The Sewing Place

Dad and daughter greetings :)

HappyCampers

Dad and daughter greetings :)
« on: February 20, 2022, 15:27:40 PM »
I asked to joined here because my teenage daughter has requested a sewing machine for her birthday in a few weeks - and thats something we both want to get right - nothing more miserable than trying to grow in a new hobby and the kits not up to the job. Thanks for welcoming us in :)

She already has a fair bit of craft sewing experience and does seem to have a lovely knack of making nice things. School let her loose on one of their Bernina sewing machines recently and she is hooked

We have also been regular watchers of Sewing Bee for years, which possibly helped - with all the previous episodes back on iPlayer currently she is quite frustrated that she cant <have> her new machine right now . . .

edit - sorry issed a crucial word :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 07:34:03 AM by HappyCampers »

realale

Re: Dad and daughter greetings :)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 15:39:01 PM »
Hello and welcome. We're all helpful on this site so I'm sure you'll get some good advice.  :thumb:
So many beers, so little time.

Diane

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 15:41:14 PM »
Hello & welcome to you both, can't wait to see what you make  :)
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 15:42:13 PM »
Lovely! Plenty of helpful people on here to advise. Many will suggest a second hand one from a dealer, giving more for your cash, but since it's your daughter's birthday and she already has a good idea what she'd like (and she's already into the craft) I'd suggest a Janome or Brother. I believe John Lewis have a couple of models which they should let you try out. JL are also very good if you change your mind after trying it at home & want to swop models. It would be ideal if you could get to a shop to see & try. What part of the world are you in? Frank Nutt are supposed to be good, Barnyarns ditto. SMD in North Wales are very helpful online & by phone, I'm not sure if they have a shop front though. Scotland has Drummond's, also well known for their service.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 15:46:53 PM »
Oops! I've waffled on on the wrong thread! Welcome!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Sewbusy

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 15:53:47 PM »
Hello and welcome. @Lachica said she waffled on the wrong thread, but I think she gave good advice.

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 16:55:45 PM »
Welcome to TSP @HappyCampers.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 17:03:42 PM »
Welcome to you both.  Its always good to hear of young people getting into sewing.  Once you learn you have the skills for life even if you have a period away from it as many of us here have had.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 18:16:08 PM »
Welcome to you both.  If you need help there’s lots of knowledgeable folk here

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 18:19:36 PM »
Welcome @HappyCampers.
One of my greatest delights when a teacher was when 11 year old Emily said she had asked for a sewing machine for her birthday. As Ploshkin said, if you learn the skills you have them for life.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

charley

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 19:03:47 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

maliw

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 19:12:52 PM »
Hello and welcome , hope your daughter gets her machine . SMD at LLay Wrexham do have a shop - appointment only but very good they will help with vg advice if you get in touch with them
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lilian

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 19:56:00 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP @HappyCampers  :sew: :drink:
Willing but not always able :)

Kenora

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 21:02:40 PM »
A warm welcome from me too to both of you.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 22:51:25 PM »
Hello and welcome!