The Sewing Place

Any way to reduce photos within a post

sewing in oz

Any way to reduce photos within a post
« on: June 15, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »
I've noticed that some threads contain extremely large photos on the page, but I can't find a link to resize or download so I can see the whole photo at once (eg: this thread http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1242.0.html) I'm wondering if this might be a rendering problem, but in any event do you have a workaround?

Francesca

Re: Any way to reduce photos within a post
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
If photos aren't resized, they are constrained to the maximum size of the writing area. That's really the only way it can be done because cropping every photo down on the forum software would just be a nightmare.

If you want to save the photo you can right click and choose Save Image.

Jo

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
What browser and operating system are you using?
I use Chrome on both Windows and Android, and the pictures scale to fit on both of them.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 09:29:26 AM »
Ditto  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:42:50 AM »
Using a Mac, pressing Command and - at the same time will zoom the page out so that the whole of a large photo can be seen (it also makes the text appear smaller).  Command and + zooms in.
(ETA - that works with Safari and Firefox)

I don't know what the equivalent on a Windows machine is but I'm sure it will be there.

On the iPad and iPhone both of the large photos in the link you quoted appear well within the screen area (in portrait mode) but pinching outwards will zoom it in to see detail.
(ETA - Both devices use Safari)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:44:42 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 15:56:01 PM »
I get the same thing and more often have a problem viewing them on my phone (iphone5) but when using the laptop I just right click the image and select 'View Image' which scales it down to fit the window.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

dolcevita

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »
I take my photos with my Samsung phone and then email them to myself.  Before sending, there is an option to resize the image and I usually opt for the 10% of original version.  When it arrives on my PC, I can save the image directly onto TSP without any problems.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 16:38:26 PM »
Emailing photos to myself is the way I do it too DV.  very simple method.

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 20:37:55 PM »
I like to keep a full size version & then save a reduced version separately if needed. I use messenger to send it to myself. I use GIMP if I want to reduce it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.