The Sewing Place

Circular Needles

Celia

Re: Circular Needles
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2022, 09:49:38 AM »
Really glad you like them @Ellabella I always worry when I recommend something as we are all different but those needles are really worth it.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2022, 09:54:09 AM »
@Celia Thank you for the video - I was concerned that there was going to be a weak point at the join, and that deals with it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »
Great if that's what suits you, but to me it looks as though so much time is spent turning and pulling the loops through.  Quicker to use DPNs. 

Also I would be worried about damaging the yarn as the loops get pulled through.  Has that ever been a problem to anyone?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2022, 10:23:48 AM »
I'm another convert to interchangeable circular needles, but not had to cope with sleeves yet.  I think I would be tempted to use dpns as I bought some very short interchangeable needles, and didn't cope well with them.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2022, 11:53:07 AM »
Been dipping into this thread.  Looked at the videos.  When did knitting get so complicated? Think I’ve been left behind.  But same for crochet I think.  New techniques all the time. :thinking:

Celia

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2022, 13:38:01 PM »

@BrendaP  I have never had a problem and I am really picky about tension, the travelling loop prevents the problem and I can knit way quicker than I can on DPNs and more evenly, I also use this method a lot with Fair Isle which I knit 2 handed.

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 16:27:41 PM »
I've never caused any damage using magic loop. I find it the easiest method of knitting small things in the round, though I use 40cm circulars for hat knitting.

Longer cables do make it easier and if I feel like I'm getting flustered due to a lapse of concentration or I'm finding the cable a bit twisty, I arrange both halves on the needles, tips pointing right, and   rearrange everything as necessary (my wits, included) before pulling the needle through from the back and knitting onto it. I find that everything falls into rhythm quite quickly after doing that a few times.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2022, 20:59:10 PM »
I tried with two circular needles, and I tried using the magic loop, but ended up with dpns - and actually got on a lot better with them than I expected.  My Knitpro wooden dpns (the multicoloured ones) are much nicer to use than the old metal ones.  Not at all slippy!

I'm just waiting for a second set to be delivered tomorrow so that I can do the cuff on the first sleeve.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

SingingSinger

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2022, 23:27:29 PM »
@Acorn I have started the sleeves on my baby jacket using the magic loop method. 10 rows in and I am not enjoying it   :( 

I haven't got dpns in the right size so I'm not sure whether to persevere or what to do. I'll sleep on it!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 23:31:35 PM by SingingSinger »
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Celia

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2022, 12:01:14 PM »
That looks so cute, @SingingSinger i would suggest keep trying if you can, I used to be the same but now it is my preferred method. My main reason for persevering was my at that time kitten how could not be trusted around DPNs

SingingSinger

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2022, 12:22:00 PM »
Thanks @Celia . My size 9 circular needles are the bog standard type with a clunky join with the cable. I haven't got this size in my nice new knitpro interchangeables. I'd be best just ordering some, I think.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

b15erk

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2022, 12:42:26 PM »
I'm sure I've done that pattern  :thinking:

Yours is beautiful @SingingSinger  <3

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Celia

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2022, 12:45:51 PM »
That sounds like a good idea, not that I am encouraging you to spend money  :devil:  I often use these cables and if I am using the bigger size needles I put a converter on them from the small to the mini.

SingingSinger

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2022, 13:01:48 PM »
@b15erk Thanks. It's this pattern and is very cute  :)  https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/norwegian-fir-top-down-cardigan

@Celia I don't need much encouragement to spent money! They are ordered now and should make the job easier  :)

Ellabella

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2022, 15:58:13 PM »
I've knit that pattern several times for GD and as a gift.  It looks lovely and is a nice quick knit.