The Sewing Place

What would i need to buy

Diane

What would i need to buy
« on: February 13, 2022, 13:24:45 PM »
If i was to buy the brother V5LE sewing embroidery machine, what extras do i need? I mean things like threads, stabilser etc
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

sewmuchmore

Re: What would i need to buy
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 15:28:32 PM »
this is what you will get with the machine, in addition you will embroidery threads if you haven't already got any. You can buy boxed sets of Brother thread to get you started this shows the accessories that are available for the machine. The stabaliser that comes with the machine is iron on so you may want to consider different types. this is were i get mine from.
You get 2 hoops the 4x4 and 12x8 so you might want to consider different sizes depending on what you want to do.
Plus the machine weighs 15k so you will need a table/desk that will take that weight, Ikea is a good source.

I have the 10 reel thread organiser https://sewingcraft.brother.eu/en/accessories/sewing-machine-accessories/ts5this. Although to be honest i only put the thread on the stand in the order i need it and then transfer it to the machine to thread, it is a bit of a fiddle threading it via the stand.  Plus if you are going to use the extra large reels of embroidery thread you will need one of these.
I also have an acoustic mat under the machine as my sewing room has a laminate floor and and it can seem noisy if you are in the room below. this
DONT BUY THE BLACK ANTI SCRATCH PAD TO PROTECT THE MACHINE, it is a waste of money and after only using the machine twice the hoop got caught under the mat and bent it out of shape and prevented the embroidery for stitching properly.

I only use mine for embroidery, i found the sewing function a bit faffy compared to my Pfaff, but i suppose it is what you get used to.
Hope this helps
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Diane

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 15:41:57 PM »
Thanks @sewmuchmore I'll have a look at all of this and generate myself a list. You say you find it a bit faffy for sewing? is it not very good? Makes me wonder if i should go to a shop and try one out before i commit.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 15:52:44 PM »
@Diane A good source of threads and stabilisers is here.

Basically you need threads and stabiliser to get started.  I also buy pre-wound bobbins from the above shop.  I had an assorted pack of stabiliser to start with, just enough to try them out.

Do you really want a machine that sews as well as embroiders?  I'm often sewing whilst something embroiders.  I have heard that changing from embroidering to sewing on that machine can be a fiddle, but don't know how true that is.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 15:55:08 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Diane

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 16:02:36 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper
I thought it would be easier and make more sense to have a combined machine. I think i definately need to go and try this machine out before i commit and see what it's like swapping from embroidery to sewing.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 16:16:42 PM »
Thanks @sewmuchmore I'll have a look at all of this and generate myself a list. You say you find it a bit faffy for sewing? is it not very good? Makes me wonder if i should go to a shop and try one out before i commit.

With my Pfaff QE4.2 you have all the stitches on a diagram on the machine lid and you just select by pressing the number and then adjust the stitch using +/- button etc but on the v5 you have to scroll through screens and it just seemed too much bother. I am sure others love it but don't. I ended up with a combine machine because you just could not get the embroidery only V3 machine for love nor money when mine gave up the ghost during the hight of the pandemic.
I prefer two machines because i can be doing some sewing at the same time as embroidery.

Janet

Diane

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 16:31:45 PM »
What a dilemma  :faints: With an embroidery machine, can you add an embroidery to say a purse, something small, how does it fit in the hoop? More research needed on my part i think, it feels like a minefield.

Celia

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 16:46:38 PM »
 I know I have asked this before but are you sure you want an embroidery machine, they are great if you know what you want to make with them. Don’t forget you can do free motion embroidery on an ordinary machine, not the same of course but.

I am not keen on just watching the machine stitch out, , maybe I have just become tired of them as I have had an embroidery machine right from the first Janome. Don’t let me put you off if you are certain.

If I was buying a fancy new machine I might just go for this one https://www.franknutt.co.uk/janome-m7-continental_janome-m7-continental-sewing-machine I was lucky enough to see it when it first came out at the last exhibition I was at,  I know you are a Janome girl at heart. :devil:

I actually have this one https://www.franknutt.co.uk/sewing-machines/janome-sewing-machines/janome-mc6700p. Which I love.

Not trying to confuse you of course :laughing:

Diane

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 16:53:11 PM »
@Celia To be honest i don't know what i want  :laughing: There are no other treats that i want and i like to sew etc When i went to the quilt show a couple of weeks ago i saw this Juki

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/juki-hzl-ux8?
This is why i'm taking so long deciding
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 17:50:23 PM by Diane »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 17:02:31 PM »
If it is a purse etc. that you are making then you would embroider before construction, you can either use the sticky stabiliser to hold small pieces which i love, or temp adhesive spray, which i hate. Or embroider before cutting out the pattern piece, just hoop a piece of fabric, embroider, then place you pattern piece and cut out. If it a purse already made/bought then the only way would be to deconstruct and the sew it back together.

Janet

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 17:12:14 PM »
@Diane I’d definitely recommend going to see and try the machine if possible.  People will suggest all sorts of machines but at the end of the day not everyone likes the same makes or models.  You have to have what you feel comfortable with.  It’s a lot of money to spend and find you don’t get on with it. 
I’d suggest trying to book an appointment to try them out.  That way they will make sure they have time to spend with you and a person who can demo them.  If you are happy with your sewing machine then perhaps an embroidery only would be a good idea.  Like @Bodgeitandscarper i can be sewing and embroidering at the same time if it’s a large embroidery. 

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 17:19:15 PM »
Will you use it enough to justify the outlay? There's only so many embroidered items one can have without looking like EWM  :D
You could think of starting a small business ..... :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 17:40:35 PM »
@sewmuchmore That makes sense, thankyou for explaining.

@Ohsewsimple I think your right, I'll check out what sewing machine shops i have near me and book in to find out more about the machines.

@Lowena For me i'm not worried about justifying it, I've done this all my life, justifying every purchase and i'm now at a point in my life where i don't have to and i feel like having a splurge on me. It's just having it there to use when i fancy doing so.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 18:15:49 PM »
Good for you if you can do that  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 18:50:48 PM »
Don’t get put off by me or anyone else, as @Ohsewsimple says if you can try them then that is good but don’t forget if you buy on the internet you do have the right to send them back if you don’t t like the look etc when you get them.

When I bought my Janome 6700 last year the idea was to sell at least 2 of the others well I haven’t we’ll not yet and at the moment I probably won’t, However I am so pleased I bought the new one and to some extent it was the encouragement I got on here that allowed me to allow myself to buy it. :laughing: