The Sewing Place

Embroidery Software

Jo

Embroidery Software
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »
I have almost made up my mind to buy the Brother PE Design 10. Mostly because it's quite popular and because the dealer I got my machine from could give me a good price. They also sell Wilcom software (I could only get the lite because...well, super expensive!) and Bernina. Because I'm buying my machine from them, they agreed to give me a good price on any of the software.
So which one would you pick, and why? I know some use Embird, which is quite a lot cheaper. Anyone know how it compares to Pe Design?

Ohsewsimple

Re: Embroidery Software
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:30 PM »
Ive used both Jo.  But I'm not a great digitiser.  When I first got software I thought I might learn how to.  But nowadays I prefer to be sewing and use the software to edit and customise designs.  There are so many designs out there I just can't be bothered.   It takes time to learn and it is a skill.
I find I use Embird far more than I use the Brother.  I find it does what I want.  I don't have the most up to date Brother software and I know it has improved.  But we use it where I work and having seen what has to be done I would get really frustrated as I feel it could be done so much easier and quicker in Embird.  Having said that the Brother software is fairly easy to learn.   I just wouldn't want to pay for it when Embird is way less than half the price. 

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 19:47:06 PM »
Embird is cheaper, and easier to use IMO. It does everything and you can save in whatever format you like. I can also edit designs I've bought in it without problem and digitise whatever I fancy. If I get stuck there are loads of tutorials on youtube as well (usually after I haven't used it for a while) and it's very good software :)

KiarasGran

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:22:09 AM »
It depends on what you want to do with it.  Do you just want to edit designs or do you want to digitise and how experienced are you with machine embroidery?  Does your dealer offer support and lessons for all of the software on offer?  What machine/s are you using?  Brother and Bernina software offer things that work with their machines, like splitting designs so they line up easily on their machines (you have to do it manually for other makes) and cutwork needles.  Personally I don't like Embird but I know I am in the minority. Wilcom is the best but there is a learning curve, Brother and Bernina have loads of tutorials available online as does Embird but be aware they all have to be learned no matter how easy the dealer made it look in the demo.  ;)

Jo

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 09:56:15 AM »
Just wanted to post an update on what I decided :)
After testing Brother PeDesign, Embird and Embrilliance, I settled for Embrilliance.
It has a friendly use interface (Embrid seemd very outdated to me and not all that intuitive) and does everything I need it to do. Plus there are a LOT of tutorials out there.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
I've got Embrilliance as well, I've only used it a bit to edit some designs but it seems good and intuitive to use.

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 12:23:28 PM »
Hope you enjoy working with your programme Jo.

For anyone else looking for a digitising programme, do seriously consider Hatch which is made by Wilcom which writes digitising software for commercial/industrial and domestic packages.  Wilcom was commissioned to write the embroidery digitising software for branded packages for Janome, Bernina etc.  Things have moved on and Wilcom has brought out their own domestic package called Hatch.  It's excellent and the tech support is direct to Wilcom rather than via the machine company for packages like Janome MBX or V5. You can buy the whole package or build it up modular style.