The Sewing Place

Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans

SewRuthieSews

Re: Itch to Stitch Mountain View Jeans
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 14:17:10 PM »
Whilst the other fabric is drying I cut some more out of a very dark brown stretch twill.
Currently debating topstitching colour
- black
- Dark brown
- cream

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 15:14:02 PM »
Is gold too bold? Ooh! :rolleyes:

realale

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 16:52:04 PM »
When I make jeans I try to use two machines and keep one for the top stitching. Saves all the hassle of changing thread etc.
I'll be interested in how you get on with these.
So many beers, so little time.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2022, 17:28:05 PM »
@realale , they are the best thing since sliced bread. They look like jeans with pockets and everything, but then have a wide stretchy shaped waistband with elastic inside it, so comfortable to wear (I find normal jeans waistbands feel like they are cutting me in half when I sit).

I am planning on making lots of pairs in different stretch wovens, some more jeansy looking than others.

The dark blue denim will definitely have classic gold topstitching, but perhaps something a bit more subtle like a fawn brown would be nice on the dark brown, probably need to do some experimenting on samples and see what looks the best.

realale

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2022, 17:57:20 PM »
Ooops, just seem to have bought this pattern  :embarrassed:
So many beers, so little time.

Diane

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2022, 19:02:07 PM »
Love the look of these jeans  :loveit: and they have accidentally fallen into my basket as well  :rolleyes:

It states to use stretch denim that has 20% to 30% stretch? How do you know how much stretch the denim has?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 19:08:03 PM by Diane »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

coffeeandcake

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2022, 19:54:03 PM »
It states to use stretch denim that has 20% to 30% stretch? How do you know how much stretch the denim has?
Measure 10cm on your fabric, then check to see how much you can stretch that 10cm to 12 - 13cm ie 20 - 30%. The pattern will often have a pictorial gauge that shows the points between which 10cm should stretch.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2022, 22:08:22 PM »
beautifully explained by @coffeeandcake
I have a little ruler with percentage stretch marked on it I got from a lady on facebook
but really a normal ruler is fine, and just do as indicated.
The pattern doesn't actually cover finding the stretch of the fabric, but various you tubers do.
You really do need to have the right percentage stretch for the trousers to work. If its not got enough stretch the trousers will be hard to get on and feel really tight, though some people have dealt with that by sizing up.

I will show you what mine look like once they are done.

Kwaaked

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 03:18:58 AM »
I don't know if your jeans are different, but usually when I have to replace zippers in them, I open the waist band just enough to remove and replace the little tags zippers have.  Zips aren't all the way into the waist band so adding elasticized waistbands shouldn't be an issue.

Diane

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2022, 06:33:21 AM »
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 11:56:39 AM »
Here are some flat pictures of the trousers/jeans so far, not added the back pockets on either (yet) although I've cut them out. However I think that together with the visible topstitching they are important to give the jeans look.
I have a sticky-out full rear so have altered for that, hence why the backs look a bit odd when laid flat ;-)
I've not used the two piece back leg either, initially as I didn't have much fabric, but I also don't fancy the feel of the seam across my bum and back of the leg.

the wearable muslin pair (in a dark grey stretch woven)

The dark brown pair with light brown (fawn) topstitching (and 2" elastic)

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2022, 12:02:49 PM »
Clearly some of my topstitching is a bit wonky!

I've now watched quite a few Youtube videos on these and different people have done different alterations/adaptations including lots of slimming the lower leg, changing the width of the waistband, altering the back rise etc etc.

Ouryve

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »
Looking good. And how fast are you?

I'd be tempted but with my lack of bum, I tend to need a belt or cord to keep them from falling down.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2022, 18:26:25 PM »
I put the back pockets on the brown pair and they do look quite jeansy, but are snug - fine for standing up in but a bit tight when I sit.
I've just checked and they only have about 15% stretch in the fabric (I thought it was more than that) which must be why.

The whole area of stretch wovens is a bit of a minefield so I think basting the main side seams before finalising is probably a good idea on this pattern. Once its overlocked and topstitched its a bit late :-)

Anyway I was happy enough with them to cut out the ones in the classic dark blue stretch denim, which I plan to topstitch in gold to look as much like jeans as possible.

b15erk

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2022, 20:16:30 PM »
They look excellent @SewRuthieSews , and very much like a KwikSew pattern I already have...  I must have a look for it...

Look forward to seeing your pockets, I have to say, I often leave them off - I don't need attention drawing to my situpon. :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.