The Sewing Place

March 2022 contest: Here comes summer! 1st to 31st March. Photos by 6th April

Helen M

@Diane Have you tried Rainbow fabrics? They sell deadstock fabrics and have a lot of viscose. They price by the metre which is unusual these days and are quite cheap. Watch out that the description doesn't include poly as well as viscose. unless you don't mind that of course.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Ann

I am hoping to join in by making a summer's doll outfit. I have the pattern and the fabric ready to lay out today and then set aside as I need to set up my Juki and clean up a bit. I also need to starch and press the fabric for Xmas placemats. They are gifts for friends.

I am looking forward to doing something summery as we had about 6" of snow fall yesterday and last night. It is also cold out there. I'm ready for summer.
Stash Busting 2023
Goal: 50 metres

realale

I'm thinking of joining in by making a pair of culottes. I just need to rootle in the stash to see what fabric I have and then adapt the pattern I have. I made it years ago (think about 30!!!  :o) but since then I have expanded the pattern has shrunk.
I usually wear jeans shorts in the summer - just my normal everyday jeans cut off at the knee - but last summer I had a hankering for something a bit different. Hopefully they will look like a skirt but not be. Have to think about adding pockets as well.
I also would like a shirt waist dress. I love shirtwaist dresses. However, I rarely wear dresses......
I've got until Tuesday to decide!!  :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Kad

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Last summer I made 6 prs of cullottes, in 3 different lengths for DD and myself from  McCalls 7131. It's got pocketsies  :dance: and elastic back waist. I used viscose for most of them but one pr in a lovely soft chambray that had been marinating for many years in my stash. I can attest to an easy make and forgiving fit  0_0

Edited to add : after the first pr for DD I inserted a concealed zip into the LH side seam as she's a size 10 with a size 6 waist
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 15:41:16 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

realale

Oooh, that looks a nice pattern @Kad. I might just be tempted into a bit of pattern buying......  0_0
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

Love a pair of culottes.  I have an old Burda pattern which also appears to have shrunk!   :rolleyes:

Diane

@Kad I've just had a look at that pattern  :loveit: i remember wearing culottes many moons ago, so this is another pattern sitting in my Amazon basket  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

dyedinthewool

I might re-jig my sewing plans and make a sleeveless jersey "romper" that's on my To Do list instead of the more cool weather things I was going to make.

Catllar

I've got some cotton poplin for a dolman sleeved camp shirt ( with a few alterations) and some spotted crepey stuff to make  er, um,, something else. Also got some stretchy stuff viscose and lycra.  Give my new machine a good work out!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Kwaaked

I got this at the charity shop locally:

DD wants a pair of skorts/scooter skirt out of it.  Have to find some knit for the short part.  Pattern?  Who knows.  She isn't a standard size, I'll probably have to draft it for her.

All I got today for this contest.

Kwaaked

I would have had it finished today but for 2 reasons: 1) I actually had a client come on time with one more suit jacket then he intended to and 2) my kid's mom does alterations and therefore everything has to be just so. :\

The skirt needed to be taken in, which I knew...but it had to be taken in 4 times before I said, look, it's not going to be skin tight.  Stahp.  Now I have to hem it, and I don't like it.

Pressed and ready to go but my client came and I was like, yup.  Done for today.

Kwaaked

Your User Name and Entry Number  -Kwaaked
What is it and for whom? Skirt for my daughter
Fabric and Pattern/instructions used  - self-drafted, altered to an inch of its life.  100% cotton Waverly home dec lightweight fabric I got at the charity shop.
A short description on how you made it  - It is as basic as it goes.  2 rectangles, a waistband, partially elasticized.  Slightly big on her at the moment because she is complaining of everything hurting and she's due for a growth spurt.  This has been altered 4 times...she wanted a tight skirt, I said no.  Flat front to reduce the gathers.  I hate it (like I do most of my sewing), she likes it.  As she says, "It makes my butt look thicc!"

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 17:46:24 PM by Flobear »

toileandtrouble

Looking at the predictions for summer.  Very mini mini or maxi, cutouts (too cold even in summer up here).  White on white/cream, neons.   Gladiator sandals, biker jackets.... Underwear as outerwear.   I think I will go with what I have in the stash, fabric and patterns. 
Of course I could frighten everyone as an OAP in a very mini neon skirt and a full sleeved top with cutouts and a biker jacket in a different sort of fabric  - did I see fluid metallics as well?  Forgot to put in 'the' colour of the year -  Periwinkle blue with  purplish undertones...
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

Ooh - I love (toned down) gladiator sandals.  Periwinkle blue is good too, and maybe a bit of white on white/cream, but I think I'll ignore the rest.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

Lovely skirt @Kwaaked . Very attractive fabric.
Hmm @toileandtrouble I do have some DM gladiator sandals and they're blue. However as it's 1°C out there I won't have to look them out just yet.
I've now cut out my Marcy Tilton dress and T shirt to wear underneath both in stretchy jersey - dress in a flowery leafy fabric from Rainbow Fabrics and the spotty .jersey from Fabworks I think. The spotty fabric isn't all that stretchy so I cut a size larger just in case. As the Tilton dress has 18 separate pieces all cut out in a single layer the cutting out is a significant challenge in itself.  :S Onwards and upwards!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde