The Sewing Place

Wool pressing mat

Celia

Wool pressing mat
« on: February 13, 2022, 14:01:39 PM »
Has anyone used one of these, I like the idea but they are really expensive, I already have a self made pressing mat but not in wool.

https://www.thesewingstudio.co.uk/wool-pressing-mat-13-5-x-13-5-inches.ir

Diane

Re: Wool pressing mat
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 14:11:49 PM »
 :scream: How much, and it's only a tiny square. I made my own pressing mat using a breadboard
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 17:13:52 PM »
But it is made from wool ! :laughing:

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 17:36:52 PM »
But I'm sure I read you can burn/shrink them if you have an accident with them?

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 18:02:49 PM »
I've not used one but I heard they give off a strange smell when heated.  I have made my own using a wooden board.
Willing but not always able :)

Cazlyn

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 18:44:12 PM »
@Celia I bought this one from Ama**n a couple of weeks ago, it cost me £14.99.   I’m using it to rest on whilst doing my slow stitching and have used it to iron a couple of pieces.  It’s “floppier” than I thought it would be but finding it very useful at the moment and at £14.99 I didn’t mind giving it a go.  It’s pure wool and out of stock at the moment...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 18:47:46 PM by Cazlyn »
Crafting is my happy place

maliw

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 22:16:33 PM »
DD bought one for me for my birthday so I don't know how much it cost but I use it a lot. I don't need the iron as hot as normal and obviously it can only be used for small things. I use it for pressing the items for Angel babies but will use it for patchwork which is what it was mean't for I think. My small pressing mat was a towel wrapped round a board and wrapped in a pillow case, that is heavier that the wool mat.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 07:54:22 AM »
Ive heard they are very good if you get a genuine one ... a lot of fakes out there, mainly from China
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 09:19:07 AM »
Thank you I like the idea but maybe I will wait a while and see how I go, I have been doing appliqué lately and thought it might help, that wa until I saw the price. 

I am a bit tempted on a small one as it might be good for the small pieces.

I do have a home made ironing pad, I made it from a board and one of those grey reflective ironing board covers, it works well for most things but with small bits they can slide on it.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 09:47:45 AM »
I have the same one as @Cazlyn and it seems to be good quality, however, I managed to damage two surfaces that I had it on top of when I was pressing some fabric. I was using steam, so perhaps you're not supposed to. Anyway, it's now been relegated to the corner of disappointment.

Cazlyn

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 10:51:24 AM »
@coffeeandcake I think it said on the instructions to not use steam.  :thinking:
Crafting is my happy place

Missie

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2022, 12:38:40 PM »
The children got me one as a gift a couple of years ago and I love, especially for small pieces.

realale

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2022, 12:48:03 PM »
Darn it. That's another thing I didn't know I needed until you lot brought it to my attention.  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 13:14:33 PM »
@coffeeandcake I think it said on the instructions to not use steam.  :thinking:

Haha, that's clearly one of the few things I failed to read the instructions for :rolleyes: I'll perhaps give it a reprieve when I can sew again.  Thank you @Cazlyn

maliw

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2022, 13:34:49 PM »
I don't use steam but I use a plant spray bottle if necessary.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula