The Sewing Place

March 2022 contest: Here comes summer! 1st to 31st March. Photos by 6th April

Flobear

March into summer

Be prepared with some lovely warm-weather clothing

1st to 31st March 2022

Make any item/s of summer wear such as dresses, shorts, T shirts,
beachwear, perhaps sportswear for a summer sport.

Timeframe:
Construction starts on 1st March and the items must be completed by 31st March.
Pattern adapting and cutting out, however, may start before the 1st.

Let's see photos of your fabric, pattern, cut-out pieces - progress piccies are always welcome
in this thread even though they're not part of the sewalong rules.

All entries need to be uploaded with the template below and at least one photo by 6th April 2022 

Please submit your entries in this thread using this template:

Details to include:

Your User Name and Entry Number  - 1, 2 etc if entering more than one item
What is it and for whom? (if applicable)
Fabric and Pattern/instructions used  - commercial, frankenpatterns or self-drafted, anything goes
A short description on how you made it  - any problems overcome etc.
Up to 4 photos shown on a dress form or modelled  (preferably no hanger shots, it doesn't do your creation justice)

PLEASE INSERT PICTURES WITHIN YOUR TEXT!

The winning entry will receive an exclusive TSP patch or badge

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 16:41:14 PM by Iminei »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bodgeitandscarper

Ooh 'eck, I can't even begin to think about summer clothes yet!!  Probably not until at least June.  Sorry!

Flobear

Ah well. If we get a warm spell in March, you might feel inspired  :D
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

I'm in (I think)  :thinking:

I've had the fabric out for ages, hanging on the back of a chair.  Just need to match it up with a pattern now...

I have a short break coming up in April in Cornwall, so I want something I can wear in a restaurant - just in case we get a heatwave!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Diane

Whats the most suitable fabric for making summer dresses? I'm looking for something that will hang really nicely and isn't clingy and is cool.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lilian

@Diane I think viscose drapes nicely and it quite cool to wear but I find it a bit difficult to sew.
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

@Diane I’m a fan of viscose too.  But I wouldn’t recommend it for beginners.   Liberty cotton lawn is beautiful to work with, hangs nicely, lovely to wear.  It is pricey but …….

SewRuthieSews

Ooh thanks @Flobear, I am thinking of some shorts. I don't really have the legs for them, but make ones which come just below the knee (where I'd have a dress finish) I think a khaki/taupe pair would be boring but very useful. I have just the fabric....

Tamnymore

@Diane there's nothing like Liberty lawn as @Ohsewsimple says but because it is quite expensive you might want to practise on a cheaper cotton fabric. For instance , if you look for jjtextilesmanchester on eBay you will find some nice cotton at good prices.

I should enter this challenge. I'll need to swap the overlocker thread to white for summer!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Diane

Thanks for the advice @Tamnymore @Ohsewsimple I'll have a look on ebay for that seller and see what they have. I might have some viscose upstairs, i'll check later, i gather it's a bit slippery to sew? Is it the kind of fabric that you would baste first? Is cotton lawn a bit see through or am i thinking of something else?
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Acorn

Another vote for lawn here - there is plenty around that isn't as expensive as Liberty, and some of it is nearly as nice!

Cotton lawn isn't usually see through, although possible some colours would be if you were standing against the light...

Viscose wriggles when it's under the machine foot.  It tries to pull or slip away and it stretches easily on any line that isn't straight grain.  It is nice to wear, though, and lovely to iron.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

Actually when I looked I didn't see as much cotton in that seller's eBay list as I thought but there is plenty of reasonably priced cotton around @Diane.

Pearl

There was some lovely cotton when I looked last night, @Tamnymore , but it seems to have sold overnight.

I’d like to join in but don’t think I could make a garment in a month of Sundays.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 09:50:16 AM by Pearl »

Iminei

It is nice to wear, though, and lovely to iron.

?????  I RON ?????  :rolleyes:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Tamnymore

@Pearl it wasn't me buying all the cotton honest! You darksiders who do all that detailed measuring and matching and sewing in straight lines could easily manage a lovely garment!
@Iminei in my student years, several centuries ago, I did a lot of garment sewing but I did not possess an iron so my creations must have looked a fright.