The Sewing Place

Husqvarna Viking 19e Special Edition

Bodgeitandscarper

Husqvarna Viking 19e Special Edition
« on: March 01, 2022, 19:49:50 PM »
That's a nice snappy name isn't it? 
It arrived this morning, it's very beautiful  :loveit:  Apparently the 19e was first made in 1938, but I don't know how old this particular one is.  This is the Special Edition as it has a knob at the back to change from normal zig-zag to three-step or blind hem stitch.

I sat down to try it, and soon found some snags.  The stitch length knob was really stiff to turn, and the reverse button didn't seem to work.  When I tried to stitch, the fabric didn't move.  Oh dear!

After a bit of thought, I worked out that the stitch length knob and reverse knob must both be stuck with hardened old grease, so a bit of googling found how/where to access the mechanism.  It took a long time (most of the afternoon) with the isopropanol (rubbing alcohol), cotton buds, and sewing machine oil, and then pliers, to free off the stitch length, but the reverse button was still stuck in.  A bit more research showed the precise bits to wiggle and push, and now it's free.  :dance:

I've even sewed the bias binding round the insides of the brown leather wash bag that never got hand sewn.  The design  of the machine is just perfect for awkward items, as there isn't much machine to the left of the needle, both above it and beside it.  Also it just glides over multiple layers of denim without missing a beat, it's fab.  Even has a really nifty knob that makes it just go slowly if you need it to.

It's just what I needed  :dance:

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Husqvarna Viking 19e Special Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 19:59:04 PM »
Oops, forgot a piccy...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 20:00:00 PM »
Well worth the effort and every home should have a work horse @Bodgeitandscarper    She looks lovely.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 20:27:14 PM »
@Gernella  I'm fascinated to know why you said "she" and not it.
It is after all, just an inanimate machine?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 22:13:15 PM »
Actually @Lowena that crossed my mind as well because normally I call my machines by their names Passport, Expression Husqvarna etc., so 'it' would have come naturally to me.  Must have been because she's an old girl.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 22:20:54 PM »
Nice machine!

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 22:36:25 PM »
I'm glad you have found something suitable @Bodgeitandscarper it looks very sturdy.
Willing but not always able :)

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 22:38:39 PM »
@Lowena Anything beautiful, reliable, constant, hard working and special is a female.  Anything that is just there to do what it has to do and nothing else is a  male
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 16:28:16 PM »
@Gernella Similar model, that one's the 19, the one I have is the 19e Special - mine has an extra dial on the back by the spool holders to change from zig-zag, to blindhem, to three-step zig-zag.

SewCanDad

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 16:07:08 PM »
Never seen one of these machines locally, sadly. I'd be all over it if there was. Nice looking machine.

keepitsimple

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 23:28:37 PM »
Shhhhhh - we don't want too many people to know about these  ;)

Beautiful mid-century design, and tough as old boots. Unique as far as I know among domestic machines in having a mechanical low gear that as well as slowing the machine right down, also greatly increases its penetrating power. Other machines that have a 2 speed option generally just reduce the power to the motor.

You can sew anything you can get under the foot (with the right needle - think they will take up to 130) very very slowly if you need to.

You would have to prise mine from my cold dead hands.

The hook system is a bit odd and unique to Husqvarna, but it works well if it's adjusted properly. It is the hook mechanism that they tell you not to oil - the rest of the machine needs it like any machine of that era.

The 1000 range and 6000 range machines are a very similar internal design with the same low gear gizmo. Also pretty well made, but not nearly as stylish as the 19/19e/21 "Green Goddess" machines.

Too many machines...
Singers: 185K (2 of them), 201K (2 of them) & 401G. Bernina Records: 600, 730, 801 & Nova 900. Bernina 1011, Modern Berninas B480 and B750. Elna star SU. Necchi Lydia 3, Husqvarnas: 19e Special, Optima 150, Viking 1020 & Viking 6570. New Home/Janome: 551 & 609.

kowgiirl.up

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2022, 14:49:26 PM »
Oops, forgot a piccy...

I love it! To me, the lettering makes the machine besides the just plain cool factor.
Runs with scissors ✂️ ✂️✂️

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2022, 15:19:14 PM »
I made a see-through cover for her cos I couldn't hide her beauty  0_0

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 13:19:35 PM »
I have one of that model and think it's fabulous, the only drawback is I can't find metal spools which I prefer for it so have to make do with plastic ones.