The Sewing Place

Circular Needles

Acorn

Circular Needles
« on: February 14, 2022, 13:13:52 PM »
I am making a cardigan for a 4 year old.  It is knitted top down, no seams, and I have done everything except the sleeves.  The pattern says 'Place the sleeve sts onto larger long circular needle / dpns'.  This is the 4mm circular needle that I have been using for the main part of the cardigan.  The cable is 40cm and the needles are the standard 10.5cm each.  There is surely no way that a 54 stitch sleeve can be knitted in the round on a cable needle that long!!?

Anyway, I bought a very small, 25cm (total length), Knitpro circular needle, which has 6cm needle tips.  There is no question that the sleeve can be knitted on this, I'm just not sure whether I can cope with needle tips this short.

Am I going to have to use dpns?  I can, I just don't like them.

Presumably even the shorter needle tips (roughly 8.5cm) with a 20cm cable would still be far too long.

What would you do?

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

coffeeandcake

Re: Circular Needles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 13:30:47 PM »
@Acorn I love knitting in the round on circular needles (once I'm past row 2).  Personally I'd stick with the longer needles because you're just going to pull the excess cable through each time you move from one needle to the other.  The only thing that would be slightly annoying is have 27 stitches on each needle thus it would feel that you're constantly changing.
I tend to knit with whatever length of circulars that I have, unless they're very short and then make my fingers ache.  I recently knit a hat ITR with 80 stitches on a set of 80cm circulars without any issues and the number of stitches became a lot less as I decreased towards the crown.  Hope this helps :)

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 13:39:43 PM »
Ohhh - I think I've just realised what you mean.  Are you talking about using two circular needles?  I've (literally) just come across that concept through googling.

I'm sure I must have a second 4mm circular needle somewhere...

WendyW

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 13:42:48 PM »
Here's a demonstration of the "magic loop" technique, which is what @coffeeandcake is describing. Another alternative is to use 2 separate circular needles of the same size and knit from one set to the other, then back again, and keep alternating the sets of needles. This works well, but I tend to get annoyed by so much extra needle length dancing around in my lap.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 14:02:27 PM »
Ahhh - light is dawning!  I thought the magic loop method was something to do with casting on...

I think either method is going to be a bit annoying - but much better than using dpns.

I found a second 4mm needle, but it is an 80cm one.  At least the other is interchangeable, so can be used with a 20cm cable.  I'll have to see which method I get on better with.

Many thanks @coffeeandcake and @WendyW  :thumb:

The tiny cable needle will just have to go in the drawer labelled 'Things that sound like a good idea but aren't'.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 14:52:21 PM »
@Acorn Magic loop is a doddle once you get the hang of it, just have a play.

I started doing it before I even knew it was a thing with a name. So much better than those pointy DPNS.

SingingSinger

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 19:38:06 PM »
Reading with interest as I'm knitting a top down baby cardigan and have been puzzling about knitting the sleeves in the round    >:)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 20:50:33 PM »
I'm trying with the magic loop, but not enjoying it.  I briefly tried with to circular needles, but wasn't keen on that either.  I strongly suspect that I will be picking up the dpns tomorrow.  While I'm not that keen on using them, I do know that I can get into a rhythm with them.

I'll be really interested to know which route you go down @SingingSinger - I've enjoyed doing the top down, in the round method, but I knew the sleeves were going to be a challenge!

SingingSinger

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 21:28:14 PM »

I'll be really interested to know which route you go down @SingingSinger - I've enjoyed doing the top down, in the round method, but I knew the sleeves were going to be a challenge!

I've got a inch or two still to knit on the body of the cardi, so will get onto the sleeves by the weekend. Gives me time to ponder! I've attempted magic loop before but not got the hang of it yet. It might end up being dpns. Or I might give in and just knit them flat and sew up the side seam!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Celia

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 08:57:17 AM »
I use magic loop all,the time when knitting socks and small items, I found it difficult at first but it really is down to the actual needles and more importantly the cables.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2022, 09:03:54 AM »
Having just got used to knitting in the round with dpns I don't think I will be tackling this one too soon! My levels of concentration only last so long.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 09:23:06 AM »
@Celia Do you use a very long cable?  It occurred to me that while pulling a longer cable through would be more of a chore, it would probably make the actual knitting easier.

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 09:36:23 AM »
@Acorn a longer cable is easier to manage, there is more cable so the curve isn’t so near the work, if that makes sense.

Celia

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 09:40:26 AM »
Yes I do use a long cable but it is also to do with the thickness of the cable. I do what they call travelling magic loop.
https://youtu.be/-SFy_OJT-pc
Hope this helps

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 09:43:47 AM »
@Celia I have been meaning to tell you how much I am enjoying my Chiaogoos.  Well worth the splurge.