The Sewing Place

Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans

SewRuthieSews

Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans
« on: March 03, 2022, 11:57:33 AM »
I keep on looking at the Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans, and thinking they would meet a wardrobe need for me.
I have 3 pairs of RTW jeans which fit but after a while the waistbands cut into my squidgy middle.
These look like they would look like jeans but still be comfortable, and I'll donate my RTW pairs.

Has anyone tried these, and if so what did you think?

An alternative could be removing the waistband from my RTW pairs and replacing with something elasticated but not sure how I'd deal with the zip.

b15erk

Re: Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 12:08:33 PM »
They look nice @SewRuthieSews . Is the waisband elasticated like jeggings? I have a couple of pairs like this (RTW), and they are very comfortable.  Sometimes jeans waistbands can feel restrictive especially if you are - like me - short waisted.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 12:49:22 PM »
They have good reviews.  The waistband looks bigger in the photos than the line drawings. 
Not sure how you could deal with RTW unless they were stretchy to start with.  I’ve never owned a pair of jeans.  Even when I was young and size 10/12 I never found anything comfy.  I’m not a lover of waistbands and always preferred facings. 

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 13:31:11 PM »
@b15erk, yes Jessie there is elastic in the waistband.

I don't have any jeggings as I can't get the fit in RTW (in multiple places) but I like the idea of these. The pockets work!

Ouryve

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 13:54:22 PM »
Jeggings never have adequate pockets, either!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 14:12:56 PM »
I'd probably make a test pair in some stretch twill I dyed and it went a bit wrong. I have loads of it.
(It was really bright pink and I tried to make it more of a burgundy with grey dye, but it sort of looks dirty).

https://robynneandthebobbin.wordpress.com/2018/03/12/itch-to-stitch-mountain-view-pull-on-jeans/
seems to be quite a helpful review,

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 13:11:44 PM »
So need to decide on format for the pattern.

Downloadable for $10 USD from Pattern Review
Or for $12 USD from Itch to Stitch
Or in the UK for £11 from The Fold Line
which also has a Printed Copy Shop version for £18.

I can't work out why PR are cheaper than ITS themselves, but hey ho. I subscribed to ITS newsletter hoping for a discount code but nothing forthcoming .

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2022, 12:07:08 PM »
I've bought the pattern as a pdf, opened it in Adobe Acrobat and was able to just print my size (as it uses layers). Not started on the sticking together yet!

Clareew

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 10:33:38 AM »
If you are a member of PR you get a discount on patterns - this is why the pattern is cheaper than from Itch to Stitch

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 10:38:49 AM »
Ah thanks for explaining that @Clareew

I have trimmed the pages hoping to stick together later today.
Also dug out some stretch woven fabric with the requisite stretch. Its a dark charcoal grey (faded black?) so could be a wearable muslin if the fit is OK.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2022, 11:04:06 AM »
If you are a member of PR you get a discount on patterns - this is why the pattern is cheaper than from Itch to Stitch

Didn’t know that    :rolleyes:

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2022, 17:26:33 PM »
Pattern assembled and pieces cut out of a stretch woven fabric with about 30% stretch.
I've added to the back crotch and back rise, but otherwise stuck with the straight size 16 as this was closest to my measurements. Have to see what they come out like.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2022, 16:36:00 PM »
Now wearing my test Itch to Stitch Mountain view jeanstrousers. They are not bad, but could be even better.

Alterations made to original pattern
- extra length added to back crotch in 3 places
- stuck the two back leg pieces together and cut as one
- left off a lot of the topstitching
- although I cut out the back pockets I've not put them on (yet)
otherwise sewn as per pattern

Suggested tweaks for next pair
- take in at upper back crotch and back yoke
- make back waistband smaller and much more curved
- have shorter length of elastic for back waist.
- shorten leg length by 1/2” (or take a slightly larger hem!)
- take a narrow seam on inside leg to allow a little more room on thigh
- scoop the back crotch curve to allow for low derriere

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 08:55:57 AM »
I've prewashed some stretch woven fabrics - 2 stretch denims (one normal, one very lightweight) and some plain black so will peg them on the line to dry and use them to make some more pairs of Mountain Views.

On the dark blue medium weight denim I'll do all the topstitching as per the pattern in a suitably jeans like colour of thread (but not using topstitching thread). I think I'll get out my backup sewing machine as well and have one threaded in black and the other in gold/orange. The newer machine might be better for the topstitching though as it has more needle positions (every mm) so I can keep the older machine for doing the seams.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 11:46:19 AM »
Look forward to seeing these.