The Sewing Place

Pre wound bobbins

Diane

Pre wound bobbins
« on: February 20, 2022, 14:49:57 PM »
Does anyone use prewound bobbins? Do you use a specific thread for the bobbin?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ouryve

Re: Pre wound bobbins
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 14:52:43 PM »
Unless I'm using a specific topstitching thread, I always use the same thread top and bottom.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Celia

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 15:28:51 PM »
I would only use  pre wound bobbins in an embroidery machines, I am sure other people might use them for other things.

Diane

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 15:31:02 PM »
@Celia I've just been reading up on pre wound bobbins and I think your right, best avoid those and just wind as i go.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 15:40:06 PM »
I always use the same thread in my bobbin unless I want a particular top thread. I would never use pre-wound bobbins.
Willing but not always able :)

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 12:14:10 PM »
Depending on what I'm doing I generally wind two bobbins with the colour I'm using, unless it's  something where what is at the bottom doesn't really matter.  I'm still using a Sidewinder though, I bought it around 2009 prior to selling my old Janome because it refused to wind a bobbin.

I don't think I could use pre-wound threads as Pfaff is a bit sniffy about what goes in, all the machines have a specific  bobbin.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 12:30:09 PM »
I never use pre wounds.  Not even for embroidery.  I wind a load of bobbins with embroidery bobbin thread at one time so I’ve always got a box of them ready to use. 
For dressmaking etc I wind what I  need.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 12:35:31 PM »
As I only use 2 colours of thread ( mid grey and light cream ) I wind 6 bobbins of each at a time. My machine doesn't like Guttermans so I usually use King  Tut
Triumph of hope over experience :D

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 13:30:20 PM »
Yes, I generally only use pre-wound bobbins. I rarely wind a bobbin these days as it’s too faffy.

Bought a box of 150 white thread filled bobbins and they’ve lasted me ages and I use them for most projects.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 13:51:33 PM »
Hi there @Diane  .... I recently ordered a few prewounds for Elvistoo from Doris Darby and used one the other day. I was delighted with it and will be ordering more when my few (15) are coming to an end.

Prewounds usually have a lot more thread on them and are wound at optimum tension and so far have stitched beautifully,
Ive never thought about using them in The Splurgess, I think embroidery thread and piecing thread are two very fifferent animals which could I expect cause problems.

Maybe you can get Prewound cotton bobbins???
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 13:53:04 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 14:14:23 PM »
@Iminei Wound with cotton thread? Is embroidery thread different? I’ll have to investigate and see if there are different types of wound bobbins

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 14:20:44 PM »
Very different.

As far as I know my embroidery threads (Madeira) are Rayon ... some ET can be polyester but they have a tendency to melt under a hot iron ....

Piecing and Quilting threads are cotton, but different weights (thicknesses)
100 for piecing and 60 or 40 (which are thicker) for quilting

Embroidery thread is very fine and not (I think) as strong ... which is useful when embroidering designs where the needle makes lots of passes ... if they did that with cotton you would soon end up with a right mess.

This is only what I have come to know through using Elvistoo ... Im sure there are far more learned heads here who can confirm and explain further!

Diane

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 14:28:33 PM »
I currently use Guttermann sew all thread for everything. I didn’t realise that there was different thread for quilting  :faints:

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2022, 14:38:32 PM »
Its just thicker so shows up the stitches more.

Celia

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2022, 14:40:20 PM »
Don’t tell the dark side quilters but a lot of people use the same as you   :faints:.

Just do not use Rayon embroidery thread to sew anything you want to stay together I have seen the results a few times, not pretty.

The tradition for using cotton thread is so that if there is any strain on the quilt the thread will break and the fabric will not rip, wether this is true I don’t know especially as the modern threads are so different.