The Sewing Place

March 2022 contest: Here comes summer! 1st to 31st March. Photos by 6th April

Bumblebuncher

@Iminei My brain went the same way about iron  :o
I used viscose, but never again as it needs ironing every time you wash it  :laughing:
I find cotton is easy to sew, lovely to press and doesn't need to be ironed if you hang it straight up from the washing machine or tumble dryer  :D
I am pondering a summer dress, but not sure it fits in with everyone else's thoughts on a summer dress, but it would be a me summer dress lol
I have a pattern I was going to tweak but not sure it will get done by the end of March.  We shall see  :thumb:
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Diane

I was thinking about making 'C' i really like this dress and it would cover my upper arms which i'm not keen on.

I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Pearl

The thing is, @Tamnymore , a quilt doesn’t need to “fit”.

Ooooh, that’s nice, @Diane

Ohsewsimple

@Diane I’d go for cotton lawn and leave the viscose alone for the moment.  I’d hate for you to waste fabric.  I’ve seen several people get in a mess with viscose as they don’t  know how to handle it. 

Diane

@Ohsewsimple Good idea, i'm on the hunt for some but i am concerned that it's semi opaque  :embarrassed:, i'll report back
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:36:14 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ohsewsimple

Only if you choose a pale colour like cream.  And that’s the same for viscose @Diane  :)

Lowena

I'm cheering from the sidelines as I could never attempt to make anything to be seen worn. I just wouldn't have the patience, let alone the skill. Words like "grain" "interfacing" and " pattern weights" might as well be in Swahili.
Good luck to you all....... :grouphug:
P.S. I'm glad I'm a stock, ready to wear size  ;)
P.P.S. I iron everything, including towels, knickers and socks  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Helen M

Don't go for anything that is too lightweight @Diane, does the pattern give fabric suggestions? Cotton lawn is very lightweight and I'd say it would need to be lined, the main part of the dress that is.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Flobear

I doesn't have to be something for yourself.

Supporters and cheerleaders always welcome, @Lowena and @Pearl  :dance:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 13:06:03 PM by Flobear »
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Catllar

I was thinking about making 'C' i really like this dress and it would cover my upper arms which i'm not keen on.

Like that!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Diane

Don't go for anything that is too lightweight @Diane, does the pattern give fabric suggestions? Cotton lawn is very lightweight and I'd say it would need to be lined, the main part of the dress that is.
@Helen M I have a small amount of cotton lawn upstairs and it's quite thin and i think your right that it would probably need to be lined  :scream: I'm tempted to go with some viscose as it's much cheaper than the pricey lawn, it's only for me to wear in the garden so i don't need expensive fabric.....i'm cheap  :laughing: The pattern suggests, challis, linen, broadcloth, crepe de chine  :S

Starryfish

@Diane , I'm very wary of viscose, I have had such variable results from complete failure to success. It is a beast to cut out and can fray like mad.

I may well enter as I have some chambray to make a sundress/pinafore from.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Diane

@Starryfish I just wish i had a decent fabric shop near me but i don't. I have some navy viscose in my stash, not sure how much but if i used this and bodged it then it wouldn't matter too much, i'll have a search in abit and see if i can find it.

................................................................................
Just found it but there's not enough for a dress but would be for a top. I might look for a top pattern then i can try out the viscose on the sewing machine. This way i won't be wasting any money if i can't tackle sewing it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 14:23:10 PM by Diane »

Starryfish

@Diane , there isn't a decent fabric shop for dressmaking nearer than London for me. I have to shop online and at shows. Results can be variable to say the least. It's not always the most expensive that gives good results. I have decided with future viscose projects to use 5/8th seams, instead of the 3/8th that is common with my favourite indie designers (Style Arc especially).

Also I usually cut out on the spare bedroom floor and this is difficult with slithery viscose. I will woman up and clear off the dining table for it next time.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

K.H.

Ooh! I'm actually going to enter the competition this month! My first one! I am having an early "summer" holiday at the end of March to Gran Canaria and am already drawing up a pattern for a bikini! I am not a regular fit for most swimwear, a very long back, so I am using an existing bikini which doesn't fit especially well as a template and trialling it in some cheap fabric I have in my stash.

I have bought the material already, a rather  lairy pink leopard print.

If I have time I plan to make a sarong to go with it as well, we'll have to see.

Still learning!
My machine list: Toyota SPA34 and Janome Finesse 234 overlocker.