The Sewing Place

I've Kidnapped the Splurgesses Sister!

Celia

Re: Janome or bernette?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2022, 09:15:48 AM »
I personally love my Janome, I have used and still own three makes but it does come down to the individual model and also what you want from a machine.

The bernette is a smaller machine not so much room between the needle and upright
 7mm swig on the bernette so the decorative stitches are not so wide

Janome comes with an enhanced straight stitch due to the second plate and the needle position for straight stitch
Janome also comes with the walking foot which is called the acufeed.

It really is a different beast but of course there is a big difference in the price but don’t go for one that you will instantly regret and still be looking for the right machine.

I can only say this because I have been looking for the ultimate machine for years and have learnt at long last there isn’t one.  Everyone’s likes and needs are different.

Good luck in whatever you decide, I do agree with @Diane though if you do decide to go for the Bernette consider the Amazon one, ok you won’t get lesions or anyone to ask but it does come with a guarantee and if you don’t like it you can return it within 14 days and no questions asked.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2022, 09:34:24 AM »
Im a Janome girl through and through .... except for embroidery machines when its Brother V3 for me.

I have a brand new, mint in box Quilting set for the Atelier range @Bill  ... if youre interested. These used to be used as an inducement but since covid theres no need and they retail at ... I believe .. just over or under £200 from Janome and not much less elsewhere.

If you're worried about things being brand spankily new go for the Bernette (never heard of them) if not go Janome.
If its an ex demo machine it should be serviced by the shop before it gets to you ... ask them .. if it hasnt been make it a stipulation of the sale.

If its ex demo it wont have been that well used .... You can tell how much a machine has been used quite easily by looking in and under the accessories compartment/top lid for traces of lint/thread/specks of dust.

The only machine I have had brand spanky is Elvistoo and its great unpacking all the bits but I have been very lucky with my 2nd hand purchases .. The Splurge (the 5) still had the red tape securing the needle cover to the main body of the machine and the Splurgess had made one quilt and had been kept immaculately.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2022, 09:48:46 AM »
And another thing @Bill if you are thinking of the demo model phone couplings and ask them how much it has been used, they will usually tell you.

I have seen ex demo machines that have never been used and I have seen some that have been used for classes for over a year before being sold as ex demo so it can vary. I also know of one dealer who regularly sells things as ex demo when they are in fact new, it is a way of reducing them without getting into trouble from the manufactures.

Can you tell we are interested in what you buy :laughing:

Bill

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2022, 09:52:15 AM »
I've been umming and aahing over this since yesterday.
I was being swayed that the bernette had more stitches (500 ish) , an extension table and was brand new.
The current brother has 294 stitches. I use about 3 of'em on a daily basis.  :headbang: What the hell am I gonna do with 500 of'em?  :laughing:
@Iminei s quilt set I'll be grabbing soon as the money is there and let's face it, the atelier has been on my wish list ever since I saw someone here get one. Not sure who it was but it looked the business.
So that's it settled. If it sits there long enough for the finances to come through.
I'll hopefully soon be a fellow janome user.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2022, 09:55:26 AM »
Yes ALLLLLLL those stitches!! seducing you ... if you use a tenth of them you'd be in the minority.

Make sure its been cleaned and serviced by the dealer and they give you a years warranty .. All standard stuff.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2022, 10:01:53 AM »
If you have decide phone them and see if they will keep it …….

Bill

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2022, 10:03:05 AM »
Getting really frustrated atm.
No one's getting back to me about possibly lending the money till it clears and someone's hogging the line at Couling. GET OFF THE DAMN PHONE!

Bill

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2022, 10:07:48 AM »
YES!!!
They're holding it for me.
It's is an ex display which has been sitting there half the year which they couldn't shift. Comes with a 2 year warranty :)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2022, 10:17:34 AM »
Excellent news @Bill - you'd better bloodyming like it when you get it  :laughing:

Cazlyn

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2022, 10:36:51 AM »
Fantastic news @Bill really pleased for you.  I’m sure you’ll love it.
Crafting is my happy place

Diane

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2022, 10:47:33 AM »
YES!!!
They're holding it for me.
It's is an ex display which has been sitting there half the year which they couldn't shift. Comes with a 2 year warranty :)

Well done @Bill  :thumb: Ask them if they'll throw in an extension table for free :P  :devil:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Silver Rose

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2022, 10:48:36 AM »
Great news @Bill  :thumb:
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2022, 11:27:15 AM »
BrillI really don’t think you would be happy with the Bernette, I love my Janome

Bill

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2022, 11:34:04 AM »
It'll be here tomorrow!
 :dance: :thumb: :dance:

Diane

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2022, 12:11:18 PM »
Well done @Bill We need lots of pictures, you know the rules  :laughing: :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40