 AM »
I can ask for you if you want unless you are on FA ?

realale

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2022, 13:16:16 PM »
I've had the Janome 6600p for years and years and it's still as good as new despite so much use but I do like the idea of upgrading now I've seen @Celia's post  :P
@Diane I too have a separate embroidery machine as I like to sew on one whilst the other chunters away embroidering on it's own - except for thread changes!! If you have the space and money I'd definitely go for separate machines.
Many, many years ago at one of the early shows at the NEC I met Myra Coles and she advised me to like the look of the sewing machine I was going to buy. She said if you don't like the look of it you are less likely to use it. Just another consideration to add into the mix!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2022, 13:28:10 PM »
@Celia  ..

Iminei
Hi Doris Darby I have a friend with a Husqvarna topaz 40 and shes wondering which pre wound bobbins she would need?

Reply1 h

Doris Darby
hello Iminei, its the size L , the same ones that I use on my Pfaff x

There you go hon xxx

Thread on FA ... you may need to join the group tho'

Celia

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2022, 13:59:49 PM »
Hi @Iminei thankyou soooo much no I don’t do Facebook, I do have an account, I need one to get  on the life raft  :laughing: I just don’t use it except in emergencies.

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2022, 18:52:02 PM »
@Celia I couldn't be without my various groups in Facebook. I don't use the main pages regularly but must have about a dozen groups of which I'm a member. They're mostly private groups like the one Iminei mentioned so you have to be a member to post.
Loads of good craft groups  :devil:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bill

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2022, 12:51:17 PM »
Ive just found a Yoga mat to put under Elvistoo to (hopefully) reduce noise and vibration ... Its eeeeeenormous and Im not going to need it all ...If you want a piece of it for the above just let me know ... That goes for anyone else with an E Machine too.

Ooooh me me me please! @Iminei

@Diane that V5 is the machine I particularly lust after. Mostly because its a duel sewing/embroidery machine so it'll not sit there gathering dust like the current em most days but also because of that awesome digital display. It's sooooooooo star trek ish. Also the extra length on that arm would be nice for those extra bulky projects.
As for stuff to buy.
Well, so far I'm getting by with a set of bargain  threads and stabiliser. You may wish to get a few more loops of differing sizes. No point wasting tons of fabric for a small project and erm...thats it really. Oh and you may want to get the extension table for general sewing as that's been brilliant for bigger projects.
If you do get the V5, DON'T POST PHOTOS OF IT! I'll end up crying of jealousy!  :P
Brother supplied a reel of bobbin thread and spare bobbins with mine.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 15:22:43 PM by Bill »
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Diane

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2022, 13:00:33 PM »

@Diane
If you do get the V5, DON'T POST PHOTOS OF IT! I'll end up crying of jealousy!  :P

Your safe @Bill I didn't buy that in the end, i did see it in the shop yesterday when i tested out another machine, what put me off was the fact that it's massive, it just looked a bit too plasticy (my opinion only) and after a lot of thought about what i would embroider, i was struggling to come up with enough ideas to convince myself to get it, i just knew i would regret buying it. I like quilting, bag making and i want to learn to make clothes and what i've purchased is right for me.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 13:02:32 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Greybird

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2022, 15:19:12 PM »
@Bill you haven't @'d Iminei if you want her mat.