The Sewing Place

Any reason why I shouldn't put a kangaroo pocket INSIDE a hoodie?

Lachica

I'm about to cut out a sweatshirt for DH. He wants deep pockets which his phone won't fall out of, ideally like a kangaroo pocket but INSIDE. I've drafted a pattern piece for this, but it'll have to be stitched onto the front, obviously, so the stitching line will show on the outside.  Is this the only drawback? Should I refuse & make in-seam pockets then put up with the moans about phone falling out? Put velcro on the pocket edge? (Last time I did this the hooked side kept pulling threads when it stuck to the wrong place). I have some very nice marble pattern French Terry which I don't want to mess up. Any suggestions welcome.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Any reason why I shouldn't put a kangaroo pocket INSIDE a hoodie?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 12:27:54 PM »
Could you put a zip in the pocket?   Personally hate Velcro for the reason you stated. 

Diane

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 12:31:12 PM »
You could put the kangaroo pocket on the inside then add a pocket on the outside to cover the stitching of the inside pocket?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 13:16:25 PM »
Blast it, lost my reply! @Diane good thinking but then I wouldn't need the inside one ... @Ohsewsimple I'd hoped to avoid a zip on stretch fabric but it is fairly firm & I guess interfacing the zip area would help?
Mary

Diane

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 13:20:07 PM »
How about doing the inseam pocket and then just add a press stud to secure his phone.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 13:21:37 PM »
Have you thought about putting the kangaroo pocket on the inside and either anchoring the bottom into the hem or putting a couple of pieces of tape on the bottom corners and stitching the tape into the hem? That way no top stitching showing.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 13:58:52 PM »
@Surest1tch that was my first thought. I drafted the pattern piece thinking the front of the sweatshirt would be one side of the pocket and the added piece the back. The bottom would be trapped by the waist ribbing but the top would need to be stitched to the front. DH says that will be fine, but the marble fabric varies in colour from dark navy through purple to pale blue & gold. So navy stitching is going to show. Still dithering. An outside kangaroo would work for me, but he's adamant he doesn't want that
Mary

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 14:12:03 PM »
@Lachica i interface all my zipper seam allowances, knit or woven.  If you have a stable interfacing, rather than a knit it should be fine. 

If you are putting it on the inside as @Surest1tch suggested you’d only need one layer attached as suggested.  The top would be the opening and not sewn to the garment. 

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 14:21:19 PM »
Thanks everyone. @Ohsewsimple leaving the top open would let things fall out if he does a handstand?! Not that he's likely to....I think I've talked him in to conventional inseam pockets, the RHS one with a zip. I liked @Diane idea of snaps until he reminded me his peripheral neuropathy makes small fiddly things difficult
Mary

Kad

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 14:21:59 PM »
@Lachica

When I do a coverstitched hem on a multi- coloured fabric I thread each needle with a different coloured thread, each matching one of the main colours in the design. I think that this confuses your eyes/brain as  the stitches are much less prominent whether using 2 or 3 colours, try it on a scrap first.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Sewbusy

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 14:42:02 PM »
Not sure if this will be helpful because it's a cardigan/jacket but maybe you could adopt the principle of the pockets for a sweatshirt. Nothing falls out of these pockets and it would just be the straight seamline showing between the pocket and side seams. I've made it a few times and had debated putting interfacing along the 'fold line' of the pockets themselves not just at the sides.

If you watch the video, my ramblings may make more sense!

https://www-pattydoo-de.translate.goog/naehvideo-cardigan-strickjacke-carina?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 14:43:35 PM by Sewbusy »

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 15:32:53 PM »
@Kad what a brilliant idea! Why has nobody told me that before?!! @Sewbusy thanks for the PattyDo llink. That looks a really good method for a long cardigan, I'll try that soon. I've cut my main pieces so will shortly be reinforcing the bejesus out of the pocket sides. Worst case, if I can't get them looking good then I can stitch up & he'll have to make do without pockets. I hope I have a zip in a suitable colour
Mary