The Sewing Place

What does a novice "need" to accompany first machine?

HappyCampers

What does a novice "need" to accompany first machine?
« on: February 22, 2022, 18:20:48 PM »
Following on from the "what machine" thread my young daughter will also need some "stuff" to accompany her new sewing machine - would welcome your views

She has a few hand needlecraft items already that are probably good enough for now:
Hemline 20cm gold dress making scissors (her favourite), generic embroidery scissors and mini thread shears
Lots of embroidery / hand sewing needles and threads.
Lots of books with ideas, though the first projects aren't yet picked

Stuff she is planning on getting from local haberdashery:
Large glass tip pins (30mm, 48mm, bigger?)
A box of Guterman Sew all threads
Some spare machine needles (whatever the shop suggest)
A box of spare Brother bobbins (possibly with the little clips to keep the thread safe)
A small cantilever sewing box (or something) to keep stuff in

Stuff we aren't sure about:
What to stand the new machine on? Is it too heavy for a desk? Will is vibrate and need a neoprene pad?
Does she need top stitch thread and / or bobbin thread or is 'Sew all' exactly that?
What marking stuff to get, there seem so many choices?

And then there is the stuff we don't know we need . . .

Iminei

Re: What does a novice "need" to accompany first machine?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 18:36:05 PM »
All depends which areas of sewistry she is going to delve into.

I can help you with the Darkside stuff (P&Q) but as to lightside I havent a clue,

GOOD scissors I should imagine would be high on the list (for LS)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 18:54:47 PM »
Tape measure or ruler?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kad

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 18:56:08 PM »
My suggestions in addition to the supplies you already have include:

A tape measure, 150cm/5' marked with both imperial and metric NOT made of fabric - it stretches.

Dressmakers chalk pencil

For dressmaking you use the same thread in both the needle and bobbin so you don't need special bobbin thread.

Topstitch thread is not an essential accessory at first.

A seam ripper/ quick unpick - will become a good friend

Small of scissors with pointed ends for snipping seams and threads etc

Thimble

Seam guide to aid accurate seam allowances

Dressmaking pins - personal choice, I prefer long pins as fine as I can get. Some of the pretty ones are more akin to 6"nails.

Pincushion

Ironing board and iron

The sewing machine will not be too heavy for a desk and as most machines have a max speed of about 800 stitches/min there shouldn't be much in the way of vibration
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 19:01:54 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Cazlyn

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 19:04:00 PM »
I use Frixion Erasable pens for marking fabric - it comes off with heat.  Also some chalk pencils or Taylors chalk are always useful.  My sewing box is a canterlever tool box from Homebase/B and Q it holds loads.
Crafting is my happy place

Diane

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 19:17:11 PM »
Also a self healing mat and maybe a rotary cutter, fabric clips (like small pegs)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 19:27:30 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 19:18:12 PM »
I use frixion pens
Triumph of hope over experience :D

realale

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 20:11:21 PM »
I would suggest initially:  sew all thread, pins, tape measure, quick unpick, small scissors for snipping threads, cutting out scissors and perhaps a chalk wheel or pen.
There is a wonderful world of sewing gadgets out there and we are here to entice you with each one!!. There are several beginner 'what you need' videos on YouTube so it might be worth her watching a few of those. Also a good basic sewing book could be helpful, something like Alison Smith's 'The Sewing Book'.
Here's to a happy sewing life  :toast:
So many beers, so little time.

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 20:15:53 PM »
Definitely a good quality tape measure. Fine pins, I like glass headed ones because they're easy to see. A magnet for picking them out of the carpet. Seam ripper. A bodkin for threading elastic through (buy it when needed). A good first project would be a needle book. A couple of felt 'pages' inside to store needles. A pincushion could be the second project. For her first garment, iron on hemming tape is a great help. I would stay away from rotary cutters, many people seem to have nasty accidents with them. I have one  but am wary after a nasty cut on my first try. Other people love them though and still have the full count of fingers.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 21:01:51 PM »
There's a gadget you can get at Screwfix (and probably elsewhere) which is like a telescopic wand with a magnet at the end. This is absolutely invaluable for picking up pins which fall on the floor - and they will fall on the floor - without having to crawl about on your hands and knees.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 21:03:02 PM »
Why have I not got one of those???   :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 21:11:30 PM »
Mr Tamny got me it as a birthday present a few years ago - cost a couple of quid. Best birthday present he's ever given me.  :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2022, 21:13:40 PM »
It sounds like you've got most of it covered for a beginner except a good iron, golden rule for most sewing especially clothes is sew and press and some fabrics to practice with.

fajita

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 21:26:50 PM »
An iron and ironing board.

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2022, 21:27:26 PM »
I've just thought of her third project. Tailor's ham. Make the case using a fat quarter of quilting cotton. 100% cotton because polycotton isn't as heatproof & good quality because it needs a dense weave that the filling won't come through. Stuff very firmly with sawdust- the stuff sold for hamsters. I made this dinky one for pressing baby dresses, and the big one is for pressing sleeves.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.