The Sewing Place

Hello from Merseyside

b15erk

Re: Hello from Merseyside
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 20:21:21 PM »
A big welcome from me too!  Look forward to seeing your projects - sewing for GK's is the best because they always love whatever you make them!  :thumb:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2022, 20:21:42 PM »
Hi Catherine, look forward to seeing your makes  :thumb:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

charley

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2022, 20:56:03 PM »
hello and welcome from me too.

Greybird

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2022, 23:00:04 PM »
Hello and welcome!

CMBYRNE

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2022, 11:51:12 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
As for what I'm making, yes, I'll probably be making a small quilted blanket to wriggle around on, eventually, but decided to concentrate on clothes first.
I've put together a small collection of patterns, and it took longer than I thought because I made it more complicated than it needs to be. When I had my daughter in Italy baby clothes there were beautiful but a bit frilly and horrendously expensive. To make matters worse, I had never been around babies and was really worried about handling her. So I got some short-sleeved vests that crossed over at the front, closing with press studs (great as they didn't go over her head) and some Sweet Pea nightgowns  - jersey with a drawstring bottom (no socks) from the US base in Vicenza. This made dressing and undressing her really easy.
I'm trying to make similar stuff. It was easy to find a onesie pattern and just adapt it for the nightgown, but the vest has been harder. No vests anywhere. In the end I found a Petit Bateau (!!!) one that was just what I was looking for, and bought one in their sale to copy.
I found some lovely fine jersey (eco viscose from Abakhan) and have been fiddling around with the vest pattern to work out what works - cue lots of tiny pieces of fabric all over the spare room.
For other stuff, I've got a couple of Burda patterns (a onesie and a romper) that are lovely, and they'll be next once I've finished some vests. They're not on the UK or US sites, only the German one (burdastyle.de), but the language changes to English, automatically, and the descriptions and info are very clear (far more than on the UK/US sites, for some weird reason). Unfortunately, when you buy the pattern, the instructions are only in German.... hopefully the diagrams will be enough.
Anyway, back to the vests.....

Catherine

b15erk

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2022, 12:06:01 PM »
@CMBYRNE , I loved those drawstring nightgowns, and had them for my eldest -  she's in her forties now!  :scream:

I love making clothes for littlies, and I've found the Ottobre patterns useful.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2022, 14:17:20 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too @CMBYRNE:)
So many beers, so little time.

CMBYRNE

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2022, 14:37:39 PM »
Jessie, I just had a look at Ottobre. Looks perfect, thanks very much.
C

coffeeandcake

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2022, 14:53:18 PM »
Welcome @CMBYRNE from me too.  Another one who loved the drawstring nightgowns when my children were babies.  I had some made from brushed cotton - so cosy.  The cross front vests were brilliant!

Helen M

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2022, 15:42:08 PM »
Hello and welcome @CMBYRNE!

Had a look on your Burdastyle/de link above and a nice dress popped up so pondering..... :)
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72