The Sewing Place

Hi from Worcestershire

Ouryve

Re: Hi from Worcestershire
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2022, 23:36:28 PM »
My overlocker would plot my demise if I put her in the naughty corner.
Take her out, apologise profusely and talk her, gently, through everything you ask of her.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2022, 23:41:04 PM »
Mine has tweezers.

And it doesn't thread right to left. It's 3, 4, 2, 1. It's all colour coded to make it easier, with a guide behind the door, though.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Sewnow

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2022, 18:02:23 PM »
Hello! I'm also from Worcestershire originally, and had overlockerphobia at first. I need tweezers and really good lighting to thread it; I have a head torch for dark winter days. I remember reading a post by someone who could rethread one in under three minutes and can now join that club - it is doable and very worthwhile.
Although, cards on the table, I have a coverstitch machine which has become purely ornamental so I know how you feel!

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2022, 15:19:08 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too.

I recommend Chris James' book The Complete Serger Handbook.  I found my manual not terribly useful because I didn't know what I was striving for when I first acquired my overlocker, but this made it all obvious.

And yes, a pair of bent-nose tweezers is vital.  I've also found them useful with the sewing machine for getting pins out from under the presser foot, say, and use them all the time since I had to go to A&E to get the sewing machine needle removed from my finger!

Alikat

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2022, 18:12:54 PM »
Hello Di and welcome.  I am also trying to work through my mum's 'stash' (she is unfortunately now in a care home).  The trouble is I can't bear to get rid of anything she has been working on, but I am not a patchworker so am trying to come up with ideas to incorporate her patchwork pieces into something I can work on!!

Bjay

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »
Hi
I don't have an over locker   I do play on the Darkside and I live in Malvern.
Welcome
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Ellabella

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2022, 12:56:50 PM »
Upper looper, lower looper, right needle, left needle.  That’s all you need.

William

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2022, 14:33:10 PM »
Hello and Welcome!

How do You pronounce your town?
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.