The Sewing Place

Good knicker patterns

rowe1311

Good knicker patterns
« on: March 02, 2017, 22:54:08 PM »
I really want to start making my knickers for the girls and me but (a) don't have a pair I am willing to sacrifice at the moment for drafting, (b) the girls are still growing so I will always need the next size up anyway and © I want a good pair that doesn't need much adjusting if any. 

Any good recommendations?  If they are free even better.  Yet again Jalie ones have got good reviews on pattern review, but not sure if there is a bit of a 'I love Jalie' following on pattern review.  Has anyone made any of hers and if so, were you pleased with the result?  Are there any other companies you would recommend?       

Francesca

Re: Good knicker patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 22:58:31 PM »
I really want to start making my knickers for the girls and me but (a) don't have a pair I am willing to sacrifice at the moment for drafting, (b) the girls are still growing so I will always need the next size up anyway and © I want a good pair that doesn't need much adjusting if any. 

Any good recommendations?  If they are free even better.  Yet again Jalie ones have got good reviews on pattern review, but not sure if there is a bit of a 'I love Jalie' following on pattern review.  Has anyone made any of hers and if so, were you pleased with the result?  Are there any other companies you would recommend?       

You can draft things from patterns without sacrificing them. I have done it before in a class. You use a rounded awl (so you don't tear the fabric) to hold the seam lines down on the pattern paper and then fold back the excess bit of garment out of the way to draw the seam lines. I can't imagine it being tough with a knickers pattern as there are so few pieces.

Alternatively you can do similar on a spongy surface (ironing board is my preference) by digging pins into the board and through the garment to lay each piece out flat.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:08:10 AM »
There are lots of free pattern on t'internet, and I think there may be some free Jalie ones.  I think it's Jalie I'm thinking of.

Let me check Youtube bookmarks....

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 09:21:12 AM »
OK, just checked and Jalie do a series of videos on Youtube which you may find interesting - they also show how to make an simple bra, but I'm not sure about free patterns.

However, I put Free Knicker Patterns into Google, clicked Images, and there are loads of free patterns.  Burda have a free sloper pattern: http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/plus-size-stretch-bra-and-panty-set  Sorry, I didn't notice until I pasted, but that one is a plus size.

Hope this helps.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »
http://verypurpleperson.com/2013/01/tutorial-sewing-panties/
is good for showing how to sew both ends of the crotch so that the seam allowances are enclosed.
Not sure about her choice of fabric though.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

rowe1311

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 14:04:08 PM »
How have you got on Fran with the drafted knickers?  It kind of makes sense using the ironing board so I might give that a go with some scraps and see how I get on.  Thanks

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 15:12:17 PM »
How have you got on Fran with the drafted knickers?  It kind of makes sense using the ironing board so I might give that a go with some scraps and see how I get on.  Thanks

I haven't actually done it with knickers (yet), but I have done it with a dress (princess seam bodice, sleeveless, full skirt) and it came out great.

The advice I was given in the class is to constantly measure everything as you do it. So once you've got your draft on paper you can keep testing it out by comparing the measurements to the original garment. E.g when I did the princess side panel I found that the curve was about 2cm too short for the corresponding central bodice piece so I drew the curve a lot wider and managed to get the extra 2cm so the pieces went together.

I do have another pair of knickers that I'll be doing a draft from, but they're a bit more simple as they have lace bands round the bottom and just a rectangle of jersey on the top.

Fiona M

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 15:22:22 PM »
I'm sure I posted this somewhere this morning, but I had great success with the Kitschy Coo 'Barrie' pattern.
https://kitschy-coo.co.uk/products/the-barrie-boy-cut-briefs-sewing-pattern-for-teens-and-women-pdf
I made a dozen pairs a couple of years ago and they are still in regular rotation.  They are very comfy, I need to make some more.
With my second batch, I drafted a slightly longer gusset piece, so that I could secure it at the front as well as the back.  Apart from that, I consider it the perfect knicker pattern.