The Sewing Place

Hi from Worcestershire

Acorn

Re: Hi from Worcestershire
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2022, 09:02:24 AM »
I used to be the head cheerleader for the 'Overlockers are Evil' group on here.  Then I bought one... and I love it!

Sometimes I get a bit of scrap fabric and run it through just for the pleasure of seeing it stitch.  I was also surprised to find how often I use it on woven fabrics as well as stretchy ones.  So neat, so clever, and as long as you keep your pins well away from the blade, so easy!

(And welcome!  I used to live in Worcestershire.)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Diane

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2022, 09:36:17 AM »
Hello from one Di to another, look forward to seeing what you make
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 09:53:20 AM »
Hi Di and welcome.  I think you've probably  got the overlocker message  :). We're always happy to help, advise, cheer on and corrupt you.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 10:20:23 AM »
Hello there, and welcome @Di !

Another Overlocker fan here - and when you make friends with it, you will wonder how you managed without it!

Look forward to seeing some of your projects!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »
Hello and welcome  :VV:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2022, 12:43:57 PM »
Hello and welcome  :D
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Di

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2022, 15:39:58 PM »
OK OK I get the overlocker message!  I will start the next sunny day (I sew in the conservatory, its so cold in there this morning!) Its the threading that concerns me, I gave up last time I tried bt will give it another go. I have the manual, and rather hopefully have nearly finished a bag to store said overlocker in so I have to use it now.

To those who asked I am in Bromsgrove with a lovely view of the Malverns.

now off to browse the rest of the forum for ideas! Thank you all for the lovely welcome!

Diane

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2022, 15:51:51 PM »
@Di when I re-thread my overlocker I always watch a guy on YouTube then I can pause it as I go.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Di

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 15:53:54 PM »
@Di when I re-thread my overlocker I always watch a guy on YouTube then I can pause it as I go.
Great idea. I also saw somewhere tweezers help.

Diane

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2022, 15:56:34 PM »
Definitely need tweezers  :laughing:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2022, 15:57:55 PM »
I literally can't thread my overlocker without tweezers! And always have to work from right to left, not sure if that is just mine or all overlockers though.
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Diane

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2022, 15:59:24 PM »
I always thread right to left (I think)

Kenora

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2022, 17:15:01 PM »
Hi @Di - a warm welcome from me too.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lilian

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2022, 18:18:00 PM »
Welcome to TSP @Di Many years ago before I restarted my sewing journey a fellow colleague was always wear the loveliest of clothes, when I asked where she shopped she replied I make all my clothes on my overlocker! She didn't have a sewing machine.  I have even seen that you can do patchwork with an overlocker, so bring it from the corner and welcome it back to life.

Enjoy  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Helen M

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2022, 19:22:00 PM »
Great idea. I also saw somewhere tweezers help.

I thought all overlockers came with tweezers? Mine (a Brother) did back in 1989 and I'd never used them for anything to do with sewing before then. Wouldn't even try to thread without them!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55