The Sewing Place

Caterpillar Crochet

b15erk

Caterpillar Crochet
« on: June 14, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »
Totally random project started when my Vogue dress project stalled.

I've wanted to do a Very Hungry Caterpillar blanket for our new GS (due soon), but I couldn't find a pattern I liked. 

So, a C to C blanket has been embarked on - I know, I've done a few!  ;)

This time however, my intention is to add a sort of hood, with the Caterpillar face on it.  Mainly white, with four primary colours - red, yellow, green and blue, with the hood in red.

I tried to crochet a caterpillar motif, but I couldn't find a decent pattern and my own efforts were a disaster.  I did find a lovely one, but the website is relatively new, and Ben hasn't had chance to put patterns up yet, as he is travelling.  Here's a link though, worth a look: https://www.crochet-hombre.com/crochet-hombre-works

Any suggestions will be gratefully recieved!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

Re: Caterpillar Crochet
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »
No ideas, sadly J but could you embroider the face on over the top of the crochet? How hard could that be compared with some of the stuff you've done before?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 13:01:23 PM »
Great minds Cat!  I've crocheted a red corner piece, and intend to sew a couple of yellow/green eyes and a nose on, and sew it to the corner.  A bit like one of those baby bath towels.

Nearly halfway there now, so it's a pretty quick project.

I'm looking forward to doing the Caterpillar pattern from the Crochet Hombre, but I think that is more of a rug size.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 15:27:54 PM »
Just checked out that guy's website, the Caterpillar rug is awesome.

I never seen a crocheted penis before!  I've !ead such a sheltered life.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 15:42:41 PM »
It's amazing isn't it?  I had to reach for the smelling salts when I saw the more 'personal' items!  :D

Jessie

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 22:23:38 PM »
First glance I thought the crochet penis was a willy-warmer - but on a closer look.......
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 22:58:18 PM »
Just did a search on the Hungry caterpillar and found this

:)  0_0  :)
That baby!!   Rofl
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 23:01:12 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

ScarlettPoppy

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Totally random project started when my Vogue dress project stalled.

I've wanted to do a Very Hungry Caterpillar blanket for our new GS (due soon), but I couldn't find a pattern I liked. 

So, a C to C blanket has been embarked on - I know, I've done a few!  ;)

This time however, my intention is to add a sort of hood, with the Caterpillar face on it.  Mainly white, with four primary colours - red, yellow, green and blue, with the hood in red.

I tried to crochet a caterpillar motif, but I couldn't find a decent pattern and my own efforts were a disaster.  I did find a lovely one, but the website is relatively new, and Ben hasn't had chance to put patterns up yet, as he is travelling.  Here's a link though, worth a look: https://www.crochet-hombre.com/crochet-hombre-works

Any suggestions will be gratefully recieved!

Jessie

Jessie, I know you may have done your blanket by now, but I just wanted to tell you how I did my caterpillar just in case you still need it. Apologies if anyone has already posted how to do one.
I just crochet a red round for the face, then each segment in the round in appropriate greens to the size I wanted, then I latched them together in an undulating way the VHC is pictured. Then I added the legs onto the rounds and stitched on a face to the first one. My granddaughter was thrilled with it. (i'll try and find a photo of it and show how it turned out).
ooooooooooo I should have read to the end of this thread, I see you have done it now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:51:24 AM by ScarlettPoppy »

Alexp

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 18:15:14 PM »
My Mum was asking if we wanted anything crocheted for the baby, we didn't really want pastel cardigans etc but a caterpillar outfit would be very cute.
I'd already requested a pumpkin hat (due in October).

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 08:57:16 AM »
Finished!

Well, better late than never.

Thought I'd post some pics.  Not a very good caterpillar, but at least he's finished.

Jessie

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 09:18:36 AM »
Lucky baby, that's a great blanket. I like the choice of colours against the white. Your caterpillar is excellent, again the colours are perfect. If another GC comes along I might 'borrow' your idea...

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »
Feel free SS! :)  It's based on the CtoC Spring into Summer - a very easy make.

The 'baby' is a year old now, but maybe DD will find a new home for the blanket.

Jessie