The Sewing Place

My third bag with a lot of learning

Marniesews

My third bag with a lot of learning
« on: March 02, 2022, 01:40:30 AM »
Well this took over 2 months to make with rather a lot of time when I wasn't up to sewing but it's finally here.

It's a sling bag style (Retro Sling by Kandou Patterns) for my cat lady DGD to use at uni to carry her MS Surface, Kindle, notepad and other stuff. She likes something a bit smaller and sleeker than a full backpack and loved the pretty fabric I used for her mum's bag so hopefully those things met each other succcesfully here.

There were three distinct areas of change from the pattern which was perhaps a bit adventurous for such a complex bag (my third bag but only second pattern) so I suspect being ill and having more time to surf/ponder/plan proved very useful.

1] A fair bit extra width & height to get the mini laptop in. It changed the proportions to get the bulk of extra space in the centre and extra zip length for access but hopefully it's not lost the original vibe entirely.

2] Another clone of this style had two zipped compartments which I liked but the finish of the samples wasn't the best and I often have printing issues with non UK patterns so I decided I'd draft my own onto the simpler Retro Sling. I couldn't find any tutorials that covered the construction technique on that extra zipped compartment so I used my non-sewing time to work out the construction so the main compartment stuck with a bound finish inside (for extra support and very much easier to turn out) while the front compartments and flap were birthed through the zipper pocket.

3] The sling strap/backpack strap conversion has worked so nicely - I'm really pleased with that. I stole the idea from my lovely Italian leather mini sling/backpack which I've shamelessly used and abused and one of the main reasons I decided to take up bag making properly. I doubt I'll get to that until I've made a few more things for other people though.

Some pictures of the inside with a variety of pockets. The wooden block is my compact clapper just to keep the bag open while taking the shot. They'll lie flatter after the bag has been stuffed for a few days to open up the seams fully - can't do too much pressing of the outer fabric.

Main compartment, foam padded back and laptop pocket. I hacked on a last minute little 'catcher' pocket for accidental ink marks below the pen loops. Fingers crossed it works. DH surprised me by suggesting I used the fold-over elastic from the mesh pockets for the binding when I admitted I was rather dreading it and it worked brilliantly. We'll see how it stands up to use but not too bad to replace if necessary.

Middle compartment, mesh pocket for Kindle opposite zipped pocket containing 6 card slots.

Front flap

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 03:28:21 AM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Acorn

Re: My third bag with a lot of learning
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2022, 06:12:17 AM »
Very nice indeed - there's a lot of beautiful, detailed work in there.   :thumb:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2022, 06:36:57 AM »
That is stunning work. So well thought out. I do like the single strap conversion to 2 straps. The fabric is brilliant too. Lucky GD. 
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2022, 10:13:46 AM »
That is a lovely bag @Marniesews - I'd buy it!  <3

Very versatile with the split strap too.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2022, 10:20:49 AM »
That’s a lovely bag @Marniesews .

Do you stuff the bag well and leave it overnight to help with the shape?

I made a tweed bag and have never been happy with it, perhaps I should try this.

BlueCat

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2022, 10:38:13 AM »
That is a lovely, well made bag, and the attention to detail is superb.
I know how time consuming and difficult it is to make a good bag, so I can appreciate all the hard work you have put into it.  :thumb:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 10:41:16 AM »
That looks super, well done!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2022, 11:54:31 AM »
That’s a lovely bag @Marniesews.  I’m sure she’ll be thrilled with it. 
Lot of work and working out. 

Celia

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2022, 14:17:14 PM »
That is brilliant I am sure she will love it.

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2022, 15:41:15 PM »
Super bag, I like the clever strap(s) arrangement, a lovely  present for your DGD.
Still learning

Marniesews

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 15:44:11 PM »
Thank you all for such a lovely response.

@Ellabella I don't feel exactly well qualified to answer your question being so new to this game but I've certainly read comments from more experienced maker saying that's what they do. I have some small plastic sealed bags of air that came inside purchases in the past (can't remember what though). I saved them to stuff my own handbags when in storage.  I used those for the two previous bags that I made as gifts and left them in when I gave them to the recipients. They asked if I wanted them back, I didn't refuse.

@Lachica that upholstery fabric has been a godsend. I bought several metres of it some years ago now from Immanuel's back room (£1pm) with the vague idea of making a weekender bag or some such. I've made all three bags out of it so far plus a big doll's bed/carrying bag and still plenty left for that big weekender bag one day - hopefully for me this time! It's a delight to sew having a soft polyester fibre (I think) and a sprayed on backing of white foamy almost marshmallowy stuff which gives it a lovely body and also remarkably easy to sew through lots of layers. Everyone seems to love it and so far it's gone to people who aren't likely to bump into each other in the street unexpectedly.  ;)

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 16:21:36 PM »
Bargain then!   I love the colour.

realale

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 21:50:14 PM »
That's a superb bag @Marniesews:perfect10: I too like the split strap idea, very versatile.
So many beers, so little time.

Bill

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2022, 15:20:30 PM »
Wow that's impressive! If I didn't know better I'd have thought it came straight off the shop shelf  :D
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 09:11:19 AM »
That is a triumph.  I too like the split strap.  I have a bag with one that I bought many years ago and it is so useful to be able to use it like a backpack and have both hands free.  I'm sure the recipient will love it, let me know if she's not keen and I will give you my address  :)
Life's too short for ironing.