The Sewing Place

Circular Needles

Acorn

Re: Circular Needles
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2022, 16:30:31 PM »
I'm on the second sleeve of the first little cardigan, although I think I will lengthen the cuff on the first sleeve so that it can be folded back initially - one of the benefits of knitting from the top down. 

The size I'm doing is supposedly for age 6, because the choice was 4yrs or 6yrs and the girls are 3 (but tall for her age) and 4.5, but the sleeve length is 11in, and when I measured their arms last weekend they were 10in.

I used dpns for the sleeves in the end, and got into a good rhythm.  I did learn that 10cm dpns are a Bad Idea.  I ordered them because I could get them a lot more quickly than 15cm ones, but almost got a blister at the base of my thumb after doing just 5 small rounds!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2022, 17:55:26 PM »
I have finished the first cardigan, apart from the buttons, which are going to take some finding - the front is pinned at the moment.  I'm not totally pleased with it, but I never am with knitted things when I've just finished them.  The bottom is shaped, which seems like an unnecessary faff, and doesn't really suit the rest of it.  I'm tempted to redo the bottom (one benefit of top down knitting!) but I should really have done it before washing and blocking it.   :thinking:

Now I have a second one to make - I have the same yarn but in a slightly lighter shade.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SingingSinger

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2022, 18:03:02 PM »
That's a cute cardi @Acorn  :thumb:

I've finished my baby cardi too - just need to finish off the loose ends of yarn and sew on the button. I'll post a photo once it's all done :)

I found the circular needles and magic loop method too fiddly with garter stitch in the round. I kept forgetting whether I should be knitting or purling! So I switched to dpns and that was much easier for me.

Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Acorn

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2022, 18:07:46 PM »
Same here - dpns aren't that bad after all!

Flobear

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2022, 18:39:19 PM »
Have been catching up on this fred. Lovely cardis  :)

I really like my circulars - Knitpro - and a couple of years ago 'invented' the travelling loop to cope with smaller rounds.
The last pair of socks I knitted, I didn't have the right size needles so hoicked out an old set of metal dpns. I really enjoyed using 4 needles again though prefer non-metal now.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SingingSinger

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 19:51:47 PM »
Here it is, all done.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Flobear

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2022, 19:58:06 PM »
Lovely @SingingSinger .  I think I would find it confusing to create garter stitch in the round by alternating plain an purl rows  :faints:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Acorn

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2022, 20:52:22 PM »
Gorgeous!  I really love the way what would otherwise be the raglan seam comes out when knitting in one piece, and that one is wonderful.

@Flobear I found the garter stitch cuffs quite weird, particularly as they were in the round and I had to change from knit to purl mid row.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2022, 18:09:42 PM »
@Celia What do you think is the best circular needle for fine socks?  I am using 2.75 dpns but a circular would perhaps be quicker, would it?  Do you find you have to ease the stitches where the cable joins the needle?   I bought some older bigger ones a long time ago but the join is annoying.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Celia

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2022, 18:44:18 PM »
I hate to say I use nothing but Chiagoo needles but they have got very expensive lately, my favourites are the one with the mini cables these are the ones I use https://www.weftblown.com/products/chiaogoo-twist-mini-interchangeable-set

I have also used the small 9inch needles but they cramp my hands sometimes

Ouryve

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2022, 19:20:51 PM »
I use mostly chiaogoo,  too,  but with long ones,  for magic loop.  I did love the knitpro symphonies but the quality isn't what it used to be and they're a bit sticky for some yarns.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

toileandtrouble

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2022, 21:03:41 PM »
Thank you ladies.
I looked up the meaning of Chiagoo    "highly skillful and crafty lady"
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 21:08:05 PM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ellabella

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2022, 22:17:33 PM »
After a recommendation from @Celia I went for Chiagoos.  I started with the plastic Knitpros to check if I liked using cables and then moved on to Symphonies but found it easy to snag on the join especially with finer yarns.

I had some birthday money so plumped for a set of Chiaogoos. It was a first order from Purlesence so I got a 10% discount, worth having at that price.

I’m absolutely delighted with them, so easy to use with the memory free cables and I haven’t had to tighten them once.

A set is expensive but if you regularly use a variety of sizes, it’s more economical than buying individually

Ouryve

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2022, 22:30:35 PM »
I find I just use 3 needle sizes for regular sock gauge so just have fixed needles.  I don't mind using something less satisfactory if I need something different for the cuff.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"