The Sewing Place

Pre wound bobbins

Diane

Re: Pre wound bobbins
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 15:04:09 PM »
So ladies and gents, what brand of thread do you use for clothing? And what brand for quilting?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 15:09:20 PM »
Gutermann Sew-All for clothes and piecing of quilts, anything that's described as Quilting Thread for quilting, generally Superior or YLI.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 15:42:09 PM »
I use Gutermann Sew All all the time but then I am dressmaking and not quilting.  Also I prefer the Gutermann thread as it is consistently good and certainly less hairy than some other brands.  By the way our machinery is often very expensive and it really does pay to only use decent thread and certainly decent bobbins that are specifically made for your particular machine.  There is always a chance when using something other than say own brand bobbins that you get one that is slightly out of line with something or other and this could cause problems within your expensive machine, and thus could invalidate your guarantee.  The same applies to using feet that are not specifically made for your machine.

Back in my school days the only thread around was either Sylko or Coates and these were mainly available in a size 40 thread.  Occasionally you could get a 50 in the Sylko.  These were much thicker threads than those we use today.

I also prefer to use a good branded overlocking thread, I dislike Moon thread as it is too hairy, however the thread I loved was a  Belgian thread which was discontinued years ago and I then found one by Amann (Mettler Group) but I find getting that now is also difficult.

Due to the amount of work we push through our various machines, they do deserve to have the decent thread.  Back last year I was doing a lot of scalloping using Gutermann thread, and when I had finished the amount of debris and dust around the needle area on the machine was very noticeable and shocked me, if it was like that on top of the needleplate, what was happening underneath.

By the way it is the same with needles, Schmetz are the very best, and if you cannot get these then get the needles that came with your machine - there are far too many cheapy needles around and it is not worth the risk of damaging your machine.

Ouryve

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 15:44:07 PM »
I use gutermann sew all for clothes - extra fine for lightweight fabrics. I have a few old reels of sylko mercerised cotton and they're lovely to use when the fabric and colour suit - one is the absolutely perfect red which gutermann simply does not do - I save that one for where it will be on view. The gutermann cotton is not nearly as supple and my machine doesn't like it at all.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lilian

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 15:47:04 PM »
I use Gutermann for clothing and Mettler or Aurifil for quilting. I must try YLI sometime.
Willing but not always able :)

Diane

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 15:48:03 PM »
I've always used gutermann sew easy and never had any issues, there seems to be very little fluff in the bobbin area whenever i clean it out. I also use the schmetz needle all of the time, i don't buy any other brand.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 15:50:40 PM »
YLI, Superior, King Tut, Aurifil.
I can't make garments :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lachica

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2022, 16:09:51 PM »
I always wind my own. Pfaff bobbins are different to the standard ones so I don't think pre-wound ones would be available. I use Madeira bobbinfil for embroidery, I have black & white & wind several bobbins at a time. The thread is much thinner than standard. For clothing projects I like to exactly match the thread so wind a bobbin at the beginning. I have some Moon thread and some unbranded cones (from before I knew better) which I use on the overlocker. It is fluffy & when these run out I'll replace them with branded ones. I have a lot of the Lidl ones, some are good but others are uneven & fluffy & of course you can't tell when they're wrapped in plastic. The overlocker is fine with them but I wouldn't use them on the machine. The Euphoria coverstitch stitches fine with them though, which surprised me. @Elnnina I agree, machines cost thousands, why scrimp with cheap thread & needles.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

So Chic

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2022, 16:31:38 PM »
I don’t think I would risk pre-wound or even generic bobbins in my machine.  I only use Gutermann Sew-All or Mettler Seralon on my sewing machine but I use all makes of thread on my overlock and coverstitch machines without any problems. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2022, 18:15:43 PM »
I nearly always use pre-wounds in the embroidery machine, they are great!
For ordinary sewing, overlocking and coverstitiching I use Moon threads, work fine for me, and sooo much cheaper.  I buy them in fours as I do so much on the overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2022, 19:01:23 PM »
I am with @Acorn, Gutermann Sew-All for clothes and piecing of quilts.  For quilting it varies according to teh effect I want but usually a cotton.  For arty/pictorial stuff whatever is around.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Gernella

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2022, 19:04:07 PM »
I use various Gutermann running from 30 (top stitching) weight up to up Tera 180 for overlocking and the coverstitch.  Most of my colours are in Sew All 100 and Mara 120 and Toldilock 120.  I discovered recently that Sew All can be obtained in 1000m reels so I've bought some of them.

I've sort of worked up from fabric, pattern and one reel of thread.  :laughing: Only time I've had trouble was with a job lot of Mara that included some Coats, which when I tried I had 5 minutes of hell and clanking before I realised what was wrong.

Best to find out what your machine likes and stick to it although some machines are not fussy what goes under the foot, my Bernina overlocker is like that.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2022, 19:08:37 PM »
Back to the pre-wound bobbins.

If anyone has a machine which uses style F bobbins - a few older Brother, Consew, Juki and Singer models - I have 3/4 of a box of white and 7/8 box of black bobbins pre-wound with 3-cord soft cotton thread.  Yours for the asking, they were rescued from the skip about 15 years ago.  Full boxes contained half a gross = 72 for the youngsters who don't remember pre-decimal currency.

Check which machines can use them here
More info about pre-wound bobbind here.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2022, 19:11:57 PM »
I only do garment and some household sewing. Gutermann or Coates are best but I find I can often get away with cheaper Moon or overlocker thread. If I were sewing a really posh garment I would go for the better thread but for a cotton top the cheap stuff is usually fine  I've never used pre-wound bobbins.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ouryve

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2022, 23:32:34 PM »
I've ended up with Some Coated Drima thread from MIL's small stash and it's awful. I'm pretty sure it was better in the past.

Am I the one who finds the couple of minutes spent bobbin winding to be quite soothing?
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"