The Sewing Place

Stained Glass Embroidery Design

Iminei

Stained Glass Embroidery Design
« on: February 25, 2022, 09:07:17 AM »
Someone on here was embroidering some stained glass designs ... was it you @Acorn  ??

and I just wondered what they were? They look intensely coloured but there were no project details so are they just very stitch heavy or is there something special that sets them apart from a regular design????

Over to you Embroidery boffs ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

Re: Stained Glass Embroidery Design
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 10:41:11 AM »
I think it was someone doing this design - it wasn't me, but I do own the design, so I can tell you that each 6" square piece has between 56,000 and 88,000 stitches...  :faints:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 11:08:50 AM »
It was @sewmuchmore who did the stained glass embroidery @Iminei
Machine embroidery panels stitched together.

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 11:12:57 AM »
@sewmuchmore ... can you give me some input on what you needed to do, tips, hints and, of course,  pics????

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 17:07:46 PM »
@Iminei it is here
As mentioned in the post it each panel is heavy on bobbin thread, 5 for each panel.
The hardest part was getting the colours sorted. When you download from EL as a PES it try's to convert the colours to Brother because EL use Madeira threads. The conversions are weird and wonderful so i went into each file and manually altered the colours. I kept having to go back to the previous piece to double check that the colours all matched in the right places. I did realise when i had put it all together that i hadn't quite manage it on one leaf, see if you can find it.
Time consuming but looks lovely when it is done.
My next one will be the Japanese Garden but again it is taking time to sort the colours.

Obviously if you have the full range of Madeira embroidery threads you will not have to do this.
Hope this helps.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 17:48:21 PM »
The thread conversion and calculations are the reasons I haven't got started on it.  It automatically gives me Madeira threads and I have to convert to Gutermann.  So many threads didn't have Gutermann equivalents that it became a mammoth task.

Normally I ignore the thread numbers and choose by eye from those I have, but that in itself would be difficult because of the scale of this.

Looking at @sewmuchmore 's lovely finished version again is spurring me on though!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 18:20:18 PM »
@Acorn I use a mixture of brother/marathon/isacord and get frustrated with converting/guessing so i am in the process of making myself a chart that lists all the nearest colour numbers to the brother colours.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 19:30:37 PM »
WOWZER!!!

@sewmuchmore  ... are the background bits fabric or embroidery, I just worried about the amount of thread and stabiliser required

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 19:43:19 PM »
The white background is fabric, not stitches.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 09:48:57 AM »
As it is so stitch heavy does it pucker? Which stabiliser have you used and how much?

realale

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2022, 13:08:14 PM »
Just before Christmas I bought a stained glass nativity design which I haven't started at all yet. This may be something I do slowly through the year so I'm interested in all the info on stabilisers etc.
So many beers, so little time.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2022, 14:05:20 PM »
On something like this I like to use a medium or heavy cutaway.